Roland XP30 vs JV1080/2080 ?

iphoenix

• Members

Hey folks,

Iv been wanting a JV1080 for quite a while but recently an XP30 has come up for sale nearby at a fairly good price, (300 Euros), so Im seriously thinking of going for that instead, given that it is supposed to include all of the sounds & sound engine of the JV2080 & a nice feeling semi- weighted keyboard.

I know that the JV/ XV/ XP/ JD series differences/specs have been covered here before in depth, but I cant find the references or a search engine, so apologies for resurrecting this topic to those that are bored with it.

Im more interested in sound design & creating synth textures than the reported stock orchestral & acoustic sounds, but having those sounds to use as a starting point for programming is useful too. Some more 'ethnic' sounds would be nice though.

I intend to get a JD900 at some point in the future when (if) the prices go down. The JV1080/ 2080 s are much better value at the moment & more available.

My questions are:

(1) How does the XP30 sound compared to the JV1080 & JV2080 ?

- Some say that the JVs sound better.

(2) Is it more difficult to edit from the front panel of the XP30 than a JV1080?

It is important to me to be able to program the synth & personalise its sounds.

( I have been programming /playing Roland synths for @ 15 years, & my JD800 is probably closest in architecture so Im used to Rolands'programming language /menus)

I dont actually own a good 'rompler',( apart from the JD800 , Wavestation,& Emu Ultraproteus, but to me they are more synths than 'romplers') I prefer to program/design my own sounds using various analogue & digital synths in a more 'electronic' /' ambient'/ & 'neo-classical' style.

Whilst I would like a JV1080 or 2080 & they are excellent value, there are none for sale near me , & I would have to get one overseas & take that risk & add insurance & shipping. I have had some bad experiences with buying synths online from overseas, so Im less willing to do that at the moment, hence my consideration of the local XP30.

(3) Is it really identical in sound architecture to the JV2080? ( without the larger screen)

(4) Would I be better off waiting for an actual JV1080 or 2080 to turn up for my needs?

thanks & regards P

• Members

(1) How does the XP30 sound compared to the JV1080 & JV2080 ?

XP30's effects and output quality is "a bit inferior" to the JVs/XP60/XP80

(2) Is it more difficult to edit from the front panel of the XP30 than a JV1080?

Not that difficult, just not as intuitive as JV

I do recommend XP30 though, no need for shipping, having keys is a plus. Without comparing to JV modules, XP30 is a great sounding board. Those 3 built-in SRJV cards are awesome !

• Members

Thanks for taking the time to answer zzzxtreme, I had a feeling that this post would be generally ignored as it seems to be 'uncool' to ask about opinions on the differences between the Roland JV s & XPs , but if I cant ask it here, where can I ? I have read some sarcastic comments on this site in the past concerning those questions about those particular synths, & I realise that it is because some of those more 'seasoned' members here have talked that topic to death over the years , however Im new to this site & have not managed to find those topics here.

Regards & thanks again zzzxtreme. P

Archived