Opinions on Roland VSynth?

aymat

• Members

I bought mine used a couple years ago and for the kind of ambient music I do it's great. I've owned a number of Roland synths over the years (Juno 60, 106, D50/550, JD800/990) and for me the V-Synth is the coolest one I've used. I haven't tried the GT version, but would like to. I'm also using mine as a controller for my Korg M3 module and they make a killer combination:

IMG_0166.jpg

• Members

Hi ya

Did I not read somewhere that the tone sharing gripe on the GT was fixed in Version 2 release..

I think theres a procedure for copying tones to new positions so you don't lose the other sounds using those sounds... still its a bit odd I think...

Never really gotten the hang of the GT. The original V-Synth had me experimenting without looking at the manual... really intuitive witht eh touch screen and dedicated buttons... although the encoding 'type' stuff was never really that clear which was the only time I looked at the manual...

• Members

Anyone here own or have owned a VSynth? What was your take on it? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Is it a mainstay in your studio?

Just curious.

Had one (version 1), very cheap now on ebay. the key feel and midi controller options alone are worth the price. the touch reminds me of Korg 01W. It is that good. midi is good - performance mode - 16 split/layers by keyrange/velocity.

Very expressive synth, sample import, awesome UI, looks sexy. Such a good keyboard, except that I bought the wrong keyboard for my type of music. (classic rock and 80s)

• Members

It's an awesome controller BTW.

But it would be really nice if all of the knobs and sliders were assignable to transmit CC values -- not just a couple of the knobs (unless I'm missing something -- I'd love to be wrong about this since I'd love to use my V-Synth more as a full-fledged controller for other hardware synths and processors).

• Members

its definately not a bread-and-butter synth.. its highly specialized, and the multitimbral implementation seemed almost like an afterthought

but if you are into experimental/ambient/spacy/electronic type music, it does a certain kind of thing that nothing else can match - its a synth unto itself in that way

nowadays there are software synths that can do much more in terms of sample-mangling/resynthesis programming and complexity (Camelaudio Alchemy comes to mind).. but in terms of a hardware package (keys, knobs, xy, dbeam, touchscreen) its still in a league of its own

• Members

its definately not a bread-and-butter synth.. its highly specialized, and the multitimbral implementation seemed almost like an afterthought

Yeah, I hear the basic sound and can see how someone would dig it, but it's just not for me at the moment, though I can enjoy a good track that uses it effectively.

When I got mine I loaded it up with the Prophet VS waves naively hoping I'd have a semi VS with more filter and mod options tucked inside an experimental workhorse. I was really big on the VS at the time and was pretty dissapointed with the sounds I was getting. To be honest I probably didn't give it a fair shake and wrote it off to quickly, but all the same if I don't click with a synth after a couple months I find it fatiuging to work with so I just unloaded it.

Oh well, to each his own and something for everybody.

• Members

Multitimbral operation notwithstanding, actually I think it's a very good bread and butter VA. The only two analog polysynths I have left are a JP-6 and P-600, but I've had no problems recreating my favorite patches from those on my V-Synth. This thing does a mean Jupiter brass - once I inserted a sideband filter COSM before a lowpass COSM it's like a JP-8 on steroids. My apologies to JP-8 purists :o

The only brick wall I'm running into is aliasing. Even on the supposedly high quality saws and pulses it's severe once you do even something as basic as modest LFO pitch modulation above C7. So in that regard it really can't do it all.

Edit: Oops!

Archived