OT: College Financing.

defense

• Members

Hey,

Anyone else here pay their way through life and school? I pay all of my own bills including a car payment, tuition, books, car repairs, and everything else. Did anyone else do this, it seems that I am the only one... It gets quite frusterating at times, but at the same time I can always say "I don't owe anyone {censored}." How much debt were you in after Uni?

• Members

I'm about to start my 7th year at uni (6th year of classes) and I have zero debt. That, and I haven't had a job during the school year ever. There was a few small scholarships in there, and a few loans from the folks, but most of it was me working my ass off during the summer and then being a tightwad all year long :D

• Members

I have to go through my parents for loans and {censored}, but I'll be paying them back. I am paying all my own bills through work or loans/grants, but our genius President among others has made it tougher and more expensive.

I'll be in debt. Who knows how much? Yeah and I agree all the kiddies who have parents that pay all their bills can suck it.

• Members
Originally posted by Harvest

I'm about to start my 7th year at uni (6th year of classes) and I have zero debt. That, and I haven't had a job during the school year ever. There was a few small scholarships in there, and a few loans from the folks, but most of it was me working my ass off during the summer and then being a tightwad all year long
:D

If I spent 0 money throughout the year, I'd still have to deal smack and suck dick to pay for my school on summer jobs.

My parents are helping out, we'll see what can be done. I should get financial aid when my sister goes to school, I'm getting close to nothing now from Financial Aid. My parents put away money when I was first born into high interest accounts (12% or so) and then also put a bunch away through "NY Saves" whcih allows up to 5k per child ot be put away per year before taxes, so to save money on taxes they maxed out on that for a few years and we just lived tight at home as they put 10k a year for me and my sister for like 3 or 4 years. Also I did get 16,500 from Siemens which helped.

Anyway, when school costs 46k a year, it's a little bit from everywhere.

• Members

Yeah, post-secondary education is partially public funded here, so it's not quite the same as in the states where you have to pay out your ass. Tuition is just under $3000 a semester (5 classes), books usually about $500, and then living expenses are around $750 a month or so including rent (I've been living off of $300 a month for food+entertainment while going to school).

So if I manage to save 12 grand or so during the summer I can make it through the year.

• Members

Originally posted by Harvest

Yeah, post-secondary education is partially public funded here, so it's not quite the same as in the states where you have to pay out your ass. Tuition is just under $3000 a semester (5 classes), books usually about $500, and then living expenses are around $750 a month or so including rent (I've been living off of $300 a month for food+entertainment while going to school).

So if I manage to save 12 grand or so during the summer I can make it through the year.

Man I'd be lucky to make 5k-6k this summer and I have the best paying job of anyone I know...

• Members

co-op rocks! ~C$10,000, and that's with me working in Peterborough, Ontario (higher paying jobs in Toronto). Scholarships are great too. In my third year with 2 years to go, zero debt so far. Kind of worried about my masters though... the current tuition for an 8 month masters is apprx C$14,000... eek. It'll be worth it when I graduate. I hope.

Sure, my parents pay for some of my stuff, but in my family, it's not a big deal. When my dad wanted to buy a car, and wanted to pay for it outright, he used some of my co-op $$. no biggie.

• Members

Originally posted by defense

Hey,

Anyone else here pay their way through life and school? I pay all of my own bills including a car payment, tuition, books, car repairs, and everything else. Did anyone else do this, it seems that I am the only one... It gets quite frusterating at times, but at the same time I can always say "I don't owe anyone {censored}." How much debt were you in after Uni?

I did it. Ten years later I am still paying the student loans. Lots of turds will try to tell you they did it by themselves when they were living at home or got subsidized by parents.

I would only do this if the major will give you a definite career $$$. Student loans for an english major or psych major would be suicide at this juncture. Rates are going back up and college is getting more expensive, at least in the uSA.

Good luck. It can be done, but need to know that your peers who graduate with any assistance will get the house much sooner.

Unfortunately, college is for the elite. I worki n engineering and the vast majority of students got significant funding (at a minimum living expenses) from the parents. Some of them paid tuition but were subsidized by family and have no idea how much harder it is to (really) do on your own.

Again, good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by Thenabi

I have to go through my parents for loans and {censored}, but I'll be paying them back. I am paying all my own bills through work or loans/grants, but our genius President among others has made it tougher and more expensive.

I'll be in debt. Who knows how much? Yeah and I agree all the kiddies who have parents that pay all their bills can suck it.

You are subsidized. LOL. You are one of the twits who has a nice security blanket even though you need to pay it back.

• Members

I dropped out of school after two years to avoid debt. It's not the right choice for everyone by any means, but it was the right choice for me. I was a music major, so I'm making more money now based on my brains and experience than I could have hoped for with a music degree and $600/month in loan payments.

• Members
Originally posted by AtarisPunk29

Man I'd be lucky to make 5k-6k this summer and I have the best paying job of anyone I know...

Well busting your ass for 60-70 hours a week in the oil patch isn't the funnest way to spend a summer, but it paid (the vast majority of) the bills :thu: I haven't really blown much money on gear either, which really helps.

I'm doing a paid internship right now which pays dick all, but since I got to do it for 16 months, I was able to save enough for the coming school year again.

• Members
Originally posted by defense

Hey,

I waited until I got a job that paid 100% tuition before going to school :cool:

• Members

i'm very much in the same boat right now...having to make a car payment, rent, insurance, band expenses, tuition, phone and internet bills, food, a small personal lone, and these ridiculous gas prices :mad:

it's rough trying to pay for all that, and make time for school, band, girlfriend, and sleep...but in a few years i should be sailin a lot smoother

my gear addictions don't help me any, but i gotta have something to keep me from going crazy :thu:

• Members

My student loans were the best money I ever spent. I guess you have to be careful to major in something that pays well enough to pay the loans off. Also I went to a community college for two year, so I deferred some cost there, and busted my ass to finish in four years.

Archived