Distortion/overdrive pedals VS. Modeling amps

KightTemplar

• Members

Hi there,

After several weeks of trying and stuff, my conclusion is that Roland Cube 15 is the one I would probably get next September or so. But here is an issue that maybe no one here has adressed or asked:

Since the Roland Cube amps models the JC in clean and some classic amps like Bassman, JCM800 and Rectifier in lead (The 15 models some of the Boss' stompboxes), I am just wondering if you plug a distortion/overdrive pedal to it and play through the clean channel, will the Cube be damaged or wear out in just a few months?

A guy in a local store told me that pedals don't go well with modeling amps, so I am concerned.

I'd appreciate of your input.

• Members

it will not hurt the amp - thats not what he meant

sometimes your normal OD/Boost/Distortion pedals dont mix so well with modellors

but sometimes they do - with my Pod and friends toneport, the heavy metal sims sounded thier best when I ran an OD pedal in front of them - it tightened up the crunch and killed some of the over-boosted bass they have so often with modlers.

your cube will not get damaged by running pedals on its clean or dirty settings under normal circumstances

• Members

Originally posted by KightTemplar

Hi there,

After several weeks of trying and stuff, my conclusion is that Roland Cube 15 is the one I would probably get next September or so. But here is an issue that maybe no one here has adressed or asked:

Since the Roland Cube amps models the JC in clean and some classic amps like Bassman, JCM800 and Rectifier in lead (The 15 models some of the Boss' stompboxes), I am just wondering if you plug a distortion/overdrive pedal to it and play through the clean channel, will the Cube be damaged or wear out in just a few months?

A guy in a local store told me that pedals don't go well with modeling amps, so I am concerned.

I'd appreciate of your input.

Most applications with an OD pedal is to boost the signal into your tube amp so that it distorts in a nice way. You sort of blend that with the amount of distortion that the pedal generates.

This does not work with a solid state amp as well. You don't really want to overload the input stage. You would mostly be dealing with the distortion from the pedal. It's OK but not the best application of the pedal.

I would think that a distortion pedal that has tubes in it like a Tone Bone would work well but that thing probably cost at least twice as much as a Cube 15.

• Members

Thnx for the info. I have a DOD250 and it sounds like dream through clean comparing with other solid-states amps. I am gonna get a Rat in the future and run it with the Cube.

What the guy told me was that by pluggin dist. pedals the Cube's lifespan will cut short. Sorry for not clarifying that.

• Members

Originally posted by KightTemplar

Thnx for the info. I have a DOD250 and it sounds like dream through clean comparing with other solid-states amps. I am gonna get a Rat in the future and run it with the Cube.

What the guy told me was that by pluggin dist. pedals the Cube's lifespan will cut short. Sorry for not clarifying that.

I have never heard anything like that before. I hope its not true, cause i boost my Cube 15's overdrive channel with an SD-1 often.

Archived