How to boost a tube amp???

carlosjose

• Members

Hey guys, I just started a new band and I'am gonna need a live rig, because I don't want to take my TSl 100 so it can get F$%& up. I was thinking of the my 5150 halfstack put it lacks the clean channel and to be honest it has a brutal distrotion but its just to out of control for live situations. :freak:

Then I thought wait I just use the Laney GH100 TI signature its only 1 channel put but it has a nice clean sound in the low output jack. Now the question is can I get enough distortion boosting the amp even if i use the low input jack or do I need to use the high input jack. :confused:

And the question is, how do I boost it. Do I use the effects loop or do I plug it directly to the input. Also what are the best pedals to get maximun distortion from the amp.

Thanks again :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by GuitarHitman

A/B the Low and High inputs and it'll give you a boost when you need it and give you the cleans when you don't.

You can also use boost pedals and overdrive pedals to help.

I never thought of doing that a/b thing. Cool.

• Members

A/B the Low and High inputs and it'll give you a boost when you need it and give you the cleans when you don't.

Really cool I didn't know taht would work. Thanks

But theres a problem theres only 1 eq. Do I eq for cleans and then boost the distortion with the pedal eq.

Thanks again

• Members

Really cool, I didn't know that would work. Thanks

But theres a problem theres only 1 eq. Do I eq for cleans and then boost the distortion with the pedal eq.

Thanks again

• Members

Thanks again, now how do I go about boosting the amp do I use the effects return or just put the pedal straight to the input,

What is the best pedal to get maximum distortion if I'am boosting the clean???

And are there any parmeters I should fallow like with the pedal eq or the pedal gain???

And just in case your wondering yes I never have boosted I tube amp before so I have no F%$#@!* clue what I'am I doing nor do I have a boost pedal, so I'am completly clueless :confused:

Thanks again :thu:

• Members

You can use a boot pedal or an EQ to force the amp into overdrive or you could use an overdrive or distortion pedal to help it along.

The advantage of the overdrive/distortion pedal is, you can increase the distortion without increasing the volume but it will lack the full authenticity of a tube clipping which you would get with a boost or EQ pedal.

The disadvantage of the boost or EQ pedal will increase your volume, which you may not want to do.

There's no rules where you use the pedals but I always use the EQ in the loop and overdrive pedals at the front. Using the EQ in the loop will make the power amp tubes clip, while if you put it in front of the amp, it will make the pre amp tubes clip. It's all up to you. There's no rules. It's all about what you think sounds best.

• Members

Your on a slippery slope my friend! By that I mean there are about 1 gatrillion options for bosting an amp. Boosting can be accomplished by EQ's, dirt pedals, comps, clean boosts, straight up volume pedals etc..... So when you want info on boosting, specify what you want from said boost. Like just a volume boost? A volume boost with higher gain, just a gain boost, or maybe an EQ change is all the boost you need. So without knowing what specificly your after I could safley say, boost in front (in the guitar line) will only provide as much volume boost as the preamp in the amp can handle. Say if you have your amp gain dimed, you won't get much volume and generally you get massive mush. If you run your preamp gain in the amp lower, you will get a slight volume boost along with whatever effect the pedal being used provides. So if you run a SD-1, which is a good, cheap OD, You'll get a slight volume boost with added gain depending on settings. If you boost via the FX loop, be careful, boosts in the FX loop are huge. You can get monsterous volume boost if you run a comp or an EQ. Dirt boxes should really be run in front. EQ's, comps and volume pedals can run in either spot but are huge in the loop. That said, I only speak from my experience and everyones tastes and results vary. I'd say for more options, do a search for boosts here in the amp forum. The FX forum will have info too but since you are talking amp specific, i'd search here, and for my 2 cents worth, Just use the TSL man!! :)

Archived