2204 prices

Cochise

• Members

Originally posted by StevenS

I paid $995 for mine about a month ago. It's an 83 and I would say in mint shape. Not a mark on it. It wasn't a steal but I don't think I overpaid either.

Try Ebays completed listings for a better idea.

where do i find the completed listings

is that in an advanced search?

i don't see it:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by freaksho

and don't forget to budget another 150 or so for replacing the filter caps.

happy hunting.

Is there a way you can tell if the filter caps need to be replaced? I put new tubes in mine and it really doesn't sound too bad. I've never played one before so I don't really know for sure if it sounds like it should.

• Members

Is there a way you can tell if the filter caps need to be replaced? I put new tubes in mine and it really doesn't sound too bad. I've never played one before so I don't really know for sure if it sounds like it should.

to be honest i didn't hear a difference when i had mine replaced, but i did it within a week of getting it so i wasn't really used to its sound yet. if you can't afford it right now and it sounds good to you then hold off until you can. but you should eventually do it as a matter of regular maintenance (every 15-20 years).

(btw, almost everyone agrees about this - it's as close to a consensus as you can get in the murky world of tube amp technology, either on hcaf or otherwise.)

• Members

Originally posted by freaksho

and don't forget to budget another 150 or so for replacing the filter caps.

happy hunting.

it'll sound real bright, brittle, with unpleasant mids and no body.

• Members

Originally posted by the russ

it'll sound real bright, brittle, with unpleasant mids and no body.

It does have some of those qualities now that you mention it. I thought that was just how it sounded. Putting new tubes in did make a difference though. I still find it sounds better with my Sparkledrive in front to give it a boost.

Maybe I'll just take it to a tech and get it checked out. Wouldn't hurt to get the new tubes biased anyway.

• Members

Marshalls can get bright, it's true, but they should never lack body or have unpleasant mids. If you keep fighting that brightness or try unsuccessfully to dial in body, it's probably the caps. Replacing the caps will make a new amp out of your Marshall.

Archived