silver face vs black face?

bluesboy

• Members

so in fender amps, what's the main differences between silver face models and black face models? I just bought a 78 silver face deluxe reverb.

EDIT: i should mentin what im looking for... i want to crank this amp to get some drive without a peadl. i wan tclassic rock sound... not death metal. If i post a link to the one i got, maybe you guys will tell me if it's crap or not. Thanks!

• Members
  • Members

blackface amps will breakup when pushed and the silverface won't as much. If you're looking for gain then go with a nice concert reverb or deluxe reverb.

It seems to me, from your description, that the classic rock kind of sound you want is from a pushed bassman-tweed. Check out the 59' bassman ltd. thats a sweet sweet amp.

• Members

Originally posted by Ronzo II

If it's in good working order, you'll probably be VERY happy with it.

well.. judging by the pictures of the item, it looks very clean, and this guy has 122 feedbacks, all positive. I thought that was a good price, considering its an original (not resissue) in good shape. I guess ill have to wait and see

• Members

Originally posted by bluesboy

well.. judging by the pictures of the item, it looks very clean, and this guy has 122 feedbacks, all positive. I thought that was a good price, considering its an original (not resissue) in good shape. I guess ill have to wait and see

Wow. You got a good deal on that. I'd have snagged that thing in a heartbeat for that price.

In my experience, the SF Deluxes seemed to have a bit more headroom, and broke up later the the Blackfaces. If you're running a good OD pedal, it's probably not going to be an issue. Both are very good amps, and either one (in my opinion) is a better investment than buying a brand new one, if only to have the PTP construction for maintenance and mods down the road.

Just to give you an idea of issues between PCB and PTP amps:

I have a 2004 model '65 Twin Reverb RI. It has some sort of wierd problem that we can't seem to nail down. It's under warranty, but here's the clincher: Fender doesn't make the circuit board for my 2004 model Twin anymore, so they are making my tech go through it, component by component to see if there is anything he can find. If not, they have to send him an entire, brand new Twin to replace it. If it were PTP, it wouldn't even be a discussion. It's been in the shop almost a month, and will probably be there another month before I see it again.

That, to me, totally overrides any so-called 'tone' differences. If it can't be fixed when it breaks (and every amp will at some point), why own it?

• Members

Originally posted by silverfacechamp

Wow. You got a good deal on that. I'd have snagged that thing in a heartbeat for that price.

In my experience, the SF Deluxes seemed to have a bit more headroom, and broke up later the the Blackfaces. If you're running a good OD pedal, it's probably not going to be an issue. Both are very good amps, and either one (in my opinion) is a better investment than buying a brand new one, if only to have the PTP construction for maintenance and mods down the road.

Just to give you an idea of issues between PCB and PTP amps:

I have a 2004 model '65 Twin Reverb RI. It has some sort of wierd problem that we can't seem to nail down. It's under warranty, but here's the clincher: Fender doesn't make the circuit board for my 2004 model Twin anymore, so they are making my tech go through it, component by component to see if there is anything he can find. If not, they have to send him an entire, brand new Twin to replace it. If it were PTP, it wouldn't even be a discussion. It's been in the shop almost a month, and will probably be there another month before I see it again.

That, to me, totally overrides any so-called 'tone' differences. If it can't be fixed when it breaks (and every amp will at some point), why own it?

yeah,that's kind of what i thought. less drive wont be much of an issue. Im mainly an LP player, and mine has nice pickups. I also have a plethra of OD's adn distortion pedals... plenty to mess around with.

• Members

The smaller amps weren't changed much if at all when the others were in the 70's. A SF 78 DR should be virtually identical to a BF with the exception of the pull boost if it has one. The differences would be just different brand caps on the board and a little bigger PT maybe.

So don't sweat the "black facing" too much on a DR, just put a good speaker in it. I like the Weber 12F150 for that vintage 60's Jensen tone (original on Leo era fenders) except a little louder and tighter.

Just bring the amp into spec, put some good tubes in it and bias properly and you will have a great amp. Keep in mind that a little slightly dirty boost can really make vintage fenders sing.

Check this outhttp://www.tonequest.com/articles/article2.htm

The FDP is a great resourse for fender amp mods.

http://fenderforum.com/forum.html

• Members

Originally posted by SpeedBallBlues

The smaller amps weren't changed much if at all when the others were in the 70's. A SF 78 DR should be virtually identical to a BF with the exception of the pull boost if it has one. The differences would be just different brand caps on the board and a little bigger PT maybe.

So don't sweat the "black facing" too much on a DR, just put a good speaker in it. I like the Weber 12F150 for that vintage 60's Jensen tone (original on Leo era fenders) except a little louder and tighter.

Just bring the amp into spec, put some good tubes in it and bias properly and you will have a great amp. Keep in mind that a little slightly dirty boost can really make vintage fenders sing.

Check this out

The FDP is a great resourse for fender amp mods.

cool... thanks for the info

Archived