Roland Piano Kit for RD700GX and Clavia NordPiano

Groover

• Members

Nice demo's. Both pianos sound good. I would say the Nord sounds more realistic. In that middle range, the Roland sounds ever so slightly artificial in my opinion and seems to lose a bit of power. Regarding the action, the RD definitely has the better piano action but then you pay for it with the weight of the board. 25kg compared to the Nord @18kg.

What does everyone else think?

• Members

The Nord has a much fuller, richer sound, based on these demos. Something about the Roland doesn't sound quite right, though I don't really know what...

Props to Roland though for really improving their piano sound. So much better than the standard samples.

• Members

Pretty hard to say with that much background noise...

While it might sound good on it's own, my experience is that Rolands piano's easily get lost in a (rock) band mix.

Indeed, that is a crucial factor for a lot of people. I used to own a Roland RD-150 which struggled to cut through in the mid range. I actually think my old Technics P30 does a decent job but lacks a certain presence.

So, Tomkeen, you also own a Kurzweil PC3 right? What do you think has the better piano sounds then? The Nord?

• Members

So, Tomkeen, you also own a Kurzweil PC3 right? What do you think has the better piano sounds then? The Nord?

The Kurz's piano samples are old. Really old, lol... They're not bad at all, and the VAST engine really gets a lot out of them. The Kurz is very very playable, dynamic, and it cuts through the mix like one of my butcher knives through a high quality filet mignon. But I do think the Nord has better samples, yes. I played a couple of different samples on a friends Nord Stage (the older ones) and I like them better than the PC3x's. I have high hopes for their new big-ass samples.

• Members

So do I, Tom. My hope is that they - and the upright- and rhodes-samples - will be released one of these Messe days.

I do realize that the Piano is indeed a "piano", but looking at the picture just below the uToob vid, 88 keys inevitably just is huge. They should've made / must make (for me!) a 76 version at some point, my guess is that more people will be buying that.

• Members

They should've made / must make (for me!) a 76 version at some point, my guess is that more people will be buying that.

I would agree. Since one of the benefits of the Nord is its relatively light weight, it would be even better to make it as compact as possible. It is not like it has an ivory touch wooden key action, so its main market will not be for people playing classical masterpieces. Rather, it is surely aimed at gigging musicians looking for a great piano sound in a lightweight pro keyboard. From that point of view, 76 makes good sense. It is of course called the "Nord Piano 88", suggesting that a "76" could yet arrive...

• Members

So do I, Tom. My hope is that they - and the upright- and rhodes-samples - will be released one of these Messe days.

I do realize that the Piano is indeed a "piano", but looking at the picture just below the uToob vid, 88 keys inevitably just
is
huge. They should've made / must make (for me!) a 76 version at some point, my guess is that more people will be buying that.

I think that between the Electro, Stage and now Piano that Nord feel there is enough choice if you want a 76-key model. And I'd think the Piano would weigh much less than the average 88-key board, right?

• Members

by Goofball Jones:

I wish more manufactures would do this as you buy a ROMpler and then you're stuck with all the onboard sounds.

That depends on what kind of rompler you buy. I have a MotES8 and it has a sampler. I can load up all the sounds from the Yamaha Motif library provided I have enough sample RAM (it supports 1GB). The ES series has USB 1.1 and is somewhat slower than 2.0, but I load up sounds and save them into User Patches. I can save those sounds in the Song mode tracks. When I load up a song, the sampled sounds are loaded with the song, so it doesn't take all that long. I load an entire set of songs before I start a set and it takes less than a minute. I have also used some nice string sounds from Yamaha's library and saved them with songs too. I can also buy 3rd party sounds at reasonable prices. I don't feel like I'm stuck with my ES8. I have it over 5 years and it still sounds great and does the job.

I like the Nord piano sound better than the Roland. However, both of them sound very good. Think back to what we were playing 10 or 15 years ago and I'd say they're all good.

Cheers,

Mike T.

• Members

I like the Nord piano sound better than the Roland. However, both of them sound very good. Think back to what we were playing 10 or 15 years ago and I'd say they're all good.

Agreed. I was only 9 fifteen years ago and was using a Yamaha PSS something or other!

Regarding the Nord, the other advantage is the variety of acoustic piano sounds. They seem to have finally nailed a good bright sound that would cut through a mix well, yet they also have warmer sounds like the new upright samples etc. Looking forward to hearing the Bosendorfer samples that are on their way. Then Nord will offer Steinway, Yamaha, Bosendorfer, Schimmel and Petrof. Not a bad selection!

Archived