OT: Aids is not a disease

CrashDavis

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by CFH1919ETERNAL

ok, what im saying is anything that can be avoided, is not a disease.

so now, the only defining factor on whether something is a disease is whether it's avoidable? That's an ignorant comment.

• Members
Originally posted by T2Russo

obesity can be caused by chemical imbalences in the body, or an abnormally slow metabolism

alcoholism can be exaserbated by genetic predisposition

depression is caused by chemical imbalences in the brain

obesity and alcoholism can be dealt with by simple abstinence, depression cannot

ya gotta think a bit more about what these things are

Most people that suffer from depression, have had something happen, in their life that can be attributed to causing them depression. Many have been abused, many have made poor social or financial decisions, some are children raised in non-optimal environment. To me, depression is a condition, nothing more. Everyone goes through hard times, it comes down to how you have been conditioned to deal with it.

• Members

How come a 5 year old smiles at his birthday and has a great childhood, then reaches 18, gets dumped and is forever {censored}ed?

I worked in a psychiatric hospital on the children's unit for 10 years. There are plenty of 5 year olds with psychiatric illnesses, including depression.

You are truly an idiot.

-Mark

• Members

i had a discussion earler tonight about diseases. i think that obesity, aids, alcoholism, depression etc etc is not a disease. I believe theyre all choices. And diseases are more like retardation, crippleness, etc etc. what do you think? Discuss

retardation, crippleness are handicapes, not diseases.

i didn't read the rest of the post, but this has got to be a troll thread right?

• Members

Originally posted by scottosan

Most people that suffer from depression, have had something happen, in their life that can be attributed to causing them depression. Many have been abused, many have made poor social or financial decisions, some are children raised in non-optimal environment. To me, depression is a condition, nothing more. Everyone goes through hard times, it comes down to how you have been conditioned to deal with it.

This is absolutley untrue. The depression was there before these conditions existed, and the depression was exacerbated by lifestyle choices and events. If a complete psychosocial history is taken, research shows hat this is the case. Someone who is depressed doesn't necessarily make optimal choices. Also, I have cared for plenty of people who suffer from depression and have, as some would say, 'no reason' to be depressed, as they are well off, normal childhoods, positive choices in their life, etc.

Being depressed is a condition or mood, but suffering from depression is something completely different.

-Mark

• Members

A disease is any abnormal condition of the body or
mind
that causes discomfort, dysfunction, or distress to the person affected or those in contact with the person. Sometimes the term is used broadly to include injuries, disabilities, syndromes, symptoms, deviant behaviors, and atypical variations of structure and function, while in other contexts these may be considered distinguishable categories.

Another definition of disease.

I think the problem is that you dont know the definition of disease.

• Members

Originally posted by T2Russo

obesity can be caused by chemical imbalences in the body, or an abnormally slow metabolism

alcoholism can be exaserbated by genetic predisposition

depression is caused by chemical imbalences in the brain

obesity and alcoholism can be dealt with by simple abstinence, depression cannot

ya gotta think a bit more about what these things are

I think this is all far-fetched bull{censored} that has been brought to us by the good ole' doctors that speak as if their knowledge is truth. The doctors that have said the above have no real proof of anything. Our knowledge of the human body, and the world, for that matter, is infinitely smaller than what anyone would care to admit. I think all of the above, minus a few rare cases of obesity, can all be fixed by a strong mind.

The way I look at is this; life is no longer about survival of the fittest, meaning there are both mentally and physically weak people that would not have survived less than a century ago. Because of this, we're seeing an influx in the weak and all of their traits.

• Members

Originally posted by Matter-Eater Lad

People are obese because they eat HUGE portions. It's not a disease. I'll never buy that one. I don't care how many studies are done.

There is such thing as an over-eater....but come on. YOu gotta know by now that obesity is something that runs in families because of its strong connection to genetics. People who are overweight are not just in a battle with food... but often with their own genetic design.

And some people are overweight because they have problems with metabolism and dont burn off that half of pizza as easily as you or I do. That is not "choice".

• Members

i had a discussion earler tonight about diseases. i think that obesity, aids, alcoholism, depression etc etc is not a disease. I believe theyre all choices. And diseases are more like retardation, crippleness, etc etc. what do you think? Discuss

So you are saying that these things that have been medically proven to be diseases are not...

OK....dumbass...

LOL

Steve

• Members

This is the most retarded thread ever.

Are you going to tell a child born with AIDS that he made a choice? How about someone with an unfaithful spouse or partner? Someone who was raped?

Yeah.. they made some bad choices. Like... being born.. Or loving their wife.. Or walking home from work.

I honestly wish people like you weren't allowed the same rights as everyone else. You should be kept in "idiot camp" and forced to gain a basic understanding of the world before you are let back out.

Obesity can be and is a disease. Just because a bunch of stupid Americans have no sense of self control doesn't mean all or even most obese people are like that. It is called a metabolic disorder.

Alcoholism and other abusive/addictive issues are a choice, but are exacerbated by genetic predisposition and even uncontrollable social circumstance.

Depression can be caused by chemical imbalance. Some people with seemingly nothing wrong can be chemically imbalanced and have psychological disorders such as depression or anxiety. I'll tell you that because my mom has an anxiety disorder due purely to a chemical imbalance caused by her thyroid gland.

Frankly? Anyone who disagrees with any of the above can go eat a dick.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarzan

Your text quote is correct. Now the question could be; what is normal? Without looking for the cut & paste, LOL.

Peace out.

Abnormal is anything that makes you (or a doctor) ... look twice.

If I'm walking down the street and a guy passing me casually in the other direction says "nice day today".. i'll just say "oh yah! zippity doo dah!" and mosey on my way.

But.. if he says "nice day today but the satanic bat that lives in my left lung keeps ruining it".. then I'm going to look at him twice.. cause he has mental illness disease.

If we are on a beach and see the skelton cage of a girl with eating disorders laying around in her bikini.... we are going to look twice cause that aint normal. She has disease.

• Members

if you say AIDS isnt a disease, i say your chromozomes are a disease.

cmere so i can cure* you.

*remove you from the general population by means of death :idea:

• Members

Tell me you're joking. A virus IS a disease. Case closed.

Archived