Wireless MIDI question

• Members

A problem with wireless MIDI is drop-out of the signal. It happens all the time with wireless mics and portable phones, but losing signal with either of them for a short time isn't as critical. A good wireless MIDI system will have some error correction capability so that you don't wind up with stuck notes, etc.

There's also the question of whether you need 2-way communication or not. If you do, that will require either a duplex system or double the number of transmitters and receivers.

I don't have a specific recommendation, but as with many things, cheap systems don't tend to be good, and good systems don't tend to be cheap.

• Members

Live rig meaning keytar?

I bought two of those CME widi x8 things, first didnt work properly, neither did its replacement. WHEN it worked it was nice. Good signal. But it would randomly turn itsself off.

The m-audio has what, a thirty foot range? What a joke.

Eventually I put down the money for a used midijet. Absolutely worth it. You stop being able to even hear your amp long before you start losing signal.

• Members

There are only three available wireless midi things last I checked. M-audio at $120, CME at $230, and MidiJet at $400. And a couple of thousand dollar ones I dont count them. They're not wifi or bluetooth, just their own wireless standard. All three automatically send a reset signal from the reciever when signal is lost, so thats no worry. And my experiences with two of the three gave me no signal issues. The M-audio one just has signal problems because it's cheap.

Archived