Classic 50 (head) + MT2 (clean boost)=DOOM?

-DOOM-

• Members

Hey people -

I'd like to know if the above setup will get me into doom territory. Keep in mind that the metalzone will be used as a clean boost only to further drive the preamp for a little more gain / sustain.

I'm not looking for a 'fuzz' type doom sound; more something clear that will further take advantage of the fat sounding EL84's.

Think ala crowbar, old paradise lost, my dying bride, swallow the sun,draconian.......well you get the picture.....

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by DOOM-900

Hey people -

I'd like to know if the above setup will get me into doom territory. Keep in mind that the metalzone will be used as a clean boost only to further drive the preamp for a little more gain / sustain.

I'm not looking for a 'fuzz' type doom sound; more something clear that will further take advantage of the fat sounding EL84's.

Think ala crowbar, old paradise lost, my dying bride, swallow the sun,draconian.......well you get the picture.....

I boosted my Classic 50 wiht the clean channel of an Engl Tubetoner and this was massive of hell!!!

Unbelievable heavy sound!

Unfortunately i dont know your bands!

I have sold everything! but I have bought a Butler. And know i

• Members

Originally posted by Hua and a tele

Hey man,

A lot of the bands you mentioned go with solid states. Crowbar def. used old randall heads so you could go in that direction. Listen to crowbar, Acid Bath, eyehategod, all use solid state and I believe they all use randall.

Thanks champ - I love crowbar and know that they use old randalls. At this stage I'm looking into head options........

• Members

What are you trying to achieve with the pedal boosting?

Overdrive pedals often make the low-end tighter, not sure if Metalzone does the same, played through it only once. If it does, you might need to adjust the pedals eq or try a clean boost or eq to get fatter low-end. I'd maybe try a fuzz in first place with a very low gain setting, just to make things somewhat dirtier. Octavefuzzes are cool too in doom. It's a metal genre where you have more freedom with sounds.

MDB and Swallow the Sun tones are pretty much usual metal tones.

• Members

Originally posted by bardi

What are you trying to achieve with the pedal boosting?

Overdrive pedals often make the low-end tighter, not sure if Metalzone does the same, played through it only once. If it does, you might need to adjust the pedals eq or try a clean boost or eq to get fatter low-end. I'd maybe try a fuzz in first place with a very low gain setting, just to make things somewhat dirtier. Octavefuzzes are cool too in doom. It's a metal genre where you have more freedom with sounds.

MDB and Swallow the Sun tones are pretty much usual metal tones.

Hi Mate - looking for a little bit more gain / distortion. I looove the thick tone of the pushed EL84 power tubes though need a little more gain; at present, the tone rounds chords though needs a little more gain; no buzz as i'd like to retain clarity + that awesome thickness...

Anomaly - cheers for your imput; also looking at this option though ideally am looking for a fat sounding tube head for slower / groove type B tune doomy riffs......:eek::thu::evil:

• Members

Anomaly - cheers for your imput; also looking at this option though ideally am looking for a fat sounding tube head for slower / groove type B tune doomy riffs......
:eek::thu::evil:

And i'm telling you that the RG100ES will do that (it's a fat sounding amp when boosted in b tuning), but if your set on a tube amp then don't let me sway your choice. :thu: I just find most tube amps are really sloppy in such low tunings, i can't get that tightness i like with them, even with a boost. The Peavey 5150 is a pretty cool amp for downtuning though, you might wanna check one out if you can.

• Members

Originally posted by anomaly

And i'm telling you that the RG100ES will do that (it's fat sounding amp when boosted in b tuning), but if your set on a tube amp then don't let me sway your opinion.
I just find most tube amps are really sloppy in such low tunings, i can't get that tightness i like with them, even with a boost. The Peavey 5150 is a pretty cool amp for downtunig though, you might wanna check one if you can.

Hey champ - your soundclips rip....no doubt!!!!!(the tone, the clarity) Crowbar rules - I love them and have all their albums, though I have this niggling feeling in the back of my head re tubes. Long story short; I saw Bolt thrower (C#) play in Australia as part of their 'Fourth Crusade' tour and that, to date, has been the thickest tone I have ever heard.......Br000tal beyond words....JCM 800's with Boss ds1's as boost. Crowbar tunes slightly lower and kills as well. My choice is but a difficult one......:confused:

• Members

Hey champ - your soundclips rip....no doubt!!!!!(the tone, the clarity) Crowbar rules - I love them and have all their albums, though I have this niggling feeling in the back of my head re tubes. Long story short; I saw Bolt thrower (C#) play in Australia as part of their 'Fourth Crusade' tour and that, to date, has been the thickest tone I have ever heard.......Br000tal beyond words....JCM 800's with Boss ds1's as boost. Crowbar tunes slightly lower and kills as well. My choice is but a difficult one......
:confused:

Pick up an JCM800 then. I also love those 800's too. :thu:

• Members

Pick up an JCM800 then. I also love those 800's too.

I've yet to play one as they're kinda thin on the ground in Australia. At this point mate, I'm seriously working on a RG80es - do they sound the same as the 100es's????

• Members

I've yet to play one as they're kinda thin on the ground in Australia. At this point mate, I'm seriously working on a RG80es - do they sound the same as the 100es's????

Yeah, the rg80es sounds just like the rg100es. Same circuit, and everything. Little less volume, but still really loud.

If you're going for a more tube like sound though, i'd stick with an jcm800 or a 800 clone though. Honestly, Randall's are one trick ponys, I just happen to really like that sound. :cool:

• Members

Oh, if you're on a budget you might wanna consider a Peavey VTM series head, Sovtek Mig-60, Mig-100h. Those are basically jcm800 clones.

Hey mate - not really on a budget per se. At this point, it's pretty much a choice inbetween the 800 and the randall. I know many will say 'you're mad to even look at a solid state when comparing the 2'; my stance is all about tone mate - I could care less. I've saved your last sample and honestly love it!!! Thus, I'm trying to acquire this type of head......Should an 800 pop up cheap in the interim, i'm all over it like a cheap suit!!!!.........

• Members

Hey mate - not really on a budget per se. At this point, it's pretty much a choice inbetween the 800 and the randall. I know many will say 'you're mad to even look at a solid state when comparing the 2'; my stance is all about tone mate - I could care less. I've saved your last sample and honestly love it!!! Thus, I'm trying to acquire this type of head......Should an 800 pop up cheap in the interim, i'm all over it like a cheap suit!!!!.........

Hehe, yeah. There's alot of tube snobs around here, it's expected though. I really like tube amps alot too, but there's certain applications which i love some solid states as well, mainly the really brutal, aggressive downtuned tones.

• Members

Hehe, yeah. There's alot of tube snobs around here, it's expected though. I really like tube amps alot too, but there's certain applications which i love some solid states as well, mainly the really brutal, aggressive downtuned tones.

Amen to that brother....:evil::mad::evil::thu: :thu:

Archived