Advice with Low Wattage amps needed.

inlifeisdeath

• Members

Hey fellows,

I've prerused through pages and pages of threads on the ac30cc1 and ac15cc1.

However, I'm still undecided. And thus the need to start this new thread, even though I'm sure it's like the millionth ac30 thread you guys have seen.

Anyway, here are some info that may help.

1.) Amp is used primarily in the house. Volume is an issue.

2.) I play stuff from Queen, Hendrix to SRV and also some heavy metal, of which I intend to drive the amp with my pedals.

I understand that the ac30 has more headroom, but volume is an issue.

And I'd like an amp that also sounds good at lower volume, during the evenings or when recording at night.

So as such, I'm leaning towards the ac15.

And although I appreciate the versatility and functions of the ac30, I am uncertain if I actually need them all.

And am I really sacrificing a lot of tone here with the ac15, as compared to the ac30?

What are you takes on my problem here? And are there any other amps that I ought to take a look at?

Thanks so much for reading, would really appreciate any comments, advice.

• Members

Have you tought about a Mesa lone star special ?? It is a class A el 84 based amp.

Two channels, each independanley switchable between 5, 15 and 30 watts.

Ther's even a speaker jack in the back that gets you up to 35 watts.

It has plenty of clean headroom ( I've used mine live with drummers )......and you get great SRV and hard rock tones out of the lead channel.

Great amp. You may want to check one out. I love mine. I actually just sold my combo on ebay because I went with a lone star special head and seperate 2x12 cab for a liitle added flexibility.

• Members

I'm in the same situation as the original poster, and all of my research has led me back to the Lonestar Special. The build quality and price of Mesa stuff is pretty reasonable compared to a lot of the things out there that suit these needs...

AndreXXX, which format of head did you go for?? Do you know if there is a price difference between the 27" head and the 23" head?

• Members

Ive had some tube amps the last couple of years and i went down in volume from 60 watt to aproximate 8 watts now. I also moved two times in that period.

at first i had a 5150 combo i lived with my parents had no neighbours so i could play as loud as i wanted and most of the time i did...

i sold the 5150 and got an ac30 (enlish made korg reissue with greenbacks, without master volume) and that bitch had to be turned up LOUD for some tone, it sounded gorgeous when turned up, but it was even louder than the 5150 to my ears and well not convienient at home even without neighbours... But i believe the PPIMV (master volume) on the new CC's works pretty well...

i got into amp building and built myself this nice amp based on a jcm800 preamp into a single class A 6l6 with around 8 watts (estimate), runinng into a marshall 1960TV. Very good combination, the amps voicing and extra gain suited my playing better so i ended up not playing the ac30 (even though it had tone to spare) and i sold it with profit...

I could run my DIY amp at 10 and it sounded great and i was happy

My parents then moved, we got to have neighbours and i got a smaller room, my amp was too loud i had to play it with the master volume around 5, but the sweet spot was definately at crancked levels... but it sounded decent enough.

I moved out of house, i now live with a couple of friends in a rented appartment and my amp can be turned up a little louder (around 6 or 7 out of ten) but still not crancked...

end of story, if you want to cranck your amp go for 5 watts or less. If headroom is an issue anything from 10 watt will be plenty for home use.

but this all depends on the amp of course... my 5150 sounded best when turned up to around 4-5 out of ten, the vox sounded better the louder you set it, but the tone did nothing for me with the master volume below 2 (and at two the vox was insanely loud) and my DIY amp sounds good from 5 and best at 10...

So where it all comes down to, take the amp which sounds best at the volume which has your highest priority.

• Members

Originally posted by Rawchannel

I'm in the same situation as the original poster, and all of my research has led me back to the Lonestar Special. The build quality and price of Mesa stuff is pretty reasonable compared to a lot of the things out there that suit these needs...

AndreXXX, which format of head did you go for?? Do you know if there is a price difference between the 27" head and the 23" head?

Rawchannel,

I went with the 23" head and a 2 x12 cabinet that matches in finish but is 27 " wide. I look the look of the smaller head on the wider cabinet ( gives it a piggyback, retro look ).

It sounds and look great, and now I have the option to use the head with other cabs, or the cab with other heads ( I have a fender super sonic head that looks and sounds great with this cab but the lone star special is my number one amp and the better sounding of the two IMHO )

• Members

Originally posted by Negative K3 fan

another thing, the problem with wattage control options on amps like the lonestars is that they do not only change the output of the amplifier, but also the tone and feel of the amp. This might work out in either a positive or a negative way...

It's a huge advantage not a problem. It's always good to have sound options, no ??? And if you don't like the sound or feel just leave it in 30 watt mode.

Also, the difference between 15 tube watts and 30 tube watts is negligible by the way.

You can get the same volume from both, one will just give you power amp distortion before the other and a softer smoother attack.

The five watt mode is the one that cuts the volume ( but can still get loud ! ), it is plenty loud for recording and practice.

• Members

Thanks plenty for the advice.

It seems like I will go towards the ac15cc. In my area it's hard to appropriate Mesas, of all things. Unless I ship them in.

So basically, the general concensus is the the ac15cc is plenty for pure home recording use?

Have you guys any problems with the heating issue? I was thinking about placing a small fan behind the amp.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the advice. I'm a relative amateur when it comes to the intricacies of tube amplifers.

:)

• Members

Originally posted by inlifeisdeath

Right fellows, I'll go try them out and hear them sing.

But what worries me is the horror stories about their quality. And there's yet another thread in the 'effect' area about a broken down CC.

Alas, the bashing continues. Damn it doesn't help in my decision making at all.

What is a CC?

• Members

Originally posted by Negative K3 fan

go with what sounds best to you, don't pick amps based on specifications only!

+1

I've fought against my own better judgement several times, thinking what should or would be more important versus what I knew was actually good for the sound of an amp. I still do sometimes.

• Members

yes i know, sometimes when playing amps i knew from specs they don't appeal to me AT ALL soundwise, personal examples are most bogner amps and amps like the marshall 6100, while other amps, like the carvin legacy, sounded really cool to me while i never expected it.

knowing the specs isnt wrong or anything, but in the end it still comes down to your ears and the amp's tone.

Archived