Difference Between a Marshall JMP 2203, and a jcm800 2203

dylannelson

• Members

I wouldn't worry about the filter caps- just replace them with either JJ or F&T. Any amp that has had filter caps for that long period of time needs to have them replaced. Just keep the originals. Never heard an older Marshall that didn't sound better after having the filter caps replaced.

Trace at Voodoo and Mike at KCA will tell you how important it is. Don't read into some of the crap on the net about if the caps look fine no matter how old they are, don't replace them. That is poor advice! Ask techs who service AC/DC, The Who, the Rolling Stones, etc. They will tell you that the filter caps need to be replaced. Allan Rogan serviced AC/DC's amps back in 94 and they replaced the filter caps in Malcolm's both late 66 JTM-100 amps plus some of their other older amps that they were going to record with. Some amps have had filter caps take out the output transfomer with no warning- eventhough the caps looked ok on the outside.

• Members

Trace stated that the B+ in the early 80's Marshalls did vary. There were a few changes in those power transformers around the summer of 80 which did lead to a slightly different tone. That fact and the lego caps made them sound a bit different than the late 70's JMP 2203/2204.

If you want your JMP 2203/2204 to sound killer- put an RFT ECC83 in the V1. It gives the amp a thicker, more muscular tone than other NOS tubes. Mike at KCA prefers them in a JMP MV or JCM 800 MV amp. They break up a bit earlier than Mullards and are a little darker.

NOS Tesla EL34 and RFT ECC83 tubes will make your old MV Marshall into an amp you will never want to sell.

• Members

Originally posted by dylannelson

I read in a thread that you found out your amp had original filter caps, after you changed them what was the difference in tone?

Yes, But I guess the guy who modded before I owned had no clue what he was doing, I thought the amp was great before i found this out, A few months went by and it started feeling really flubby so by chance i found this guy from England in MA that says he learned working on amps and modding them from the guys that worked at marshall's factory in England or wherever it was in the 70's.

To make a long story short, He fix'd my FX loop on it, Changed all the caps and tubes, Went through the rest of it and it sounds awesome. The amp is 100x tighter than it was before.

With the pre-amp at about 3 and the master volume at noon I get a nice dirt sound, With my SD-1 max'd on the volume knob and drive at 9 o'clock i get a very very close tone to randy rhoads live sound. :)

• Members

those jcm800's all sound a bit different, some are really nice, some sound not so good.

I have a '89 2204 that sounds better then all the vertical inputs 2204 and 2203 i had before :D

Kickass amp, so dynamic and explosive, unbelievable.

• Members

details?

A friend of mine who owned a guitar store was given one by his Marshall rep that he had known for years. It and the ones that he bought for the store sounded shrill. They didn't have as much gain as my two JCM800's had (early horizontal and early vertical input heads) and it sounded dead and sterile. I couldn't get that sweet, controlled on the edge feedback that and heavy chunk that the old ones had, and there wasn't much about it that sounded that great. It did one tone especially well, but the Rivera sitting next to it did it better and did more, and was the same price. The old JCM's have been called a one trick pony, but they were actually quite versitile when worked with.....and their one "trick" was an AWESOME sound. Honestly, it didn't sound that great and for the price tag I thought it was a ripoff.

• Members

I dont know man, they both had el34s, I think im going to get the 2203x reissue, I really dont want to risk getting a 30 yearold amp with worn out filter caps, plus judging by these awnsers, the jcm800 sounds a little more my style.

the reissue transformers will suck compared to the old amp. :idea:

• Members

Originally posted by chakosh

Hey Junkhead - sounds similar to what the guy before me did to my '79 JMP. How much did that un-mod (or fix) cost?

I forget, I think it was $200 for everything, $225 at the most. That included all new power and preamp tubes/caps/fx loop fix and other little things here and there :)

Honestly the guy said he just enjoys working on marshalls, He's a real down to earth guy and I was really expecting over $400 or so of parts and labor. He had like 3 plexi's in his basement when i went there :eek:

Heres what he said:(found it from the thread i posted months ago, it was a copy and paste from the email he sent after he looked at it)

This amp is far from standard.....Two extra gain stages have been added, no bright caps, volume control is a different value, several component changes and an efx loop board that was totally wrong for the amount of gain the amp produces. The first gain stage (actually it's attenuation) part of an efx loop drops the level down to about 10% for the effect inputs, but because you have such a high signal voltage (25V+!!) because of the extra gain stages, it was saturating the efx in the loop, hence the quiet and dull efx tone. I have redesigned the efx loop and got it working much better, it uses a 12AU7 tube now, which is a lower gain, higher current tube. I completely reworked it and placed the loop a little further on in the circuit. Because the efx loop gain stages are always in circuit (even with no cables connected), it affects the overall tone somewhat (the original one seemed to drop the overall level a lot as well). I use these stages to my advantage to take away some of the brash high end fizziness caused by the cascaded preamp gain and make the overall tone a little more focused and tighter. You'll especially notice it on higher gain settings. It was mushy before, it's much tighter now. Still tons of highs, just less fizz factor !! I'll have it finished over the weekend.

He also said he makes a whole new replacement board and was only going to charge me like $125 i think it was and i could keep the old one.

• Members

Originally posted by dnc99

Trace stated that the B+ in the early 80's Marshalls did vary. There were a few changes in those power transformers around the summer of 80 which did lead to a slightly different tone. That fact and the lego caps made them sound a bit different than the late 70's JMP 2203/2204.

If you want your JMP 2203/2204 to sound killer- put an RFT ECC83 in the V1. It gives the amp a thicker, more muscular tone than other NOS tubes. Mike at KCA prefers them in a JMP MV or JCM 800 MV amp. They break up a bit earlier than Mullards and are a little darker.

NOS Tesla EL34 and RFT ECC83 tubes will make your old MV Marshall into an amp you will never want to sell.

On a side note...I have one Marshall branded ECC83 tube. What kinds of preamp tubes did Marshall relabel? It looks almost like the JJ ECC803s I have, with the long, smooth plates and "star" spacers.

Another side note.....I traded speakers with a guy who had a Splawn ProMod. I know they are similar yet different than a Marshall, but either way, my interest in the Marshalls has risen once hearing that amp. I'll tell you what though....those KT88s in there had TONS of girth.

Archived