Amp Builders and gurus help please...

Themetallikid

• Members

Ok, now I'm not getting my hopes up or anything, but in case it does pan out, I want to start researching information as this is something I've never dealt with and such.

Our bass player, who seemingly seems to know everyone or at least meet the 'right' people, had a guy come into his business today that is looking to start up a music store in his area. Has toured with Kiss and just came off the Madonna tour. Not sure what the guy does, but believeable as this isnt the first time my bass player as mentioned people like this and I have met some of them.

Anyway, this guy wants to do the music store thing and sponsor our band. He wants our input for what he should carry in his store as well as talk to me and the bass player about building his own line of bass and guitar amps, which he would name our signature amps.

SO my questions are...(if this works out to be all true) what should I start looking into when he asks me questions about what I like and such?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:wave:

• Members

If I am following this correctly,

as far as amp building goes.

Your job is to intelligently describe the type of tone that you would like in an amp. His job would then be to decipher what you are saying and make it happen in a prototype amp. After you hear it, then you could tell him what you like of dislike or if it needed more mids/less midst more bass etc. etc.

As far as what to carry in the store, that is subject to location. The music retail business is very tricky. You cannot carry a product line if there is another store that already carries that produc and is with a certain radius of the store he is opening.

• Members

yeah pretty much, I was just curious if there as any information I can research to maybe cut down the number of times going back and forth, or if I could more intelligently describe in "his building parts terms" what i'm looking for the first time and such.

As well as pro's/con's about effects loops....active/passive EQ controls...variable Ohm settings...

I have limited use with a tube amp, by limited I mean I have only owned the Peavey JSX and love it, so I havent experimented with a lot of different options on amps...and such....

• Members

Originally posted by Themetallikid

yeah pretty much, I was just curious if there as any information I can research to maybe cut down the number of times going back and forth, or if I could more intelligently describe in "his building parts terms" what i'm looking for the first time and such.

As well as pro's/con's about effects loops....active/passive EQ controls...variable Ohm settings...

I have limited use with a tube amp, by limited I mean I have only owned the Peavey JSX and love it, so I havent experimented with a lot of different options on amps...and such....

If the guy really knows his stuff, you shouldn't have any problem. You really should not have to research anything but research is always good if you want to learn more about building.

Part of the problem is knowing what type of sound you dig! I found my sound in the mesa boogie mark series. If I had a tech that wanted to build me an amp, I would start with that voicing and tell him some ideas that I had to make it better.

That said, it really is in his court. You could even tell him that you wanted a souped up version of the JSX (more mids etc etc or more clarity more gain... endless possibilities)

• Members

Originally posted by Themetallikid

sound clips are cool...

yeah I dig the JSX sound for the most part, minus some of the highs on the Ultra channel. But want more low mids like the Mesa's have.

there you go! You're off to a start. Just Tell that to the amp guy after you let him hear the JSX.

• Members

I guess, i was asking more in the line of not so much tone descriptions, but other parts of amps that most people probably dont think about.

Stuff like effects loops, difference of active/passive eq's, boost switches for the channels, stuff like that...

plus I would need to help come up with a name...:mad:

• Members

Couple months ago. I know what you mean and I generally do the same, but this one was actually amp related, at least it started that way. It got pretty ugly. I don't want this to turn into another one of those threads so I'm not going to say any more. PM me if you want more info, or just do a forum search...

• Members

So are you helping the guy figure what kind of amps to build or are you helping him figure out what to carry if he opens up a store...or both??

I got to say that if you don't really know that much about amps... and he's asking you for info...the guys in for a rocky ride! :eek: For general info you should scourer the amp forum. It runs the gammut, but if you know what you like base an amp off that. You're not going to please everyone, so make what you like.

:confused:

• Members

So are you helping the guy figure what kind of amps to build or are you helping him figure out what to carry if he opens up a store...or both??

He wants to get into building amps. Our bass player talked about him making signature amps for our band to use, he was cool with it. I'm sure he'll fill his store with other brands as well, but will also stock/build amps of our 'sig' line or whatever.

I got to say that if you don't really know that much about amps... and he's asking you for info...the guys in for a rocky ride! For general info you should scourer the amp forum. It runs the gammut, but if you know what you like base an amp off that. You're not going to please everyone, so make what you like.

I know enough tone wise to know what I like, and I do have a sound in my head that I want. I love my JSX's tone, but would like a little more of the mesa low mids in there.

My questions arent about the voicing of the amp as I'm sure he will just want to know the general tone of what i'm going for. I'm simply looking for info, from an amp builders perspective, and purely so that I understand his side a bit better.

I just want to know how much of a pain those options I've listed numerous times above are to install/uninstall. If there are options that I know I wouldnt like, then I wont have him go through the trouble of trial and error with putting it in you know?

• Members

Rather than my explaining what features like that do, why not just ask for what you want (from the amp designer) in the first place and cut to the chase. Whether it seems like a feature or not isn't as important as whether it's just "there", built in (whether it has a switch or button or not). What's most important is you get what you want out of the design, not whether you have some fancy looking buttons to push. :) Think simple, but practical. The features you want will become self-evident then.

Archived