Review: Crate V3112

guitar-fish

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I have the V3112T -

The channel switching is fine. It would be nice to have switchable reverb, but this amp seems to do all things well. Having shared EQ doesn't seem to hurt. The boost feature is very nice as well. The tonetubby is nice - when I tried this amp (palomino) at GC, I thought it sounded good with the Celestion too.

Cool. Thanks for the info. :)

Well, the good thing is this is going to be for home use, so on the fly channel changing and "reverb" switching isn't imperative. I'm used to a single channel and pedals doing all of the work anyhow... However, it's hard not to look at the V50 even though I REALLY don't need that much since I am looking for a home amp. Sigh.

I have yet to be able to play one live(and probably won't since I HATE GC) but one of the positives about this amp is that you don't see too many of Ebay. That to me says a lot since if you don't see em', it must mean that people are happy with them. Either that, or a lot of people aren't buying them in the first place.

• Members
They're probably fine....but to me the real beauty of the V series is the Class A aspect which the 50 watter does not have. Also, I think they run EL34's and not EL84's like in the 5,15 and 30.

Hmm. I can't remember where I saw it now, but I swear I read something that these amps actually function more like an AB. Damnit. Now I'm going to have to find that. Maybe it was in the amp review section.

I too would be curious about the 6L6 in this amp. I actually prefer EL34/84's for clean's though. Always thought Marshall cleans were better than Fenders. :D

• Members

My V32 states Class A right on the amp :thu: Plus the thing gets WAYYYY too hot to be A/B.. BTW - for those who have not done so already. Do yourself a favor and get a small portable fan to put under the chasis to cool off the tubes.

Hmm. I can't remember where I saw it now, but I swear I read something that these amps actually function more like an AB. Damnit. Now I'm going to have to find that. Maybe it was in the amp review section.

I too would be curious about the 6L6 in this amp. I actually prefer EL34/84's for clean's though. Always thought Marshall cleans were better than Fenders.
:D

• Members

I have a V15 with an Eminence Governor speaker. It is a great little amp, but it does have some chassis/tube buzz issues. I had a VFX5212 and it was a loud, but great two channel amp. The reverb (digital) was OK, the delays and chorus were pretty good. This one and many other I have heard have a very wide chassis; as wide as the cab and seem to develop lots of chassis buzzes. I think with some dampening and trial and error work it would go away. My old one can be had for 350 dollars; last I heard.

gt5litre

• Members

Okay, this is kind of weird. I contacted MF for some more info on this amp(Palomino V50 2X12) and when tech support got back to me they said that this amp doesn't have a channel switching footswitch option.. WTF? How could you make a 2 channel amp that doesn't have a footswitch option?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-Palomino-V50-30w-1x12-Combo-Amp?sku=480989

• Members

Okay, this is kind of weird. I contacted MF for some more info on this amp(Palomino V50 2X12) and when tech support got back to me they said that this amp doesn't have a channel switching footswitch option.. WTF? How could you make a 2 channel amp that doesn't have a footswitch option?

...and it's 32.3" deep!!!Most likely just misinformation given to MF.I would call Crate customer service for detailed info...they seem to respond to the phone calls better than the emails.

Ed

• Members

I find it hard to believe that the amp has no footswitch. The VFX5212, has one, the V32 has one....

• Members

...and it's 32.3" deep!!!Most likely just misinformation given to MF.I would call Crate customer service for detailed info...they seem to respond to the phone calls better than the emails.

Ed

Yeah, I'm going to give them a call today. I couldn't find a e-mail address for Crate anyway.

• Members

I find it hard to believe that the amp has no footswitch. The VFX5212, has one, the V32 has one....

Sorry, I don't think I was clear. I does have a footswich, but it's for reverb only they said. Still, that doesn't make much sense either does it? lol

• Members

I don't know if this helps, but this is what the Crate website says about the VFX5212:

"It feature 15 digital effects designed to replicate the best reverbs, delays, and vibrato effects available from any manufacturer from any era. They're individually assignable to each channel so when you switch channels, you instantaneously switch up to four effects (two per channel) with the included two button footswitch."

There's also a manual on their site, HERE.

• Members

Thanks guitar-fish. I talked to Crate today, and whomever said(I think that was in another thread) that their customer service was great wasn't lying. Talked to a guy named Scott, told me all about the amp, and was able to e-mail me a pdf with all of the specs. Kudos Crate. :thu:

The V-50 2X12 combo looks exactly like the old Vintage Classic I had(and loved) except with TWO separate reverbs. And this one actually has a presence knob instead of just a switch-which is cool. The only down side is the price 699.

Not surprisingly, MF, just like GC didn't know {censored} about their product. Even tech support didn't have a clue.

I was going to upload the pdf for anyone who might be interested but it's too big. Feel free to PM if anyone wants needs it though. :)

• Members

That is info for the VFX5212 50 watt 2-12 from the original V-Series line.It looks like the V50 2-12 at MF is from the more recent V-Series MKII line,which [unlike the original USA built V-Series line] is being built in Asia.

Ed

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

time to unearth this thread.

I just won a V3112 combo with the tone tubby speaker on ebay for $485 to my door.

I've gigged a couple of times with my brother's V32 palomino and LOVE IT. I put a new set of preamp tubes in his (sovtek reissue mullard 12AX7 in V1 and a pair of sovtek 12AX7WC's in the other two)

Very noticeable difference in clairty at high volume/gain and a smoother and more refined demeanor overall.

Anyways, I made a sound clip of his a while back.

www.drewlankford.com/music/v32_strawberryfields.mp3

Stuck it in my closet with a few blankets lining the walls, cranked the thing to about 4 and let it rip. I used my carvin C66 with the neck dimarzio evo split to single coil and the bridge evo full humbucking.

Pics, clips, review to come when it arrives. :thu:

• Members

Curious as to the sound difference with the Tone Tubby. I put in a Vintage 30 and really like the sound but have no frame of reference with the TT.

time to unearth this thread.

I just won a V3112 combo with the tone tubby speaker on ebay for $485 to my door.

I've gigged a couple of times with my brother's V32 palomino and LOVE IT. I put a new set of preamp tubes in his (sovtek reissue mullard 12AX7 in V1 and a pair of sovtek 12AX7WC's in the other two)

Very noticeable difference in clairty at high volume/gain and a smoother and more refined demeanor overall.

Anyways, I made a sound clip of his a while back.

www.drewlankford.com/music/v32_strawberryfields.mp3

Stuck it in my closet with a few blankets lining the walls, cranked the thing to about 4 and let it rip. I used my carvin C66 with the neck dimarzio evo split to single coil and the bridge evo full humbucking.

Pics, clips, review to come when it arrives.
:thu:

Archived