When you hear "warm cleans," you think of which amp?

Slim Jim

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Vox warm? I love that Vox jangle but I wouldn't call it 'warm'. :confused:

So really, its just any Fender Reverb series or Bassman.

I wouldn't say that. The Silver-face Fenders have a gorgeous clean tone, but to my ears the sound is not 'warm' in the way that the cleans on the old Blackface tube amps are 'warm' and 'round'.

Some folks are, I feel, confusing "good" with "warm". Two completely different attributes, imho.

• Members

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Mesa F-50. I find the F-50 to be the most woody, warm clean sound I have ever heard.

I own a DRRI and I would not describe it as warm, I would call it pristine and complex, and to me it is the standard bearer of cleans. I would also include all blackface fenders in that.

• Members

Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr NR
Dr. Z Route 66
Fuchs ODS/TDS
Fender Tone-Master

I own, or have owned, them all (along with owning and playing many, many more like Shiva, Guytron, Budda, Accomplice, etc, etc, etc) and these amps are what come to mind when big, fat, "warm cleans" are mentioned.

• Members
Originally posted by -=MYK=-

The Shiva, to me, sounded bloated and felt hard to play.

The Fuchs ODS-30 kicked it's ass.

:thu:

Had two Shivas and currently a TDS-50 (w/ Crunch Mod and Hand Tune option) and agree completely. The Shiva clean is initially attractive, but is very hard and stiff to play, which is OK for most of my needs, but after playing the Dr. Z Maz 18, Dr. Z Route 66 and, most recently, the Fuchs TDS, I would not be able to rate the Shiva cleans anywhere near as highly.

But, for overall flexibility and sheer beauty, the TDS cleans are completely unmatched by anything I've ever owned, ever played or ever been exposed to...including my current Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R, Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr NR and Allen Accomplice. Between the switches (Brite, Deep, Rock/Jazz), boosts (Mid, Gain), EQ knobs (Low, Mid, High) and global Accent (like Presence), you can make that clean channel sound like anything out there, but better. And, the icing on the cake is the built-in spring reverb, which I have not been crazy about on any amp I've owned or played, including my Allen Accomplice and buddy's original '65 Twin. The TDS 'verb tops 'em all.

• Members

I just got a Prosonic and the cleans are warm but decidely on the "dark" side to my ears. Really nice swampy blues and surf tones. I haven't had much time to play it but I can't wait to get the garage cleaned out, get some cooler weather and do a little jammin' to see what it can really do.

I also think the Fender "57 Twin RI has beautiful warm cleans.

Archived