OT: Filing Nuts

Loghead

• Members

Originally posted by rockapede

Well, now that you're done, how is it?

Well...it works. The guitar plays rather well, and it sounds terrific. I guess I need a little time away from it to get some perspective and figure out if I cut them deep enough or too deep. No buzzes anyhow.

• Members

TWO DAYS

Jesus dude... 45 mins maximum!!!

Still though I remember my first few took me aaages! My first one I should have been shot for!

If you're anything like me, you'll prolly blow the nut a good few times, but once you get it down, its as easy as changing strings!

Practise dude

J

• Members

Originally posted by satannica

TWO DAYS

Jesus dude... 45 mins maximum!!!

Still though I remember my first few took me aaages! My first one I should have been shot for!

If you're anything like me, you'll prolly blow the nut a good few times, but once you get it down, its as easy as changing strings!

Practise dude

J

It probably took me this long 'cause it was my first time and I didn't want to blow it. I don't like taking teensy-weensy little measurements endlessly, and I probably should have tried this on a beater first.

• Members

Originally posted by Loghead

Well...it works. The guitar plays rather well, and it sounds terrific. I guess I need a little time away from it to get some perspective and figure out if I cut them deep enough or too deep. No buzzes anyhow.

Hi Mate - any tips re tools , measurements etc. I'm currently looking to do the same thing to account for heavier guage strings.

Cheers

• Members

Originally posted by DOOM-900

Hi Mate - any tips re tools , measurements etc. I'm currently looking to do the same thing to account for heavier guage strings.

Cheers

I bought a bunch of files from StewMac. I'm pretty sure that one doesn't need such specialized tools, but having precisely the right tools sure seemed to help. StewMac also sells this all-in-one "String Action Guage." This too may be overkill, but I didn't have to mickey-mouse anything.

• Members

Originally posted by DOOM-900

Cheers

Oh, yeah. One needs fewer files sizes than one might think. Three sizes of file should do it.

• Members

forgot to tell you..they do sell a string spacing rule that can be pretty handy too.

also, stewmac sells preslotted nuts that only need minimal work for a few more bucks.

files are special thin ones done especially for this, come in a few sizes..

with all this, you should pretty much good to go..take your time and slow down towards the end, if you get those feel gauges you can work up pretty much faster at start..and then take your time for the fine adjustments.

good luck.

• Members
Originally posted by joeinkc2

what are the benefits to filing the nut?

Depending how bad it was originally:
- No string binding when tuning.
- If lowered to the right height, better intonation on the first few frets.
- Looks better if the corners are smoothed and the nut polished..god that sounds so wrong! :D

I'm such a cheap bastard that I haven't invested in proper nut files, even though I really should have. I've made bone nuts from blanks with these tools:
- File
- Sandpaper of various grades
- Fine polishing compound
- Old wound guitar strings glued to wooden sticks
- Thickness gauges where I filed teeth by using the file, just roughed the edges well

Very tedius work to do it this way, but you could try the guitar strings if you're only doing one nut and just widening the slots a bit. However, before you start filing away, I highly recommend you buy a copy of Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide or How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great book and see the section on nut repairs so you don't mess up your nut. :o

nut_tools.jpg

Archived