who here is in a synth band? Pros/cons?

wwwjd

• Members

I'm only in synth bands. (see below)

my tip... don't be like Hot Chip. ;) jk

And don't use laptops for anything else but visuals.

man up and use a desktop if you need a computer.

lazers help.

videos are great if you make them yourself.

• Members

our little grouping is a lot like PASSION PIT and/or HOT CHIP. We'll see where it goes. Concentrating on playing ALL synth music like Gary Neuman Cars, Kraftwerk etc but if it works we'll add more mainstream synth tunes to attract an audience.

Great advice and ideas from all you. Thanks!

Our line up is being kept ABSOLUTELY minimal:

A6 (or Micron I haven't decided yet), Prophet 600, Microkorg (for vocoder, shaddup!), some Juno something, a full Roland elec kit, maybe a drum pad for me, a mic and ONE backing track for sync with video. We are stripping the songs down to 3 or 4 parts max, some cases two. Our last project turned out okay - GOV video list in my sig - but this will be more like a tribute to all the songs we love, that inspired us to do synths, and NOW we can to play them just for fun. There is NOTHING else like this in area so there may be potential for attracking the 80's cougars. weeee.

I'm just in it to play OLD SCHOOL synth tunes for fun!!

• Members

I tried, it was fun..I was in nyc at the time so there was and still is a huge audience for it. Idid music along the lines of royksopp/the knife and good times were had.. now, I just make music to be played at clubs. It's easier and pretty amazing seeing people dance and go, "oh {censored} this song is awesome"

• Members

Checklist:

- Live gear is more forgiving than studio gear with respect to audio quality, so gig with what road-tested and easy to use live, i.e. dont bring out the ARP 2600 if you can sample the sound.

- Spare cabling

- Label everything, build custom cables if needed

- Keep your stage clutter-free, design your set-up for easy set-up and tear-down

- Work out all syncing problem in rehearsal

- Stages have a tendency to bounce- own solid stands

- If you need to read data displays, you may need to put light shields around them to protect against glare

- If you are using pedals and switches- properly label them, be used to operating them, and have them securely anchored

- Musically, uses sounds that compliment each other, and arrange them so you dont end up with clusters of everybody sort of playing the same part.

- Share the spotlight- everyone deserves their moment to shine

- Have a dedicated personal monitor if possible

- If all of you are stationary behind the keys, have some sort of prop that provides movement: slide show, moving lights etc

- Have an effective plan B if gear were to magically flake out

- Sub mixer is essential for everyone, tailer FX to fit the ambience of the hall

Archived