best setup for keyboard + module for live playing?

Saturday

• Members

this is a bit of a newbie question, and maybe there's already a thread for it. it's a silly question but anyway.

my main keyboard is a yamaha an1x, i use it mostly for synth duties and i also "emulate" some more traditional rock sounds (piano-ish sounds, organs, etc).

i'm planning on buying a module with more traditional sounds and using both things on stage., using the an1x sounds and also the module sounds. i was considering the korg tr-rack that i can buy for cheap and i liked the sounds.

the question is: how do you guys put that kind of setup on stage? it's pretty simple. a synth. also a module. i also like to plug a delay (ehx memory man) to the output of the an1x).

do you use a double keyboard stand, and one with the synth and other with a table of sorts to put the module above it? using a rack it's a bit exaggerated.

also, it's reasonable to just use a synth + rack? maybe it's a mess to just turn off the synth sound, then using only the rack, then turning off the volume. maybe it's wiser to just buy a separate controller for the module.

anyway. suggestions?

thanks.

• Members

Excellent synth choices! (See my signature...;))

I guess it comes down to how much you are switching sounds in the middle of the performance, etc. And whether you want to play synth parts on the An1x and other parts on the Tr-rack at the same time.

The Tr-rack is a great piece of gear, but with some luck you could probably find a full Trinity keyboard for the price a Tr-rack + a decent controller will cost you. Then you get the touchscreen, ribbon controller etc which is nice and probably more convenient.

If you only plan on playing one at a time, you can just midi up the rack and get some kind of switch between the outputs. (But that's no fun... :))

• Members

Get a second keyboard synth, when ease of programming is an issue. I always prefer a keyboard synth above a module for easier programming.

or

Get a Roland Sonic Cell:

* good all round sounds (Fantom X/G/SRX) in a small and portable package, full synth engine on board

* SRX expandable

* has inputs (stereo or mono), so put in the AN1x and apply effects to it (e.g. delay, if that would be good enough, don't know the delay you mention)

* one instrument to send (in stereo or mono) to amplification

* buy a sturdy sheet music stand (like the black type with the round holes) to put the module on, within reach of your hand(s). The holes can be used for cable leading.

Just two suggestions...

• Members

Thanks.

yeah, it's obvious that there are better options than a single synth + a module, and a trinity could be better. the problem is that i live in uruguay so new gear is very pricey and hard to come by. so i can just manage and see what i can get to get the sounds i really want.

the sheet music stand is a good idea.

Archived