so, midi is acting up on my new laptop

JMR

• Members

so, my mom is letting me use her laptop (which she uses infrquently) for recording since our old computer is all but dead.

So, I transfer Reaper and all that onto it. I plug in my M Audio Fast track pro get everything set up. But I'm getting this pitch and drop-in-drop-out glitches with my midi (audio is fine). No matter what virtual instrument I choose, it happens. Everything is set up so that it should work fine, but it's completely messed up. Any ideas on what it could be? What should I check?

I'm running an HP Pavilion Entertainment PC with Windows Vista.

• Members

You might also look for things that may bog the computer down but are not needed. Such as menu shadows and smooth sliding etc. Also, possible conflicts with the mouse/touchpad ie: do the drop outs etc. occur more often when moving the mouse.

How much memory does the computer have? Try a larger paging file (I think that is what it is called - where memory is written to the hard drive). If you have a lot of memory or can add more, try turning the paging file off and see how the computer works without it.

Good Luck.

• Members

I'm not very familiar with Vista. If it is similar to XP, look for something like Control Panel, then System then Advanced and then Performance and then Settings.

Under Visual Effects, you can uncheck everything I believe.

Under Advanced try the different Processor Scheduling and Memeory Usage settings.

Under Virtual Memory is the Paging file. Try making the minimum and maximum sizes the same and either pretty small, very large or none.

I'm not a computer expert, these are just things I've done to get my computer to do things a little faster / more reliably.

Also, try to find out what is running in the background and see if you can turn some of it off or better, prevent it from loading during boot up.

Good Luck.

• Members

and my paging memory thingy is 1257 MB

and I unchecked most everything

How much actual memory does the computer have? Consider adding more if it will fit. Also, try turning the virtual memory off. What might be happening is the computer stops doing what you want to write/read something to/from the virtual memory.

As I understand things (again, I'm not a computer expert) those dropouts etc. are times when the computer is doing something else. It may be dealing with video, IRQ's from the drives/mouse etc., running programs installed by spyware (see Mate Stubbs post), other background tasks, crap installed by the computer maker. You need to figure out what all of that is and turn off/stop what you can.

Good Luck.

• Members

god damn it, this is ridiculous. I have my solo stuff to record, some projects with friends to record, and I'm recording engineer for my friend's piano project. I can't do anything if Vista is buttraping my Fast Track Pro.

• Members

aaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I really hope I don't have to get another interface. I like this one and I don't feel the need to upgrade yet (nor do I have the cash to do so)

Archived