Laney LC-50 review, honeymoon = over ...

snakum

• Members

But I still love this thing. :D

For the guys (and gals) who, months from now, will search all the threads here for info on an amp they're about top pull the trigger on (like I do) ...

It's a Laney LC-50, first generation model with the 6L6s and a 1x12 H&H speaker that seems like it's trying to be a V30 clone but didn't quite make it. It was obviously gigged hard and it showed. Mechanically/electrically sound ... but very rough looking.

I got it home Saturday and reglued the tolex all over and repaired the scuffs and lifted areas. Scrubbed it good then Armor All'd it to hell and gone. Pulled the chikenhead knobs and soaked/worked all the pots with contact cleaner (they were scratchy as hell) and cleaned the chrome face plate till it shoned like new. Sprayed contact cleaner in all the inputs and worked a plug in and out (it was crackling and cutting out in the loop and on the LO input). Fired her up and she was rock'n hard. The clean was initially good, just awesomely good, and it wasn't anywhere near as bright as other folks mentioned Laneys being. The Drive channel has a very British-sounding overdrive with it's own 'Laney' thing. It does an excellent early ZZ Top at lower gain settings and it really thumps and pumps for a 1x12. I really liked it. I ran the bass pretty low and the mid and treble a little past noon. There was killer sweet spot on the Drive pot between 6 and 7 that was perfect, but this is kind of narrow.

The reverb was VERY good. It wasn't 'prangy' and harsh like most Peavey's, nor way to short and abrupt like the old Marshalls. But there was also a bit of hiss and crackling at idle, sure sign of old tubes usually.

In all, a very good amp that I got pretty cheap ... $300. The sound wasn't quite as 'musical' as I expected, and required a good bit of EQ to find a balance between harsh and mud. Once that's done ... it's a very useable gigging amp, bone stock.

Next up ... new tubes.

• Members

Put in the new tubes ... huge difference, even without biasing them properly (they're running pretty cool and there are no indications of a too-hot bias, and I won't play them long before getting it done).

I put in a pair of GT long plate 6L6CHPs with the heat sink 'wings' on them, three GT 12AX7s, and a GT 12AT7 in V2 to tame the gain a bit and try to widen the sweet spot.

The new 6L6s really brought the clean channel to life. It's even deeper and more 'round' and punchy than before. It is a litle more bright and dynamic, so I can see why folks say that Laneys tend to be bright amps. But it's not bright in a harsh way, like a Classic 30 with stock Sovteks and a Blue Marvel speaker. It's a very dynamic and punchy kind of bright that EQs really well. A very, very sweet clean tone. I forgot how deep and warm a 6L6 amp can be. I'm running the following settings with the GT tubes on the clean channel ... Bright switch = OFF, Bass 3:00, Mid 11:00, Treble 10:00. The amp works well with the tone control on my FrankenTele in all five positions (three p'up model w/ cheap 'Duncan Designed' bucker, and two cheap single coils).

The 12AT7 in the V2 position took a bit of gain and a tiny bit of volume off the Drive channel, but there's still a ton of gain and volume on tap. The AT7 did increase the range of sweetness on the Drive pot, but not by a huge amount. The Drive channel is even better than before, and responds to my guitar's volume control noticeably more than before. The Drive channel is warmer than before and it's very responsive. It has even deeper crunch, is a little more clear at higher Drive settings, and will 'sing' on most single notes even at relatively low volume. I'm running the following EQ ... Bass 11:00, Mid 12:00, Treble 12:00.

The new tubes made a pretty significant difference overall. The amp is noticeably deeper and richer, and with all my appliances off (PC monitor, TV, etc.)there is absolutely NO hiss or noise whatsoever at high gain settings. Sounds almost as if there was a built in noise gate. The crackles and hiss at idle are gone too, with the new tubes. Quietest high gain amp I've ever owned.

Next up ... a JJ retube to compare to the GTs, and later on, an Emi or Cele speaker installed.

• Members

Put the JJs in tonight. Very nice. I went with a 12AU7 in V2 to tame the gain and increase the range of useable gain, and it worked perfectly. I now have a range on the Drive pot from 5 to about 8 that is very useable. Everything from early ZZ Top to early Zakk Wylde, very Mashally but with a 'Laney Vibe'.

The change from Groove Tubes 12AX7Cs and 6L6CHPs to JJs (leaving the GT12AT7 in V2 for a more fair comparison) noticeably smoothed the amp out a bit, and I was able to turn the treble and middle up just a little on the clean channel to maintain a deep, gorgeous clean with a bit of sparkle on the high end. I may be able to hear just a tine loss of 'depth on the clean channel, but I'm not sure. It's certainly not noticeable for gigging.

On the dirty channel the tone was very smooth, noticeably so, and putting the JJ 12AU7 in V2 increased the Drive channel's range but with no real noticeable loss of volume, which is what I expected.

All in all ... a good change.

Next up ... an Eminence Blue Tick Hound. :cool:

• Members

I think Laney's are like that.

Well, many amps, I guess. Marshalls even

You have to find that JUST so spot that brings out what the amp can do, and tryo to filter out what it doesn't like, given the rest of your gear and your ears.

I think that I like Laney's...IN GENERAL. Like anything else, you'll find a lemon or a golden goose....ymmv.

I DAMN near picked up a sweet little Laney combo on eBAy for 260+shipping....all tube, 60 watt I think. Dman I think I should have bought that.

• Members

The original LC-50 is also class A/B. If I remember correctly, only the lower-wattage VC models were class A.

I gigged a Marshall JCM800 Reverb, two channels, 100 watts (2210 model?) for a few years, and the Laney has a noticeably different vibe. If I remember correctly, and I'm old as dirt so I may not be, the older JCM800s I've owned/played (all of them were two-channel amps) all had a very distinct midrange. The Laney's I've played - an LC-50 and a GH50 head/cab - were certainly 'British' sounding but with a different midrange. They sound more 'open' somehow, possibly a bit 'less British' than most of the older JCM800s (I haven't played the reissue). The Laneys are a little brighter than Marshalls, to my ears. And to be honest ... no twin-channel JCM I've ever played will come CLOSE to the cleans on the 6L6 Laneys. I mean, the cleans on this thing are to die for. They are really very good.

• Members

Playing the JJs a little longer ... the 12AU7 has to come out. It just ain't work'n. :(

Putting an AX7 in there, maybe back to a 12AT7. The AT7 was pretty good, just the narrow sweetspot (even narrower with an AX7) was a pain. But the gain just doesn't sing correctly with the AU7.

Bummer. :(

• Members

Went back to a 12AX7 in V2, and it is now officially ... the loudest {censored}ing 1x12 I have ever played, ever heard, or ever heard of.

I got to open it up last night, and I swear to God ... with a full band, unmic'd, I had the Drive on 6 and the Volume just past 1 and it was TOO FEKKIN LOUD! :freak:

Unfekking believable. :eek:

A FEKKING 1x12! :eek:

No wonder every Laney head I've ever seen was only 50 watts. A hundred watt Laney would kill all the small animals within a mile of the carnage, and possibly a human or two . :freak:

• Members

Just been hammering the Emi Blue Tick Hound thru it for an hour ...

The Drive Channel is now doing a pretty hot Marshall impression. The lower sensivity of the BTH lets me turn it up a tad more (the volume and gain on the amp is way over the top already) and the range of useable gain increased a bit. The BTH smooths it out even more, with the JJs already making a noticeable difference on the high end. I really like it on the Drive channel.

The clean channel went kind of flat, however. Shame, cuz the Drive channel is SO smooth with the new speaker. :(

So the BTH goes in the extension speaker to use with the Laney for hard rock gigs where the clean isn't needed. :)

Next up ... the Stonehenge ...

(All speakers courtesy of Boogs. Boogs is a registered trademark of the Boogs Speaker company. Do not use without permission. :D )

• Members

The Stonehenge is the shiznit. :thu:

Hugely loud ... EQs very well ... smoother than the stock H&H speaker. So .... JJs and an Emi Stonehenge it is. And just in time, too: Off to an audition/sit-in in less than three hours. :freak:

Thanks for the speakers Boogs. Everything found it's place. :)

• Members

Originally posted by snakum

The original LC-50 is also class A/B. If I remember correctly, only the lower-wattage VC models were class A.

I've had the LC-30 and the VC-50, both were great combos with crappy HH speakers. Try your LC-50 through a good cab for a real treat.

I don't know about the LC-50 but the LC-30 was advertised as Class A. My LC-30 sounded very similar to your description of the LC-50. The VC-50 was definitely A/B. Good luck with it, I think they're an excellent value.

• Members

The clean channel went kind of flat, however. Shame, cuz the Drive channel is SO smooth with the new speaker.
:(

:(

If the Tick doesn't sound good with the amp you had the Stonehenge in, I'll buy it back from you. Don't want to ruin my good karma by selling you a speaker that sucks with your gear! I have a 1x12 I could put it in, too.

The Stonehenge is the shiznit.
:thu:

:thu:

Not surprised the 'Henge kills in it...what a great speaker. That's one that always sounded great, no matter the guitar/amp. If it were available in 16 ohm, I would have kept it in the Classic 30. I'm literally going to buy an amp just to put one in some day!

peace,

David

• Members

Oh, the BHT sounded good in my backup, the indestructible-awesome-with-two-bad-monkies Bandit. That's what I removed the Stonehenge from, so it all worked out.

I had an audition with a band tonight, first one in three years. I didn't take the Laney, but I'm taking it next week to air it out a little. The other guitar player, a young guy who is sort of running the show, is playing thru a Peavey Musician, of all things. As soon as I saw it I knew I was in for a real treat. :freak: That thing was as {censored}ty, buzzy, and thin as I remembered from 20 years ago. Tone that horrid sticks with you for years. :eek: I shoulda' taken him the upgraded Bandit and set it up for him.

Me and him are going to have a prayer meeting very soon so I can introduce him to tube amplifers, or at least a Peavey Transtube or Roland Blues Cube.

I see a Classic 30 in his future. :idea:

• Members

Ok, if it sounds good in the Bandit, that's awesome. :)

Yeah, get that dude a Classic 30. We can get it pimped out.....

...then you can bury it with your Stonehenge-armed Laney! :cool:

• Members

I've been playing the Bandit this afternoon while working on the new band's set list. It's always surprising how good that indestructible little thing sounds. With the Blue Tick Hound in it I'm actually using the amp's Saturation channel, which I never usually do (two Monkeys usually). It's pretty amazing how the BTH smoothed out the dirty channel so well that it's actually giggable. The clean channel was relatively unaffected by the speaker swap, unlike the Laney. The clean is still VERY usable.

The Laney is SMOKING with the new tubes and the Emi Stonehenge in there. I just can't get over how good this amp is now. I've got it set up perfectly for the stuff I play ...

A warm and very deep clean channel ... a stomp on the Monkey for a warm, slightly-driven Stevie Ray tone ... Monkey OFF then a stomp on the channel selector for an awesomely clear and musical crunch a la early ZZ Top on the Drive channel ... and then a stomp on the Monkey again for sweet singing lead toneage.

Since I'm not able to spring for a VHT Pitbull combo, this thing is as close to perfect for me as I'll likely ever get. Thanks for all the help with the speakers! :thu:

Archived