What kind of signal does Junos expect in the Arp Clock Input ?

gilwe

• Members

I'm guessing that it want's to see a square wave with levels around 0 to +3V PP. You other nerds double-check me:

Schem1a Schem1b Schem2a Schem2b

Sehem2a & b shows the internal arpeggio oscillator (below VR1) driving switching transistor TR5 from gnd to +5V biased by R13 (22K) and across R12 (10K). Looks like 0 to 3V to me.

If it were mine, I'd scope that waveform (point 2, Schem2a, or at the jack without anything plugged into it) to find out exactly what the external levels should be, because, when there's no plug insterted into the arp clock jack, the waverform from the internal osc goes through the jack, back in through TR1 (Schem2a) and into pin 39 of the CPU as the timing signal Ti (Schem1b).

I'm also guessing that it wouldn't have to be a plain old sq wave. You might get some cool "variable speed" arps by pumping more complex signals into it.

• Members

I drive the arp on my Juno-6 using a Yamaha RS7000 with a sampled pulse WAV. I can also create special "trigger" sequences on the RS7000 to do different things as well. It works extremely well, so there's definitely options out there. In addition, I can use the other RS7000 output options to create sampled tracks to play along with the Juno-6 or use the midi connections of the RS7000 to sync with any other hardware or for that matter software applications. (I generally use hardware) Works great!

Jim

• Members

Well, I tried to send the "click" sound which cubase generates and also used a guitar booster, but both my DMX and Juno doesn't follow or behave strangely when synced to this type of signal... Richoche can you please send me the wav file you're using ? or any idea how to create a "correct" signal they will follow to ?

thanks !

• Members

The schem shows a square wave coming from the internal arp osc, but a pulse should do as long as it's wide enough. A click might not have enough duration (or DC component). Just for testing, you could make some low freq (try 10 or 20 Hz) square waves with Audacity. I'm not sure what the PP output of your PC souncard is, but if it's too low you could boost it a little.

• Members

I don't know wether this is helpful as it is a different synth - although still a Roland - but i got a JP4's arp to trigger by sending a hat from a Yamaha drum machine into it. Straight out from the drum machine, no boost or anything.

However, i had to make the envelope of the hat as short as possible, because otherwise the JP would trigger several notes at once.

• Members

yah that was I saw in my Juno 60 and JP4... Why are the envelopes affected by the type of trigger sounds ? isn't it supposed only to make them sync to a certain bpm ?

I have no idea, but presumably these synths expect a trigger pulse and anything that lasts too long will be interpreted as multiple triggers?

I had a problem that was that i got several almost simultaneous notes for each hi hat hit - until i shortened the hat to its minimum length.

But if your Juno six doesn't react to signals from drum machines, maybe the trig in is shot?

(Otherwise you could always hook up a drum machine to Cubase and let that trigger the arp?)

Archived