EQ's in the loop and such...

Themetallikid

• Members

SO I'm thinking about my rig and the EQ in the G major I have in the loop.

I usually eq the preamp controls with some cut mids, not a lot, but enough to get a heavier rock sound. Then when I kick into a lead I boost the mids on the G Major.

If i'm cutting the mids before the loop, what mids will the G Major see to boost?

Would I be better off running more mids on the pre amp EQ and then the EQ of the G Major taking them out for that sound?

I guess my thought is if you take something out before it gets to the loop, how is it going to get boosted? you know what I mean?

• Members

You're not taking them out before the loop, you're just cutting back on them some. If you *completely* removed them, then yeah, boosting them later wouldn't do you any good, but that's not what you're doing, is it? :cool:

• Members

no, thats not what I'm doing. I'm not taking them out completely, in fact I turn them down to about 4 cause my cab is pretty 'middy' anyway.

I was just thinking that if you keep the mids in the Preamp, it would be easier to dial in a sound by Equing out certain frequencies through the G major in the loop.

I'll hav eto try that.

• Members

Some preamps sound smoother when you cut certain frequencies and then reboost them later. For example, I run an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop of my Traynor YCV50 that boosts the bass. Why? Because I cut the bass to about 2-3 at the preamp level as I've found that it reduces the amount of bass flab if you run a less bassier signal through the preamp and then boost it back afterwards. It's clearer, tighter, and sounds better IMO.

• Members
Originally posted by Themetallikid

no, thats not what I'm doing. I'm not taking them out completely, in fact I turn them down to about 4 cause my cab is pretty 'middy' anyway.

I was just thinking that if you keep the mids in the Preamp, it would be easier to dial in a sound by Equing out certain frequencies through the G major in the loop.

I'll hav eto try that.

I setup my Mesa F-100 on the overdrive chanel for as slightly midrange sound, which is excellent for solos. Then, with the G-Major, I drop the mids with the EQ for my rhythm sounds and turn off the EQ for solos all per patch. I also add 2-3 dB boost for solos via the output level.

• Members

I do the same thing for volume and such, but I have gone the other way with cutting the mids for my normal sound and then adding them back in for leads...my logic says the otherway would make more sense....but I'll try it out...

Here's the thing, if you amp's tone controls come before the distortion creation in the preamp, then adding and subtracting mids will have a drastic effect on your tone, because you're affecting the frequencies that get distorted (lots of mids and highs = crunchy, lots of lows = muddy). The Mark IV works this way as do a lot of older amp designs. If the tone controls are after the preamp distortion, the boosting or cutting of mids on either the amp or G-Major will be similar so it won

• Members

hmmm, interesting part of the equation i didnt consider...I would assume that most are after the preamp section....as otherwise it would be like putting an eq before the amp...

I run a Peavey JSX, which also has the active EQ's.

Yeah, active controls are generaly after the gain stages. Really, the G-Major's parametric EQ and the actives on the JSX could probably cancel each other out given the boost/cut the same band.

Boosting with an EQ or running an overdrive pedal into the front of your amp will change the character of the distortion like I was talking about. This method is a good way to add an alternate voice to an amp, tighten the lows, etc.

• Members
Originally posted by The Idiot

I like running my boss rge-10 in front of my amp for boosting. It sounded like ass in the loop, too muffled.

Generally, when a pedal sounds like ass in the loop, it's because the loop was designed pro-line level (rack) FX instead of stomp boxes.

Archived