Good beginners keyboard

mnewb1

• Members

Some observations:

- Stabby posted his test question in the "electric" guitar forum. That eliminates much confusion about "what kind of music do you what to play". We don't have the luxury of separate sub-forums for "acoustic piano", "work stations/arrangers", "rave machines", "concert organs", ect.

- Guitars come in two flavors: acoustic and loud. They both go "twang". It's easy to give general recommendation about beginner instruments in that realm. We could have said "MicroKorg", but we didn't. We tried to be more helpful than that.

- Who would've guessed there's a sensitive guitar player with such thin skin?

• Members

Some observations:

- Stabby posted his test question in the "electric" guitar forum. That eliminates much confusion about "what kind of music do you what to play". We don't have the luxury of separate sub-forums for "acoustic piano", "work stations/arrangers", "rave machines", "concert organs", ect.

- Guitars come in two flavors: acoustic and loud. They both go "twang". It's easy to give general recommendation about beginner instruments in that realm. We could have said "MicroKorg", but we didn't. We tried to be more helpful than that.

- Who would've guessed there's a sensitive guitar player with such thin skin?

- I think you should re think this.... I could think of at LEAST 30 genres and sub genres in which an electric guitar is used (from smooth Jazz (or even the occasional neo-classical piece) to Metal Core and Screamo). And I know for a fact that different guitars better suit particular genres.

- You are the only guitarist that I know that would make this statement (if you are in fact a guitarist). All guitars, both acoustic and electric, have different sounds to them. Thats why there is a difference between a $200 Squier Bullet Strat and $3,000+ for a good Gidson Les Paul, or a First act acoustic and a Martin Dreadnought Acoustic.

PS - Leave it to a guitarist to suggest MicroKorg when asked for a good beginner guitar. lol ;)

- I dont even know what this means.

I in no way mean to be rude, I am simply offering a fair rebuttal.

• Members

Oh and a PS (Just to help you out when posting on the Keyboard forums)-

You will rarely hear any of us talking about "concert organs" because they are really not professional popular music recording/live gear. ( Perhaps you are thinking of COMBO organs...)

And also, arrangers and workstations are never put in the same category. Typically an "arranger" is used to describe a lower-end model.

• Members

:wave: Thank you very much for acting like a gentleman. Please forgive me if my statements seemed inflammatory or confrontational. They were not so intended, except to the extent that all good natured ribbing of guitar players frequently practiced in this forum. For my part, I don't mean anything demeaning by it. I also don't expect it to stop anytime soon.

You are the only guitarist that I know that would make this statement (if you are in fact a guitarist).

I'm not a guitarist at all, which makes me supremely qualified to make such an obviously exaggerated statement. Of course I realize there are differences in guitars, and that they make more noises than just "twang". I believe the electric variety can also go "chukka chukka" and "brrrrreeeeeoooowwwww".

"concert organs"

I should've used the term "classic(al) organs". I was talking about AGO type organs, and perhaps the term 'concert organ' is a bit vague. Maybe I've been hanging too much at hamtech and The Organ Forum, where the term is acceptable.

arrangers and workstations are never put in the same category.

Fair enough. I guess KSS won't be asking me to arrange the new sub-forums.

PS - Leave it to a guitarist to suggest MicroKorg when asked for a good beginner guitar. lol
;)

The OP was asking about keyboards, right? I'm confused. :lol:

Anyway, I'm convinced that the OP misunderstood the responses to his question, which were clearly devoid of any snarkage. We really do think it would be helpful to know what kind of music he wanted to play, before we make any suggestions about gear. I hope he reads this and believes it.

• Members

:wave:
Thank you
very much
for acting like a gentleman. Please forgive me if my statements seemed inflammatory or confrontational. They were not so intended, except to the extent that all good natured ribbing of guitar players frequently practiced in this forum. For my part, I don't mean anything demeaning by it. I also don't expect it to stop anytime soon.

I'm not a guitarist at all, which makes me supremely qualified to make such an obviously exaggerated statement. Of course I realize there are differences in guitars, and that they make more noises than just "twang". I believe the electric variety can also go "chukka chukka" and "brrrrreeeeeoooowwwww".

I should've used the term "classic(al) organs". I was talking about AGO type organs, and perhaps the term 'concert organ' is a bit vague. Maybe I've been hanging too much at hamtech and The Organ Forum, where the term is acceptable.

Fair enough. I guess KSS won't be asking me to arrange the new sub-forums.

The OP was asking about keyboards, right? I'm confused.
:lol:

Anyway, I'm convinced that the OP misunderstood the responses to his question, which were clearly devoid of any snarkage. We
really do
think it would be helpful to know what kind of music he wanted to play, before we make any suggestions about gear. I hope he reads this and believes it.

Hahahh alright, i guess a misunderstood you a bit... the way you were saying "We" and discussing the guitar forum made it sound like you were a fellow guitarist of the other guitarists. lol

As far as concert/classical organs go, I understand what you mean... You are referring to instruments such as the Roland Artellier Series or Hammmond Elegante series.. correct?

Again, that was a misunderstanding... I thought you were referring to Stabby's thread in the guitar forum.

And yes, the OP unfortunatly I think just didnt have a tough enough skin to deal with keyboard players..... Hes missing out. ;)

• Members

As far as concert/classical organs go, I understand what you mean... You are referring to instruments such as the Roland Artellier Series or Hammmond Elegante series.. correct?
;)

No. AGO organs are usually identified by, among other things, having a pedal clavier with 32 notes arranged in a radius configuration. While the Roland Artillery Series are indeed big guns in an organist's arsenal, and the Elegante holds a position of somewhat lesser dignity, neither can be classified as conforming to the specifications of the American Guild of Organists.

As to my earlier comment about the OPs un-calloused epidermis, that was just an ill-concieved joke. I think he just mis-interpreted a request for clarification, and the suggestion to find readily available info in the stickies, as a brush-off. Unfortunate.

• Members

No. AGO organs are usually identified by, among other things, having a pedal clavier with 32 notes arranged in a radius configuration. While the Roland Artillery Series are indeed big guns in an organist's arsenal, and the Elegante holds a position of somewhat lesser dignity, neither can be classified as conforming to the specifications of the

As to my earlier comment about the OPs un-calloused epidermis, that was just an ill-concieved joke. I think he just mis-interpreted a request for clarification, and the suggestion to find readily available info in the stickies, as a brush-off. Unfortunate.

Well excuse me. I didnt know i was dealing with JS Bach. lolol. I guess i probably shouldnt have spoke, I really do not know much about those organs, because I do not play them or any styles that would involve them. I am familiar with the AGO... Although I always thought they dealt mainly with pipe organs. Really those big classical and theater organ are closer to pipe organs then they are to Hammonds or combo organs anyway.

• Members

I didn't mean to come across as a snob. I don't claim to be an expert, but I've been a fan of all organ music since I was a chile. I have dealt with lots of organ snobs in the past because I used to be a repair tech. Now i must go, but

.;

I'll be BACH!

:facepalm:

Archived