So many players sacrifice vibrato for speed

Random Hero

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

What makes you think one is sacrificed for the other? I've heard loads of slower paced players with unusual, or no vibrato.

That francisco kid is an example....stupid kinds of speed and a vibrato that makes his mother cry it is so bad.

I believe that is what Mr. Random is talking about.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Digital Jams

Says the guy with the best vibrato on the forum
:p

That's highly debatable but thanks for the kind words!! I'm sure that Blues players would hate my vibrato which brings up a point. Vibrato is high subjective!!

• Members
Originally posted by Extasyguy

Ralph(Gainfreak) is a perfect example of speed, vibrato, tasty note choice. I always wondered what makes my favorite guitarists so good and its the ability to express themselves on the guitar not just with speed but more importantly, proper and unique vibrato.

Thank you kind sir!! That said... a bit off topic but.......I am jonseing for an x-box 360 :D

• Members

Originally posted by fancynapkin

I think the proper application of vibrato is neglected by most guitar players in general. Theres a time for fast vibrato, slow vibrato, wide and narrow.

Absolutely. For a long time, back when I was almost exclusively playing metal, I only had a fast, wide, super severe vibrato. When I started taking lessons a college, I knew that I wanted to branch out, but that was something I didn't even think of.

Finally, after several months of lessons, my teacher told me I was making good progress in my sight reading, scales, triads, and improv, but I needed to work on more subtlety with my vibrato. It was really hard for me to re-learn it. Eventually, it took a week or so of playing nothing but "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" and "Samba Pa Ti" to get it. I have to say, it really added a lot of depth to my playing.

• Members

Originally posted by Digital Jams

That francisco kid is an example....stupid kinds of speed and a vibrato that makes his mother cry it is so bad.

I believe that is what Mr. Random is talking about.

But what evidence is there that vibrato was sacrificed in order to build speed? Do you see what I'm getting at? Some players just don't seem to "get" vibrato, regardless of their playing style.

• Members

Originally posted by gainfreak

I hate to say this but most players sacrifice vibrato period. I think that it is the most overlooked technique in guitar.

The funny thing is that I don't remember anyone really discussing it much in the pre-trem days.... it just sort of happened, good, bad or ugly it just happened.

• Members

But what evidence is there that vibrato was sacrificed in order to build speed? Do you see what I'm getting at? Some players just don't seem to "get" vibrato, regardless of their playing style.

I guess in his quest for alt picking speed and the hours of mentronome work he never gave thought to a good basic vibrato standard to practice as well.

To sum my thoughts up best I am going with that a vibrato was not high on his list of levels to achieve.

Hows that :confused:

• Members

The irony is: I think it's harder to develop clean alt picking than it is to develop a nice singing vibrato.

I think forums like this one and things like YouTube videos give a false sense that everyone is after speed and not vibrato. I'd dare to say that there are many more people with better vibrato than picking speed.

• Members

Originally posted by gainfreak

I hate to say this but most players sacrifice vibrato period. I think that it is the most overlooked technique in guitar.

Not most players...most beginniner to intermediate players. Unless we're talking Jazz where it clearly is a capitol offense to put a wiggle on the note.

• Members

Well...here's how that usually goes. Young player gets turned on by flashy stuff and that's what he wants to learn. Sitting there wiggling a note in time doesn't seem so hip. Until later when the sexy part of a vibratoed note comes into play.

• Members

Originally posted by Urban Ghandi

The irony is: I think it's harder to develop clean alt picking than it is to develop a nice singing vibrato.

I think forums like this one and things like YouTube videos give a false sense that everyone is after speed and not vibrato. I'd dare to say that there are many more people with better vibrato than picking speed.

There are?!?!?! Not from what I've heard.

• Members
Originally posted by Ed DeGenaro

There are?!?!?! Not from what I've heard.

Then maybe Walnut Creek, CA is the singing vibrato capital of the world. :D

I just think when you compile all the styles out there (not just rock) I'd be inclined to think there are more note benders than speed pickers. Hey, I'm not saying they're all good at what they do but bending strings come easier than flying up and down a scale.

Just the shear number of people that play guitar that aren't into shredding, bend notes more than playing "flight of the bumble bee."

No?

• Members

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

i think a lot of people just find that one or the other come more natural to them

i don't think i'm terribly good at either, but i'm probably more of a speed guy

That's all fine and good. BUT...in the end speed is no bid deal. You can teach about anybody who wants tto put the effort in to get a reasonable amount of dexterity.

But vibrato is your sonic finger print.

• Members
Originally posted by Urban Ghandi

Then maybe Walnut Creek, CA is the singing vibrato capital of the world.
:D

I just think when you compile all the styles out there (not just rock) I'd be inclined to think there are more note benders than speed pickers. Hey, I'm not saying they're all good at what they do but bending strings come easier than flying up and down a scale.

Just the shear number of people that play guitar that aren't into shredding, bend notes more than playing "flight of the bumble bee."

No?

Probably..but choice does not necessarily have anything to do with ability.

• Members

Meh, just play the damn guitar already.:mad:

As soon as I was able to hear the notes that I was playing I was able to start doing different things with my vibrato, but I only started to hear these things after playing the gitar for a while.

It sure was frustrating having to learn your fingers to move a little string back and forth a little.:mad:

Archived