Couldn't bias the 1987x Head in the right way

separanets

• Members

When I was checking out the MF350 I didn't miss a chance to try out the Marshall 1987x head that stood nearby.

However, I come across a difficulty with tweeking it. Dials for Trebles and Basses didn't give as much effect as I expected and it sounded only as one clean channel.

Then the salesman pointed out to four inputs and explained that a small jack/jack cable is needed to link up two of the four inputs. He said he was afraid of doing so, because he'd never dealt with head of that kind. The same thing was about the JTM 45 that I asked for.

So I left the shop and never mamaged to hear what the gain sound was like in that 1987x head. What was doing incorrect?

Where can I find some more info about how to deal with old Marshall amps? Thanks.

• Members

Ya, it's not a high gain amp. Jumping the channels gives you a little more variety, but it's not going to give you a "distorted channel" like modern amps. You need to turn the volume up VERY loud to get a distroted sound. You're not going to get it at low volumes like todays master volume amps. That's all there is to it, it's not rocket science.

BTW, this has nothing to do with bias.

• Members

Thanks, now I understand it's not my cup of pie. I do not what it's called what I tried to do with the amp, but it IS very loud and all the knobs work fine only when I put the loudness on 5 or 6. Bu I wonder how they manage to get this sound of this amp (listen to that when the pedal is off):

http://fulltone.com/audio/OCD_SG_Zep.mp3

The volume was set on six. The salesman and I tried to gain the same gain but couldn't.

• 1 month later...

Archived