Looking for info on Mojotone 4x12 Marshall style cabs

atbear

• Members

I'm likely going to buy a Marshall JCM 800 2203 soon, and I was looking at 4x12 cab choices. I remember hearing that the Mojotone 4x12 Marshall style cabs were excellent.

What can you tell me about them? Is there any particle board in them like the newer Marshall cabs, or are they all ply? How well are they built? Any comments on them?

Are the speakers rear loaded in them?

I'm looking for the best sound and best construction I can, but don't wanna spend $1K on a new Marshall vintage cab. I also already have the speakers I want to load in there (2 V30s and 2 G12H30s), so the empty Mojotone sounds like a great deal.

Does the size of the cab offer depth of tone and good bass? How would the tone of these cabs be described?

I'd be greatful for any comments, info or suggestions.

Thanks!

Drew

• Members

PM Vlad. He has almost the same setup that you're looking into. I've looked at these cabs myself. In particular the 2x12 horizontal cab. And if it sounds as good as it looks I just might get me one. From what I've read, this company builds many other amp manufacturers, including boutique amp makers, cabs as well. So they must be good, right?

Oh yeah, do you happen to know their website address. It's not showing up on google.

• Members

Originally posted by El Guapo

PM Vlad. He has almost the same setup that you're looking into. I've looked at these cabs myself. In particular the 2x12 horizontal cab. And if it sounds as good as it looks I just might get me one. From what I've read, this company builds many other amp manufacturers, including boutique amp makers, cabs as well. So they must be good, right?

Oh yeah, do you happen to know their website address. It's not showing up on google.

Thanks, man...

I have a PM to Vlad on the way. I remember he had one.

Yeah, it doesn't show up on Google for some reason... it's www.mojotone.com

• Members

Yep, I have a mojotone cab. Actually a Germino cab, but was built by mojotone. It's solid - all ply, good construction. Basically the same as a vintage marshall cab in terms of speaker mounting, etc. I took the speakers out of my 1975 marshall cab and put them in the mojo cab and it actually sounded noticeably better than the original cab...go figure!

• Members

Originally posted by ratter

Yep, I have a mojotone cab. Actually a Germino cab, but was built by mojotone. It's solid - all ply, good construction. Basically the same as a vintage marshall cab in terms of speaker mounting, etc. I took the speakers out of my 1975 marshall cab and put them in the mojo cab and it actually sounded noticeably better than the original cab...go figure!

So does that mean the speakers are rear mounted, not front mounted?

Thanks, man!

Drew

• Members

Originally posted by atbear

So does that mean the speakers are rear mounted, not front mounted?

Thanks, man!

Drew

In their marshall-style cab at least (the only one I'm familiar with), they are rear-mounted, yep.

• Members

Thanks, guys...

I'm leaning towards the Mojotone Marshall style 4x12 straight cab.

Only options I'm looking at are the castors... any other options I should look at?

Just gonna get black with salt and pepper.

Is their standard Marshall straight cab the '68 Plexi style cab, or is that different/special? Anybody know?

Drew

• Members

Hey man... Got your PM.

Ok... About mojotone.

They're all ply. No particle board. Very well done where it counts. The inside is very solid. The cab is really resonant and sounds terrific. I got mine unloaded and put speakers in them myself. They're based on the '68 4x12 specs to the best of my knowledge.

The only really small things I didn't care for was:

1) The input jack plate is a small plastic thing. It works fine for me, and I'm sure it's durable enough and easy to replace if it cracked.

2) The speakers are mounted on these T-Nut things. They work fine when they're mounted well. I had one that stripped and the thing would spin. It took alot of work to get the speaker out. I learned a very important lesson there. Do not use an electric screwdriver to mount the speakers. Hand tighten only and make sure you're in perfectly straight. Lay the cab face down and take your time installing the speakers.

These are 2 little nitpicky things I could think of that pale in comparison to what the cab sounds like and how it's made.

I also have the straight cab.

• Members

Originally posted by vlad

Hey man... Got your PM.

Ok... About mojotone.

They're all ply. No particle board. Very well done where it counts. The inside is very solid. The cab is really resonant and sounds terrific. I got mine unloaded and put speakers in them myself. They're based on the '68 4x12 specs to the best of my knowledge.

The only really small things I didn't care for was:

1) The input jack plate is a small plastic thing. It works fine for me, and I'm sure it's durable enough and easy to replace if it cracked.

2) The speakers are mounted on these T-Nut things. They work fine when they're mounted well. I had one that stripped and the thing would spin. It took alot of work to get the speaker out. I learned a very important lesson there. Do not use an electric screwdriver to mount the speakers. Hand tighten only and make sure you're in perfectly straight. Lay the cab face down and take your time installing the speakers.

These are 2 little nitpicky things I could think of that pale in comparison to what the cab sounds like and how it's made.

I also have the straight cab.

Thanks, man!

So, besides the fact that the jack is made of plastic, it looks ok? It looks to be wired well/circuit looks good/simple? Do the wires on the inside have clips on the ends for attaching to the speakers?

Did you just get the stock Marshall style straight cab?

Thanks again!

Drew

• Members

Thanks, man!

So, besides the fact that the jack is made of plastic, it looks ok? It looks to be wired well/circuit looks good/simple? Do the wires on the inside have clips on the ends for attaching to the speakers?

Did you just get the stock Marshall style straight cab?

Thanks again!

Drew

Mine didn't come wired. Yeah. It's basically the little plate around the input jack that looks a bit chincy. The actual input jack is solid as anything. Very neat and clean inside.

I got the Marshall straight in purple, with casters and the stock salt and pepper grill cloth. It looks awesome. I would have gotten the skid plates for the slant cab to be stacked on top and maybe the tan cloth for no other reason than it looks more authentic to what Marshall put out in those days. Apparently, they put tan basketweave on purple tolexed cabs.

• Members

The one on ebay that roknrob linked me to is the black tolex with tan basketweave version... Looks great, but I was set on the salt and pepper... maybe they can build/order me one...

Thanks, guys!

Drew

• Members

The one on ebay that roknrob linked me to is the black tolex with tan basketweave version... Looks great, but I was set on the salt and pepper... maybe they can build/order me one...

Thanks, guys!

Drew

They're all custom order and the upgrades are very reasonable. I think it cost me $20-25 for the purple tolex.

• Members

They're all custom order and the upgrades are very reasonable. I think it cost me $20-25 for the purple tolex.

Yep, but not for 100 bucks off like that one! ;)

I'm gonna email him and see if he can get me the Black/S&P for that same price... not sure if he's a dealer, or if he just has one in his shop...

• Members

Yep, but not for 100 bucks off like that one!
;)

I'm gonna email him and see if he can get me the Black/S&P for that same price... not sure if he's a dealer, or if he just has one in his shop...

For a $100 it's worth it regardless of grillcloth. They're really awesome cabs.

• Members

For a $100 it's worth it regardless of grillcloth. They're really awesome cabs.

$100 off, not $100 total! I wish!

I'm gonna look around and try to find the best price on the one I want... if I can't find it, I'll just go through Mojotone themselves...

Where did you order yours?

Drew

Archived