MUSICIANS FRIEND PLATINUM CARD - How hard are these to get?

WillShrdForFood

• Members

MF cards are pretty hard to get with little credit. I've been able to get a GC card, a credit card, and 2 student loans on my own and I still can't get an MF card (not that I want it now). Even if you did get approved, you probably wouldn't get more than $250-500 credit limit. Income does play into if you can get a card and how much credit limit you will get. I doubt you will be able to get an MF card.

• Members

Originally posted by zac503

I'm 19 and I got one via the online application. This is my first foray into any sort of credit. They gave me a $2000 limit too. I dunno if it had to do with my dad having a card in good standing, or the account I was signed in under had a good history of big purchases. But, I got's it

I'm 19 and only have about a $500 limit. Totally lame...Maybe it's because I have no job.

• Members

Originally posted by WillShrdForFood

Okay, humor me....What would you do in my situation...

You're a kid fresh out of highschool, whos in a band thats starting to take off really fast. We just announced our complete live lineup about a month ago and we already have fours shows lined up playing for some pretty big bands. You have no amp sufficient enough to play live. You current shitty job gets you about 150-200 every two weeks. You need a good amp for shows asap, but strictly saving your money would take too long to get an amp in time for these shows. You're so tired of your current setup, the tone makes you sick because you've heard it for just too damn long. What do you do?

Play the shows with your current amp. The crowd isn't sick of your tone, although they may be by the end of your set :D .

Credit isn't something to take lightly and given your limited income, it is just not a good idea. Save up some money for a while and buy a used set up with cash, or get a better job that pays more so you can afford payments without having to pay out half of your monthly income. You need to start building up credit, but a Musicians Friend card is not the place to start and most likely a problem waiting to happen.

• Members

I'm not going to make minimum payments. I could probably handle about 100-200 a month

get it and use it strickly for gas (actual gas that goes in your car, not GAS :p)

easy way to build it up slowly, maybe use it for occasional online purchases. try it out and if you find you cant handle it, just get a debit card.

• Members

Originally posted by Digital Jams

the crowd is not full of so called "tone freaks".

+10000

so long as your guitar amp isnt absolute {censored}, it will be fine.

plus, dont forget you can just borrow gear from the other bands if their's is way better. our bass player didnt have an amp at all for about a year, but we played just as many shows as ever cause we borrrowed bass gear all the time. worked out fine.

• Members

usually when you start they won'T give you a high limit, depending of many factors.

make sure you do payments every month if you get one man..but be sure of not living off the minimal payments, they'Re making the money this way and you don't want to give 'em a token.

Otherwise I tell you you won't stop the train and get f*cked bad, it's gonna do the total opposite for your credit.

Main reason for me for hjaving one is getting credit of course, but also to avoid the multiple interac fees because I never carry money..also for paypal ebay stuff..that's pretty much it.

never spend more than you can pay at the end of the month. once you have crossed that it won'T stop.

take also into account that all of that money you'Re making a month, not likely every cent of it will end up into the debt..you never know about any emergency crap that can suddenly show up. Don't work only for your debts..take a reasonable amount for it, but not all of it.

Well, in a way I think it could help my responsibility. I wasnt going to freak out with it, just buy a decent tube head like a 6505 or something and a cab. Roughly 1500-1600 bucks depending on the cab. And if I pay 200 or more a month on it, I think I could handle it fairly well, and it would help my credit.

I say do it, buy the cab, then cut up the card and CLOSE the account. If you have no interest financing for a year, It shouldnt be too much trouble to pay off 1600.00. But of course you may have trouble getting a credit limit that high if you have no credit right now. You have to work up to it.

Theres a {censored} ton of low interest/no interest/ no fees for balance transfer offers out there. I've been taking advantage of them for the last 3 years. I get a card with a 0% introductory no balance transfer charge, rack up some principal, pay it off, or not, depending, then about a month before the introductory period expires, I tranfer it over to another card offering 0% introductory no balance transfer. I've kept a running principal balance of 500.00 to 2k depending on how things are going, and I HAVEN'T PAID A DIME OF INTEREST IN 3 YEARS amongst 3 cards.

A word of caution though, you HAVE to make your payments ON TIME, or they WILL penalize the hell out of you should you let your balance go into the active APR after the introductory period.

• Members

Well, I just check my annual credit report. Apparently I have 4 accounts in good standing. An american eagle card I got so I could get a $15 discount on my clothes, which I promptly cut up 3 years ago the day it came in the mail. My student loan. And it has my moms credit card listed on their because she ordered a card unde my name for her account. Maybe that Platinum card in great standing that shes had for like 15 years helped me out when I got my MF card ;D

Archived