Down the tubes...

thenormxxx

• Members

I just recieved a fender hot rod deluxe that I got on e-bay. And I believe that the tubes may be bad, but the fender is popping my proverbial "tube cherry" so I am unsure. That is where you come in, to guide my ingnorant a$@ to the light.

So, here goes....

Turn the thing on in stand by mode to warm up, and gather up my things to give this hot rod a ride. I have read many reviews on the amp, and the one thing that pops up in every one, is that the amp is friggin' loud. Mine does not seem to be overwhelmingly loud? I rember my old roommate had a SS marshall half stack and the hot rod couldn't hold a candle to it. I have read that it should be able to keep up.

Now the point:

1. Could the amp work w/ one of the power tubes not working?

2. Shouldn't both of the power tubes get hot? (only one of mine is hot)

3. The pre amp tubes seem to be rattling like a bad light bulb, and makes a "jingle bells" sound come throught the amplifier. (just about perfect +1 for effort)

I left the computer for about an hour or so before I sent this message; roommate just came home and we jammed for awhile. The amp now seems to be working fine. The power tube next to the pre amp tubes is still not hot though. So, yet another question: were the previous problems just because the hot rod was not so hot, or should I consider a tube job?

thanks in advance

• Members

Sounds like you have a bad power tube and a few microphonic rattling preamp tubes. Get the tubes replaced, make sure to check the bias when you retube the amp.

The Hot Rod Deluxe is a pretty loud amp. One of the reasons it is said to be so loud is the linear volume pot they use, its very sensitive at the low settings, so just a slight change is a big jump in volume, but to about 5. The make volume is around 5, after that you just get more crunch pretty much.

• Members

Kind of what I figured...
They can't be that bad though since the amp is still working? And it is getting loud enough to play w/ a drummer. Unfortunatly, funds are low right now, so I'd like to hold off for a moment. They are not gonna hurt the thing are they?

Quick side note. If a fella were only going to replace the pre amp or the power tubes, which would you and why? (I'm guessing the power)

-thanks again

Archived