Marshall MF350 Head vs DSL 50 Head

separanets

• Members

Originally posted by separanets

Buy the way, what do you think of this item?

http://injapan.ru/auctionDescription/translate/h39117002.html

it costs $1000 for me.

Now THAT is a rig. Well except for that valvestate amp.

Id go with a tube power amp. Like the Marshall EL34 Power amp. Thats a nice match with the JMP-1 (obviously).

I know forumite Bill Corgan uses a Mesa POwer Amp with his and gets excellent results.

But for me, I would want a marshall power section as thats the sound Im used to. :)

• Members

Buy the way, what do you think of this item?

it costs $1000 for me.

Like what was said, buy this and get a new power amp.

That's a pretty good deal for what you get there, and the condition looks nice.

If not, get a DSL. I used to have a DSL50 and it sounded fantastic. It's got balls for sure.

Mode Four amps are nice at first, but jam out with a band and you'll get lost in a staticy sounding mix. Like 99% of the other people here, I'd say steer clear of that hyped up piece of crap.

PS. The item description on that link is just as funny as any of the chinese eBay ones. Maybe moreso.

"When turning the knob of volume, some sound comes out. Please acknowledge."

bwahaha. Classic.

• Members

Originally posted by blargh

Mode Four sucks like you can't even imagine. My other guitarist had a mode four for a while, I destroyed him with 50 tube watts.

true that...i killed my other guitarsist mode four with a gh50l....well...the gh50l is fawking LOUD!:evil: ...so it guess it's not that weird.

• Members

My first idea was to buy a bundle of the Marshall EL 20/20 and JMP-1 ($1600 for both together), when I found out here among the revies that the EL was fairly unreliable and got out of order quickly due ti overheating.

Now if you say I'll have to replace the poweramp in that item I mentioned, I reckon $1000 will be too great a sum for me. However I have an opportunity to get a JMP-1 separately if I win this:

http://injapan.ru/auctionDescription/translate/k36801897.html

Yesterday I lost the ADA MP-1&MC-1; that item had 15 bids! I failed it was gone for $400.

Summarized all your description, I think my choice lies betwen the DSL50 for $1000 or a used JMP-1 a poweramp for maybe $1600.

Thank you guys, you are very courteous and not rude at all as it is at gibson.com :)

• Members

For what it's worth I run a MF350 and it is a decent head.. it cuts through admirably in the band and the range of sounds is fantastic. I can get OD/metal/Pantera and some real nice clean sounds between :)

People diss it but I've played it against the TSL's and to be honest the MF sounds as good if not better.. people are still snobbish about hybrid amps but the solid state stuff these days is 99% as good as tube.

/grabs flameproof jacket and waits for replies..

• Members

Just get the DSL. It does almost every Marshall tone very well. Sounds unbelievable in a band situation. Can't go wrong with it for older Metal, rock etc.. Nails Iron Maiden, Megadeth, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Rage against the Machine

Newer bands like Trivium, Nile, Sum 41 etc.. use them for modern metal too and the clean is great. It does every thing well.

• Members

I like the DSLs...and I find that my SL-X still sounds great at bedroom volumes...and by bedroom volumes I mean you can't hear it from a room away...but turn it up and bam kick in the chest rock star city...haha

I play a lot of 80s stuff and the DSL or SL-X are fantastic...best of luck with your choice

crofty

• Members

Originally posted by riddlermarc

For what it's worth I run a MF350 and it
is
a decent head.. it cuts through admirably in the band and the range of sounds is fantastic. I can get OD/metal/Pantera and some real nice clean sounds between
:)

People diss it but I've played it against the TSL's and to be honest the MF sounds as good if not better.. people are still snobbish about hybrid amps but the solid state stuff these days is 99% as good as tube.

No flame suit required...at least for my comments...

I've played the MF and wasn't impressed...but I've played plenty of tube amps and wasn't impressed either...Didn't Dime use SS Randalls years ago? Though I was never a fan of his. The SS or Hybrid thing doesn't get me going yet but I do believe they fill an important niche in the market...people that really want an amp that sounds pretty good but that can't afford the full tube experience can grab a decent Hybrid. There's also the niche that prefers the full SS sound which can be very sterile and tight. When the VS stuff from Marshall first came out they weren't terrible and all of their Hybrid/SS shit sells like hot cakes in my GC to kids that want a Marshall they can rock with in their bedrooms. Its affordable and they dig it...That's the first riser the rock kids go to and who could blame them...they want to play with a rock icon...whatever gets them happy...doesn't matter much if they think it sounds good...all the tube Marshalls are tucked in the "loud lounge" and not too many kids have the balls around here to go in and play...

as a side note...a kid came in...maybe 15 and he saw a vintage Orange OD head we had in the lounge...he was so damn excited...he came over and asked me if he was allowed to play it (didn't have to, anybody can play whatever piece they want) b/c he heard how awesome they are...kid couldn't play a lick to save his life...but who gives a shit...he deserved to play through it...life experiences...its nice to see a kid like that with a huge smile on his face trying to rock out through some untouchable piece of gear...keeps these kids motivated

• Members

I've advanced a bit and something has changed and is going to change in my rig.

I got a cabinet TSL 2x12. I ordered a used ADA MP-1 Classic from an aiction and it is on the way here. And I'm using my all tube combo as a poweramp and playing trough a clean channel. I'm going to build a rack for myself.

Now I use the Maxon OD808 into the H&K TubeFactor into the combo into the cab. The sound is so nice, so I think maybe I won't buy a power amp, like, the Marshall 9100 and save $800. I can buy very different used preamps and check out how they sound. Is that great use in playin into tube amps while the sound is basically made by the tubes in the pre-amplification section? I can't say.

I liked the MF, and I'd have really bought it in that store if its price hadn't made my eyes wide open. So I'll hardly buy the MF and hardly buy any head now. I was really fascintated by the 1987x reissue head, but I know the best way it sounds is when it plays loudly. I'm convinced the wild cracks that come out of the amp in this case are impossible to substitute. No compromise! The same thing was about other old heads I asked for.

The DSL doesn't overburden the amp's, tubes, so it's not exactely the sort of amp that people used to play in '80. A guy from gibson froums sarcasticly noted that I had to go and graduate from teh Marshall pirmary school first, begore discussoing about Marshall solid-state amps.

Yeah, it's pretty complicated, so I'm building a rack. It's much easier.

• Members

you can get almost any sound out of the Mode Four but, if you just walk up to it and turn up the preamp and use the master volume like you are using a JCM800 it will not sound right because it is very sensitive to the treble, bass and channel volumes. If you want to use it for recording it is great I use it with a 60 watt cabinet because it gets the tones I need, not because I do not have tube amps. Get one while they are cheap because as more people see them in live settings by experienced guitar players the price will go up. ModeFour.jpg

• Members

You mean 350 whatts can't cut through?

I play everything from blues to 80s metal. Motley Crue, Cinderella, Dio, Judas Priest (in my taste), and many others.

350 watts is the equilevent (Sp?) of 100 watts valve as far as i remeber.

Mode Fours are not as good as the DSL. Easy as that :D

• Members

Originally posted by Chudanez

350 watts is the equilevent (Sp?) of 100 watts valve as far as i remeber.

100 watts is 100 watts whether it is tube or solid state. The difference lies n the fact that a valve amp that is rated at 100 watts will not be pushing this, often much higher, while a solid state 100 watt amp will ONLY push 100 watts

• Members

Originally posted by des67

100 watts is 100 watts whether it is tube or solid state. The difference lies n the fact that a valve amp that is rated at 100 watts will not be pushing this, often much higher, while a solid state 100 watt amp will ONLY push 100 watts

I always thought is was that tube amps actually sound better with the power section cooking, and ss power sections sound like ass cranked. You can push a tube amp to higher volumes, because the sounds you get from pushing the power tubes actually sound good.

• Members

Originally posted by des67

Actually, I think 100 watts SS is equivalent of 30 watts tube, thus the piece of {censored} mode4 is roughly 70 watts of pure {censored}.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger

ugh, muddy, boring, abrasive. melodically, it's terribly uninteresting. I kinda look like that guy, but I'm fatter.
:(

mode four for life man.

Actually I can construct the sound of that kind at home if I put a TS-9 in frot of my TubeFactor. I'm afraid, when tutti, the guitar will fall apart with such a sound. I'm not sure maybe the EMG's do all that work there.

Archived