Can somebody with experience take a look at these JCM800s for me?

atbear

• Members

I'm looking on ebay for a used Vintage JCM 800.

I've come across these two that look pretty clean:

1980 2203

1983 JCM 800 2204

I just want to know if these are any good from some people on here with experience looking at amps... Are these the models with the proper caps (before Marshall switched the design)? I know they are both verticle input models, which is good. Does everything look in order? Which is the better deal?

Anything else you can tell me about these?

Thanks!

Drew

• Members

They look pretty clean from what I can see in the pics. The filter caps are original in both amps. The 100 watt amp has the increased filtering which some guys find desirable. All the 2204 models had the same number of caps.

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by JerryP

They look pretty clean from what I can see in the pics. The filter caps are original in both amps. The 100 watt amp has the increased filtering which some guys find desirable. All the 2204 models had the same number of caps.

Jerry

Thanks! Glad you ventured into my thread...

Do you see anything that needs attention in either? Which one do you think is the better amp/deal?

Also, would it be wise to move on either of these amps... or should I wait for a cleaner one to come up in the future for around the same price (I know you'd be guessing, but you definately have more experience than me)?

Thanks again!

Drew

• Members

Jerry

Also, in your experience, what can you tell me about the reissue vs. the vintage amps? Have you had many/any come through?

Thanks,

Drew

• Members

Originally posted by atbear

Also, in your experience, what can you tell me about the reissue vs. the vintage amps? Have you had many/any come through?

Thanks,

Drew

I can't really make out much in the pictures, too hard to make out all the details but they appear to be stock. The only things I see for sure are original caps. I can't say which is a better deal, that depends on what you're after. I personally prefer 100 watt amps, but that's me.

I think they sound great regardless of the number of caps. I think too much gets made of that. I had a reissue come thru the shop and to my ears it didn't sound any different than my original 2203 with only 3 caps.

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by GRIFF10672

so watcha going to boost it with????

I have a few things. My favorite thing right now with my Carvin V3 is my Keeley modded TS-808. It's warm and thick. I also really like my Keeley BD-2. It's high output with good bass and very transparent. Then there's my Keeley SD-1, which is known to be good with Marshalls...

So, I have options! :cool:

• Members

I have a few things. My favorite thing right now with my Carvin V3 is my Keeley modded TS-808. It's warm and thick. I also really like my Keeley BD-2. It's high output with good bass and very transparent. Then there's my Keeley SD-1, which is known to be good with Marshalls...

So, I have options!
:cool:

{censored} man .. that's going to sound friggin nice ..

• Members

Originally posted by GRIFF10672

so watcha going to boost it with????

I recently started messing around with my 800 and between the SD-1, Zoom PD-01, Bad Monkey and Boss EQ.... the EQ had the best tone to my ears basically because you have more tone shaping ability and I guess the true sound of the amp is not as altered, just eq'd.

Basically if I had a choice of one boost it would be an EQ of some sort.

• Members

I had a reissue come thru the shop and to my ears it didn't sound any different than my original 2203 with only 3 caps.

Jerry

Cool... I'll try to look into those too. Thanks again!

Drew

• Members

Originally posted by Speed_Racer71

the ones with the 6 caps are more popular than the ones with just 3..what jerry said..thats the one thing i remember from this article..is a long one but it covers the 60's to the early 80's

Thank you for posting that article. I wondered why my Canadian JCM800 didn't have a 16ohm tap, and he gave me a clue.

• Members

So, I have options!
:cool:

I use a stock BD-2 and I LOVE it...I actually like it better than the SD-1 for what I do but both of those will rule with the JCM800:love:

• Members

Originally posted by Japetus

I use a stock BD-2 and I LOVE it...I actually like it better than the SD-1 for what I do but both of those will rule with the JCM800:love:

I agree... I do like my BD-2 better for a boost than my SD-1, so far.

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

Oh....well when you called dibs I thought you were crazy.....
:)

Hehe... didn't want anyone stealing them while I was still asking questions! I'll take that down...

Archived