Common sense

pezguy

• Members

Link Here

It never ceases to amaze me that people have no problems putting a printed circuit card on the carpet to take a picture of it for an eBay auction. So I decided to ask the guy about it and he replies "It was just on the carpet long enough to take the picture"

I think the hazzards of static discharge would be better known and common knowledge by now. The funny thing is there are bids for this item. I wouldn't touch this auction with a 50ft pole.

:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by dethmetalanimal

kinda like dropping a PU in a fish bowl to take a pic of it. sorta.

I tend to think of it like eating at a taco bell where the food handlers do not wash their hands after going to the bathroom.

• Members
Originally posted by pezguy

Link Here

It never ceases to amaze me that people have no problems putting a printed circuit card on the carpet to take a picture of it for an eBay auction. So I decided to ask the guy about it and he replies "It was just on the carpet long enough to take the picture"

I think the hazzards of static discharge would be better known and common knowledge by now. The funny thing is there are bids for this item. I wouldn't touch this auction with a 50ft pole.

:rolleyes:

Meh. It's built up as way more of an issue than it really is.

I've done literally hundreds of jobs on laptops and towers over the last 5 years or so, both complete builds and upgrades/replacements. Don't get me wrong, static electricity CAN hurt electronic components, but in all that time, I've never once had a problem with static electricity wrecking anything. Obviously you don't want to shuffle around on shag carpet while holding onto a van der graaf generator and then immediately touch your pci card, but if you touch something metal and then don't shuffle around a whole bunch while doing the work, it's not an issue. More interweb folklore.

• Members

I'll ride both sides of this fence.

I agree with silverfacechamp that when done with caution, damage doesn't happen that often. As long as you ground yourself prior to handling it, you shouldn't have a problem

But by the same token, I'm sure I could find another item for similar price, so I would avoid that auction. No telling whether or not this guy has the proper common sense regarding grounding.

• Members

Originally posted by silverfacechamp

Meh. It's built up as way more of an issue than it really is.

I've done literally hundreds of jobs on laptops and towers over the last 5 years or so, both complete builds and upgrades/replacements. Don't get me wrong, static electricity CAN hurt electronic components, but in all that time, I've never once had a problem with static electricity wrecking anything. Obviously you don't want to shuffle around on shag carpet while holding onto a van der graaf generator and then immediately touch your pci card, but if you touch something metal and then don't shuffle around a whole bunch while doing the work, it's not an issue. More interweb folklore.

I have done hundreds of jobs rebuilding pc's too. Why introduce a problem when you do not have to? THe point is when you get a problem like this, the static damage will often manifest itself through intermittant operation. If you are in the business of repairing pc's how can you tell me with 100% certainty that the replacements you have done were not due to improper grounding? There is really no way that you can unless you trace the problem to the component level. You'll just diagnose the problem at a sub-assembly level and replace said hard drive, memory module, etc.

Secondly if it is folklore as you say, then why do electronics conglomerates spend millions on special packaging and handling equipment?

Thirdly if you were shopping ebay and you have a choice between buying a product that is improperly handled vs. a product properly packaged which would you choose?

• Members

I used to mess around on stuff without electrical safety precautions. Never had anything hurt by static electricity. That's until I started messing around with microcontrollers. Damn things kept dying on me. Turns out I needed to be real careful with them. Lesson learned. Potential is there.

• Members
Originally posted by pezguy

I have done hundreds of jobs rebuilding pc's too. Why introduce a problem when you do not have to? THe point is when you get a problem like this, the static damage will often manifest itself through intermittant operation. If you are in the business of repairing pc's how can you tell me with 100% certainty that the replacements you have done were not due to improper grounding? There is really no way that you can unless you trace the problem to the component level. You'll just diagnose the problem at a sub-assembly level and replace said hard drive, memory module, etc.

Secondly if it is folklore as you say, then why do electronics conglomerates spend millions on special packaging and handling equipment?

Thirdly if you were shopping ebay and you have a choice between buying a product that is improperly handled vs. a product properly packaged which would you choose?

Right, its NOT FOLKLORE, its FACT. Its not positive that something WILL happen by recklessnes, but it can, so why take the chance?

Archived