Quick question about the Korg M3 vs the M3M?

wheresgrant3

• Members

I get that the M3M is the same module attached to the Korg M3... I guess my question is, is the M3's module easily detactable and transportable just as the module. I'm considering an M3M but I wonder whether I should just spring for the whole enchilada. I would just take the M3M to gigs (leave the controller behind for gigging) and use a cheap controller at shows. Is this acheiveble or is it not designed for this purpose?

• Members

It is detachable, but I don't think it was designed to be removed often.

I assume the reason for the module + keyboard design was to support the sale of a module-only product without having to spend the extra R&D for a rack unit.

Given the price difference is small, I would definitely recommend buying the M3-61, even if you plan to only use the module. You can't buy the keybed separately.

• Members

I bought the M3 module because I just don't have room for another keyboard. I love the M3 and am getting some amazing sounds out of it, but it took some work to get it set up ergonomically with my rig for easy access, especially for long periods of tweaking sounds on it. Here's how it's set up now:

IMG_0166.jpg

• Members

I didn't have room in my little home studio either. I bought the module and use my Roland RD700GX to play it.

I agree that if you have the room just spring for the board, too. It gets lots of love in terms of action and as an instrument controller too.

• Members

It's not. To extract the module, you have to remove 6 screws and pry loose a strip of aluminum trim. Probably not the sort of thing you want to do on a daily basis.

Couldn't you just plug it in and use it with the keyboard at home, and then unplug to travel, without bothering with the screws and trim? i.e. you'd always be using it as a "module," it's just that at home, the controlling keyboard would happen to be the one Korg makes for it. Or is the cabling proprietary and not long enough (or easily extendable enough) to attach to the module unless you go through the whole mounting process?

• Members

Couldn't you just plug it in and use it with the keyboard at home, and then unplug to travel, without bothering with the screws and trim? i.e. you'd always be using it as a "module," it's just that at home, the controlling keyboard would happen to be the one Korg makes for it. Or is the cabling proprietary and not long enough (or easily extendable enough) to attach to the module unless you go through the whole mounting process?

The cabling from the keybed to the module is ~3 feet long (and DIN-9, IIRC), so you'd have a little bit of leeway. The disadvantage is that you'd be sacrificing the clean, integrated appearance that you get when using the trim and mounting rail.

Edit: After checking ye old Wikipedia, it seems that the M3 module-keybed connector is a proprietary mini-DIN 9. (It exactly matches the pictured diagram, which the article identifies as a nonstandard pin-out.)

• Members

Yes, you could definitely do that if the keyboard isn't moving at all, but I'd recommend leaving the module flat (i.e. not tilted upwards) in case it gets jostled. I also wouldn't want the keyboard itself on an angle if there were no screws holding the module in.

Another consideration is that the 73-key and 88-key incorporate a sliding mechanism that allows you to mount the RADIAS-R next to the M3 module. The 61-key version doesn't have this, and is therefore a bit quicker to remove and re-attach.

The cable is proprietary, but mostly because it is providing power to the keyboard along with control information. All the control information can be replicated with a standard MIDI cable, so as long as your controller keyboard has another power supply, you'll be fine.

Also, consider the fact that many of our sounds are designed with the joystick and two assignable switches in mind. Any time you see a program/combi that says "JS+X" or "SW2", it's referencing those controls. Yes, the controls can all be re-mapped, but most modwheels are not spring-loaded like the M3 joystick is, so your mileage may vary.

• Members

When I first saw the M3 series boards I thought that it would be nice if you could buy unloaded keyboards for the module.

Imagine having an 88 key weighted controller for the studio and a 61 key controller for stepping out. Use the same module for both. Kind of like a laptop port duplicator: pull the module out of one and slide it into the other with no hassles.

Archived