JMP-1 vs. DSL100

Nazgul6

• Members

I have the JCM800 2203x and am looking for more versatility. I've owned the DSL100 and loved it so I could just get that back, but what do you guys think about the JMP-1.

Is it a good unit?

Is it good for metal? Not stuff like Slipknot but more along the lines of Metallica, Iced Earth etc.

Thanks,

Mike

• Members

Currently, I have both. The JMP-1 can pretty much get you all of what the DSL can. The JMP-1 is extremely versatile and is great for playing live.

It's been a while since I played the stock DSL - mine has been modded. I recently had the JMP-1 modded too. In stock form I like the JMP1 better - modded I like the DSL way better.

If you chose to go the jmp-1 route you need to get a good power amp. I love it with a VHT 2/50/2. I didn't like it with a Tubeworks MosValve and liked it only slightly better with a Mesa 50/50.

If you want to use a lot of different sounds live I would go with the JMP-1. If you only really need 2 good sounds live - I would go with the dsl IMHO.

• Members

If you can, keep the 2203x and use it as power for the JMP-1 (or preamp of choice). Preamps always sound better using heads as power. I've done A/B tests between heads and power amps and found it to be so. If you dig Slayer they've been running preamps using jcm800's power sections almost they're whole carreer. The JMP-1 has good heavy distortion but it is a little on the sterile side. The tubes in it aren't being used that much for the overdrive in it. Mostly diodes and chips I'm afraid.

Ask yourself this....Would you rather have one glorious sound or three to four OK ones. That's head vs. preamps IMO. The Deftones is a good example of that preamp. It's used heavily on at least the 2nd (Around the Fur) and 3rd record they did. Thick and tight but sterile.

Priest has also used them almost exclusively live for many years. Check out their rising in the East DVD and see what you think. I think it's too much gain for their songs but it's still not bad.

Even though I'm a Marshall guy if I was getting a tube preamp I would rather play through a Triaxis than a JMP-1. They're not too expensive used. You might even want to try out a Rocktron Pirahna if you can. That thing definitely runs it's tubes for gain and at a healthy voltage too. Ultimately I would always choose a good head first.

• Members
Originally posted by Bucketboy

Who modded your DSL? What difference did it make?

It has the deluxe mod from Voodoo Amps. The description on their site http://www.voodooamps.com/standardmods-marshall.html#DSL sums it up. It's been a while now since I tried a stock dsl but I played a stock tsl recently and it's a night and day difference.

• Members

Originally posted by Bucketboy

I really wanted to get a Preamp/power amp setup, but I ended up with the DSL because of money issues:(

The one i played wasn't a bad amp by any means. Much better than the TSL in my opinion. I didn't get to spend too much time tweaking it but i was able to get a good enough live sound.

• Members

Now I've spent enough time with it to start getting so really really nice tones out of it. The thing is, is that I I play A LOT of different genres of music and I need the versatility of a Triaxis or something like that. The DSL is faring very well as of now though.

• Members

I'm currently using a jmp-1 with a peavey classic 50/50 power amp. If you do go with the jmp0-1 look for a decent tube power amp. The classic 50/50 isn't too bad. Not quite as good as the marshall/mesa/VHT equivalant power amps. But the price was right at the time.

I've also got a TSL. The TSL pretty much just sits around. The jmp-1/classic 50/50 setup can get all the tones my TSL can. Can't really speak for the DSL though. I would guess it's in the ballpark tonewise as the TSL.

I recently re-tubed my jmp-1 with tung-sol tubes. Very nice. Definitely added hmmm...more depth or detail I guess would be a good way to sum it up.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyCorgan

The one i played wasn't a bad amp by any means. Much better than the TSL in my opinion. I didn't get to spend too much time tweaking it but i was able to get a good enough live sound.

I wonder Billy if that power amp really takes that JMP-1 pre-amp to a new level. I ponder what the DSL would sound like running through that sweet power amp!

• Members

Originally posted by jason@amps

I wonder Billy if that power amp really takes that JMP-1 pre-amp to a new level. I ponder what the DSL would sound like running through that sweet power amp!

It really makes both of my preamps sound huge. :thu: (Strategy 500)

• Members

Originally posted by Pigsinzen

Wow people are recommending a diode and tube based preamp over a all tube based one.

:eek:

Not the diode clipping arguement again, please.

I guess I shouldn't like my marshall silver jubilee cause it has clipping diodes in it, but I do. I must be crazy:eek: :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by blackba

I guess I shouldn't like my marshall silver jubilee cause it has clipping diodes in it, but I do. I must be crazy:eek:

Yeah, I just go with if it sounds good it is good. It just so happens that all-tube amps seem to fit that bill. The DSL is meant to be all tube and I think the lead channel's OD is pretty stiff and not that pleasant. Considering how many of us use a pedal with diodes and chips, creating our "secret ingredient push" in front of very nice tube amps, renders the whole argument mute anyway.

I still don't like the JMP-1 that much though.:cry:

• Members

Originally posted by Skoora

Considering how many of us use a pedal with diodes and chips, creating our "secret ingredient push" in front of very nice tube amps, renders the whole argument mute anyway.

+1

Me thinks putting a SS OD box is ruining the signal. This might be okay for a low/medium gain amp, but boosting a high-gain amp is futile IMO. Get the right guitar/pickups and you don't need the boost.

• Members

Originally posted by blackba

I guess I shouldn't like my marshall silver jubilee cause it has clipping diodes in it, but I do. I must be crazy:eek:

Hey I am not knocking them. It's just good to see a thread not full of cork sniffery.

• Members

I have a Voodoo modded JMP-1. It has cured my amp gas. I play Priest, Sammy Hagar, Savatage and classic rock. IT covers them all very well. I have played the DSl and its a good amp also. I prefer the JMP-1 as I can program all the tones I need and use my GT-8 for effects and as a Midi switcher for the JMP-1.

Mr Hiwatt

• Members

Originally posted by Snakebite20

+1

Me thinks putting a SS OD box is ruining the signal. This might be okay for a low/medium gain amp, but boosting a high-gain amp is futile IMO. Get the right guitar/pickups and you don't need the boost.

actually almost every amp sounds better boosted and with the gain on the head backed off a bit.

My savage 120 clearly sounds better with gain at 2,5 boosted with an sd-1 than gain at 5 with no boost.

diodes and tubes combination have always produced the best sound, look at the 80's boosted marshall tone lol

• Members

Originally posted by Diablo II

actually almost every amp sounds better boosted and with the gain on the head backed off a bit.

My savage 120 clearly sounds better with gain at 2,5 boosted with an sd-1 than gain at 5 with no boost.

diodes and tubes combination have always produced the best sound, look at the 80's boosted marshall tone lol

I dunno, I'm such a tone snob/purist lol :D

Just to think that I have something between my geetar and the first gain stage of my amp is very unpleasant.

Archived