Yamaha EX-5 appreciation thread>

AstralWurks

• Members

I forgot to mention... since this topic is about EX-5/5r/7 appreciation. One of the main reasons (along with lovely VL synthesis :love:) why I bought this was because I realized the arpeggiator in this machine is in fact step sequencer! No one, but four step sequencer which can be transposed live. And each track makes midi note messages so you can control any other midi instruments!

Besides just notes, you can also program many many different things into arpeggiator... for example, velocity, filter, sustain and so on. You could program for example a sequence where it gradually lower the filter and then raise it... making it sound like live filter sweep!

Now imagine transposing each of four tracks independently with each responding to different midi channel, using also velocity, aftertouch or anything else to change things. For example, velocity would switch between transposing track 1 and track 2... meaning that you can transpose track 1 when pressing with low velocity and transpose track 2 when hitting the key hard... the possibilities are endless!!! This feature is like made for me who improvises music mostly totally live. Just not to forget to sync those arpeggiators into drum tracks... :love:

I wonder why this very rare feature is so unknown... but please all be quiet because we do not want this secret weapon to be revealed and to make higher demand and higher price! :cop:

• Members
No it's not... I still want to trade my RS-505 into VP-330
:love:

funny, i bit my tongue and was gonna say that... It's actually the EXACT reason I sold my RS-505. Everytime I looked at it I wanted it to be a VP-330. Kinda like the kid in Stand By Me and his parents..

I love the VP-330 choir on my JV-1080.

• Members

I was also going to mention something about the powerful arp in the ex5, but since I have never really come to terms using it, I left it off the 'list'. It appears that it can get pretty wild, but after about 8 years of owning the ex5, I could never make it bend to my will.... :(

If you have any simple pointers to help out, that would be great!

• Members
funny, i bit my tongue and was gonna say that... It's actually the EXACT reason I sold my RS-505. Everytime I looked at it I wanted it to be a VP-330. Kinda like the kid in Stand By Me and his parents..

I love the VP-330 choir on my JV-1080.

The only reason for trade would be the human choir sound, I just love it. I have tried almost every available sample option on many synths, one is for example at vintage synth expansion, but none of them sound good enough for me. Originally I wanted to buy VP-330 but somehow it have totally vanished form earth... and that's weird because one of my friends told me that just a few years ago you could buy one easily. But ironically, instead I was extremely lucky to buy this RS-505 which is even much more rare than VP-330... No human choir but the lovely strings are still there. Some say there's differences... but they are only subtle, in the chorus circuits, yeah, but the basic sound and the characters are totally same which I love so much... I just love the phase shifting sound :love::lol:

• Members
'DSP Resources Full'

:mad:

:lol:

Don't be too demanding. EX-5/7/5r is best approached as a one kind of multitimbral performance synthesizer, not workstation. I have many synths and EX-5r offers to me very special kind of colors and usability. I improvise and play live with many synthesizers so I don't ever need "workstation".

Archived