Pedalboard Solutions - AKA how to kill tone suck

bullhead

• Members

so here's my chain. cables are all Voodoo 20/20 with the exception of one Monster since i ran out of 6" Voodoos

guitar>EBMM volume (tuner out to Korg DT-10)> Ibanez TS-7 modded to 808 specs> Dunlop 535Q>Ibanez AD-80> Boss DD3> Ibanez DE7> amp.

i decided to bypass all of it yesterday and HOLY {censored}. suddenly i had more high-end than i knew what to do with, and it felt like the amount of gain increased. the pedalboard isn't exactly giant, but still, it was a considerable difference. so my question is this: is there a way to keep the pedals while maintaining purity of signal?

a true-bypass box seems like one option, but kinda pricey. aside from modifying all my pedals, what kind of other options are there?

thanks, guys

• Members

true bypass box...pricy? what are you taliking about? you can find schematics online to make your own for dirt cheap. all they are is switches, jacks and wires. does your amp not have an effects loop? if so, use that.

otherwise, a true-bypass box is single-handedly the most price efficient way to keep your tone alive.

• Members

Originally posted by cantoXIII

otherwise, a true-bypass box is single-handedly the most price efficient way to keep your tone alive.

Only if you are only talking about one or two pedals. A long line of true bypass pedals can be as detrimental to your tone as mediocre buffers.

Kick in a true bypass pedal half way down a long chain and it has a drastic effect on the loading of the guitar's pickups. This can cause volume loss and gain, as well as tone loss and gain.

The best solution would always have true bypass pedals in it, but with a high quality buffer somewhere near the start of the line.

• Members

You also need to check your pedals, as many these days have buffers built into them....

Also, buffers can often result in a more "sterile" sound and are really only needed as last in your pedal chain (preferred technique) when you have a long cable going back to your amp...

Reduce tone suck:

1. Reduce cable lengths through whole chain - as much as you can and still have the flexiblity you need

2. Have good high quaility cable throughout entire chain (same brand or type prefered) to include speaker cable from amp head to speaker.

3. Use power supply for pedals not batteries

Problem solved.

• Members

:bor:

so basically this guy either needs to:

1] get LavaMan's "super amazing tone enhancing pro quality super fucking awesome cables!"

or

2] get a buffer to enhance the tone that true-bypass boxes [which completely cut the signal when disengaged] obviously destroy.

:rolleyes: this all coming from people in the amp forum.

• Members

:bor:

so basically this guy either needs to:

1] get LavaMan's "super amazing tone enhancing pro quality super fucking awesome cables!"

or

2] get a buffer to enhance the tone that true-bypass boxes [which completely cut the signal when disengaged] obviously destroy.

:rolleyes:
this all coming from people in the amp forum.

Ah....sarcasim....don't you just love it....

• Members

:rolleyes:

But it's the fact that it completely cuts the signal that causes the problem.

If you have a 20 foot cable going to a true bypass effect and then another 20 foot cable going back to the amp that means that when the effect is off you basically have an uninterrupted 40 foot length of cable. As soon as you kick in the effect, the length of cable is halved which totally changes the impedance and loading on the pickups.

Maybe you want to look into it a bit further before you start rolling your eyes.

• Members

Originally posted by LavaMan

Ah....sarcasim....don't you just love it....

ah...shameless plugging of your own product when it's not even the answer to his problems...don't you love it? that would be like david boggs coming here right now and suggesting a loooper...kinda lame.

• Members

ah...shameless plugging of your own product when it's not even the answer to his problems...don't you love it? that would be like david boggs coming here right now and suggesting a loooper...kinda lame.

You clearly do not understand that I have more 10 cable products, only one which is branded with my name, so it's the idea that a good high-quality cable will solve this problem and it will. The brands I offer are only mine in the sense that I solder the ends on them....

• Members

Originally posted by LavaMan

You clearly do not understand that I have more 10 cable products, only one which is branded with my name, so it's the idea that a good high-quality cable will solve this problem and it will. The brands I offer are only mine in the sense that I solder the ends on them....

What you dont understand is that by Talking smack about a competitors product, you loses assloads of credibility and interest from prospective buyers and consumers:idea:

You could have plugged your stuff without bashing Trace and looked like a champ...

• Members

Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

What you dont understand is that by Talking smack about a competitors product, you loses assloads of credibility and interest from prospective buyers and consumers:idea:

You could have plugged your stuff without bashing Trace and looked like a champ...

+10

• Members

Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

yep. even if i wasn't totally Voodoo brand-loyal, i'd rather plug my dick into my pedals than one of this guy's cables.

well, at least i know which options NOT to consider :idea::thu:

• Members

Originally posted by IvIark

Any good quality buffer will sort you out, something like the Doob Tone II or Axess BS2.

I was losing highs AND lows beforehand but the Doob Tone sorted out all my problems.

who makes the DoobTone? plopped it into google but nothing relevant (mostly HC stuff, actually).

i knew somewhat about the problems with TB, and i'm starting to think that a buffer looks promising.

Archived