Observations on the Roland CM30 Cube monitor...

• Members

So last week I took the plunge and ordered one of these puppy's to see if it would meet my current monitoring needs. I was using a Traynor K4 amp to mix all of my boards and send my mix to the FOH. But since I am not gigging every shoiw and I want to downsize my live rig, I sold the K4 to my band mate (another keys player). He uses channel 1 & 2 to mix his boards. I submix my keys using a line mixer and then use channel 3. We send both our mix to the FOH using stereo outs. It's actually a convenient way not to take up to many channels on the FOH mixer, and both he and I can control the mix and volume we send to the FOH together.

So I've been using a pair of 50 watt Yorkville wedges at my feet... KW50s. They are predicably weak, don't sound very good and (since I stand) don't project very well. Mostly I've been disappointed with their clarity and bass response. So Thursday I was placing an order for gear through AMS for a Friday delivery and remembered the CM30. So for $200 I figured 'what the hell'.

I was both impressed and a little disappointed with the box. My first surprise was that there was no line out on the speaker??? It doesn't make sense to me. 3- independent channels and a stereo line out that cancels the signal to the monitor speaker when engaged? I was hoping to use a pair of these inplace of the line mixer I drag around. That's my own fault for not downl;oading the manual before I hit 'add to cart'. Still I curious from those that use these units... what's the purpose of a monitor setup with 3 channels if you can't send the signal that you are monitoring. Of course I discovered this only minutes before sound check, so I had to rip apart my setup, reassemble my submixer and send a monitor out to the CM30. Looks like I'm not eliminating any gear here. :(

I had it set at chest level and well, for $200 and 30 watts, you can believe that it won't peel the paint off a door at any volume level. Volume was predictable. It sounded pretty loud until the band kicked in (we were in a clamshell stage). I had to crank it pretty high (7-8) to regain a decent monitoring level, however I was very impressed with the clarity. Nothing was overdriven... no farting. Just clean highs and mids and acceptable bass response. The speaker was pretty directional which was nice... since I play a vocoder on certain songs, and even in the speaker path there was little if any crosstalk or feedback... and this was just 2-3 feet away from the mic. I believe if I had two... I would have plenty of volume for any stage situation. Again I was very impressed with the EQ response for a speaker so small. And you can't beat the size and weight!

So I'm on the fence here. I have just 10 days to get an RMA or I can plunge deeper and get a second CM30. This is inplace of considering another Traynor K2 or a QSC K10. Anyone have some experience with these little boxes?

• Members

hava pair I use for both stage monitor & "coffee"-house stereo PA use

LOVE them - I think I understand your disappointment with the "mixer" functions. I don't use mine in that manner, I use my mixer/computer audio interface from the computer into 1 channel, mics (vocals) and acoustic guitar into that mixer, processed E-guitar into another CUBE channel and an iPod into the 3rd channel for between-sets background mix. Link the 2 cubes together & Bob's your uncle. Clean, fairly loud, durable and super-portable

• Members

hava pair I use for both stage monitor & "coffee"-house stereo PA use

LOVE them - I think I understand your disappointment with the "mixer" functions. I don't use mine in that manner, I use my mixer/computer audio interface from the computer into 1 channel, mics (vocals) and acoustic guitar into that mixer, processed E-guitar into another CUBE channel and an iPod into the 3rd channel for between-sets background mix. Link the 2 cubes together & Bob's your uncle. Clean, fairly loud, durable and super-portable

I guess I didn't understand the mixer function properly. Interesting part is when the stereo out is engaged it sends a signal to the FOH... however it cuts the monitor signal. There is no pass thru. Somewhat inapproriate for my needs (I was looking to elimintate another rack case).

But again... for the price ($400 for the pair) and the clarity it will probably work in my case... be loud and clear enough for me to hear myself properly and not flood the stage with my mix (as I imagine a K8 or similar speaker would).

Decisions

• Members

I have a pair of them - I think I paid $350 total. I originally got mine for when I do solo ambient synthesizer gigs in small venues like bookstores, art studios, etc. For that kind of usage they have been great and I've had people comment on the quality of the sound. With the multiple inputs, they work well as a very portable mini PA system. I've never used them in a full band situation so I don't know how they would be for that. At home I've got them hooked up to my computer and ProTools rig for general monitoring, as well as for listening to CD's, iTunes, etc. Although for actual mixing I use my Yamaha NS-10M's. But all in all I'm very happy with them.

• Members

I have a single CM30 - does what I got it for (mostly gigs where most instruments are put through a large house PA - just as a personal monitor). Fits in with my idea of a scalable system well. My step up and most frequent system is a pair of EV SxA100+, or a pair of QSC K10's.

The little CM30 also does double duty as a clean small amp for my electric autoharp and my acoustic/electric guitar.

• Members

no way you could rewire the line out to not cut out the sound?

IIRC if you plugged the TRS plug just half in, there was a (very small) range where you would get the signal on the line out but also have the speakers working (But it was really tricky to get this point).

But the way to go would probably a DIY hardware MOD which should maybe not be too difficult.

I really like the concept of the CM30, way better sound than the KC series and extremely versatile (onle the line out is missing) for low volumes.

In a Rock band setting, I once played a gig having the CM30 30cm from my ear all cranked up and could not hear a thing though ;-)!!

Archived