New Atomic Amp Demo Sept 6th in Los Angeles!!!

AndyZ

• Members

In speaking to Atomic Amps president Tom King, I've arranged with him to get the new amps here to be able to demo for us local Los Angeleans. Get a first hand tryout with it in a rehearsal studio. Bring your guitar if you like too! We

• Members

Tito, I'll have a better idea in the next few days. My guess it's more headroom and probably will be different, not better. The patches probably will sound more like the patch, rather than get more of the real amp flavoring in it due to the better headroom. I'd say probably too that once you push the 50watter you get the amp flavoring mixed with the POD patch, but it might sound slightly different due to the new design.

• Members

I'm so close, yet so far. That particular day I'll be shuttling the wife out to Thousand Oaks to pick up our van after servicing, and wouldn't be able to make it anywhere.

AndyZ - any opinion as to how the Atomic would work with a Black Box?? I realize it's not intended to work as well in a live setting compared to home writing/recording/medding around under the headphones, but I'm getting tired of the cans, and am enjoying the amp modelers.

Thanks.

• Members

Smith, I'm not really familiar with the Black Box, but if you can hook up ins & outs I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Also the time Wed is from 7:30-10pm. There is no formatted agenda, so come out anytime during that if you can. I live out that way towards T.O., so getting to NoHo form there isn't that bad after traffic dies down a bit after 6pm.

If you can't make that, I will be using the Atomics at a gig Thursday 9/7 at Zen Sushi. I'll be in the backing band for the first 2 artists up that night starting at 8:30. So you can definitely get a chance to hear it live. Shoot me an email if you want to go and I'll see if they have a list I can put you on.

I'm even doing a set of originals tonight for an artist in Burbank at 8:30. Details on myMyspace page listed here if you are interested. Will be using 2 18w Atomics tonight for this one.

• Members

Tom King was kind enough to let me use his Atomic 50watt 1-12" prototype on a gig Friday night, and it kicked serious butt! The room is particularly loud, and this band is loud to begin with, but the Atomic had absolutely no problem with volume or clean headroom. I was pretty excited about using the amp, so I may have been a little to blame for the Kiss concert-like decible level :)

I really didnt need to do too much tweaking to my patches at all. I rolled of a bit of the low end on my clean patches, that was about it. And the clean patches sounded outstanding. Very warm and spongy, with no breakup at all. The distorted tones were just amazing. I've never been satisfied with the way the various amps I've tried for the PODxt have handled distorted tones. They've always been thin and one dimensional. Even when the stage volume is cranked with for example my Power Engine, the sound doesnt cut through the mix well and fill the room. But the Atomic was really big, and all that great tube responsiveness and rich overtones that I heard when demoing the amp alone translated to a band setting. Its the real deal! I had a huge smile on my face all night, cause it felt like I had a half-stack behind me. The cabinet is really well designed, the sound guy did not believe me when I told him it was a single 12". I have a medium distortion tone I use for some leads (I was going after a Robben Ford-Dumble kind of thing), and it really came to life with the Atomic. As did my go-to Bogner X-tacy patch. I was able to drive it more than usual as well, whereas the Power Engine starts to get buzzy and mushy if I use to much gain.

One really cool thing that I noticed is that even my heaviest patches cleaned up very very nicely when backing off the volume. With the Power Engine, I need to keep several of the same patches with varying amounts of drive, because if I back off the volume even slightly, it doesnt clean up but it just sounds like crap. Not so with the Atomic. I was so impressed with everything about it, as were my bandmates and the sound guy.

So thanks to Tom for the test drive, and for hanging out for a couple of sets! My apologies for the ringing ears!

Lou

• Members

outtahear, this is not the thread to out someone's character. There are 2 sides to every story and from first hand knowledge I have, I'm pretty sure you've only heard one side or haven't gathered all the facts. So out of respect to the subject, please stick to facts and the topic at hand. Thanks!

• Members

Andy-Actually, it's first hand. Been a professional tech for 25+ years,(Los Angeles, N.Y, and D.C.) and have dealt with Harry. Also had clients who've had dealings w/Mr/Kolbe, and suffice it to say,(and being, frankly, the one with both sides of the stories,) I'm being kind.

May be a hell of an amp, but again, with all of the choices out there,I stand by the facts......:wave:

Anyone purchasing an amp has a right to know where some of his cash is going, yes??

I wish you luck (honestly) with the Demo. Hope you sell all you want. I'm in Studio City, and won't be attending.;) THE ROOTS are playing a free show @ AMOEBA MUSIC-@5:30. :thu:

• Members

outtahear, Well I won't try change your convictions from what you've dealt with, but let me leave you with this...

Harry Kolbe does not own Atomic Amps, Tom King does!

Harry merely designed the amp with Tom King per his specs. As many can testify, Tom's customer support and ethics are second to none.

If you do get a chance to come on out (be there till 10pm) or wish to check out the amp some other time, feel free to drop me an email.

Thanks! Andy

• Members

I had Harry Kolbe modify a Fender Twin years before I ever heard of Atomic Amplifiers. It was a great experience - everything was done on time (for the most part!) and the amp was amazing.

I've heard some stories about long waits and such, but I've never heard a single person question Kolbe's skills or expertise. His work and client list speak for themselves.

Also, I've heard only good things about the service from Atomic. And thats been my experience as well.

Archived