Best mixer for synths?

Chando

• Members

You really need to consider a lot more things before you go looking for a mixer, such as:

1) Stereo or mono outs?

2) Powered or unpowered?

3) EQ on each channel? If so, how many bands (ie, Hi/Lo, Hi/Mid/Lo, etc)?

4) Built-in effects (ie, reverb/delay)?

5) Rack-mountable? If so, how many units high? Or top mounted?

6) Any digital (SPDIF) inputs?

7) Strictly a line mixer, or do you also need to plug in microphones?

And when you say "best for synths", note that this could mean a very expensive mixer. You probably should have an idea what your budget is before you ask for "the best", or some suggestions may shock you.

I doubt anyone's going to be able to recommend much before you have more details about what you're looking for.

• Members

You really need to consider a lot more things before you go looking for a mixer, such as:

1) Stereo or mono outs?

2) Powered or unpowered?

3) EQ on each channel? If so, how many bands (ie, Hi/Lo, Hi/Mid/Lo, etc)?

4) Built-in effects (ie, reverb/delay)?

5) Rack-mountable? If so, how many units high? Or top mounted?

6) Any digital (SPDIF) inputs?

7) Strictly a line mixer, or do you also need to plug in microphones?

And when you say "best for synths", note that this could mean a very expensive mixer. You probably should have an idea what your budget is before you ask for "the best", or some suggestions may shock you.

I doubt anyone's going to be able to recommend much before you have more details about what you're looking for.

1. both.

2. unpowered.

3. 2 band EQ at least would be nice.

4. nah .. that usually gets in the way of the aux's. and smells of "cheap"

5. not really..

6. nope

7. No, that's why I said Synths. Mic's are for wimps.

• Members

Frankly, I'd give that RANE mixer another look. That's what I would have recommended. Rane make quality gear. Allen & Heath do as well. I've had good luck with SoundCraft stuff, but that was awhile back. Not so much with Mackie and Tascam. (Got some busted Mackie and Tascam stuff right here in my studio). And I don't think the Yamaha stuff is comparable. Note that the subsequent choices Masaaki has given you are not line mixers, so you're paying for the pre-amps. And some of them have effects, so you're paying for that too. And they aren't nearly as portable as that Rane mixer. All it lacks is the EQ. There aren't many line mixers with more than 8 channels unless you get into a rather expensive class (ie, thousands). Well there is the Behringer 1602, but it definitely falls far below "best" (as well as below what has already been suggested).

Note that you can buy 2 of those Rane mixers, and attach a cord from the "Main Expand Out" jack of the first, into the "Main Expand In" jack of the second. Then all 16 stereo channels go out the second's main jacks. Buy a small, 2U rack to mount them in, and it will probably be more portable (and lighter) than one of those big mixers with 16 sliders. Plus it will be a whole lot more road-worthy. I can't tell you how many mixers I've gone through, complete with broken-off/missing knobs, just from transporting them to gigs, before I finally started using rackmount-only gear. And even if one of them happens to fail on a gig (you never know), you've at least got another.

Also, you may want to consider getting a 3U rack so that you can add a 1U graphic or parametric EQ unit to the main outs. If you need EQ, typically it will be to accomodate some deficiency in the room, and you'd likely be applying the same EQ to all chans anyway.

Why are you recording to tape??? Obviously, you have a computer. You'll get vastly better results with a DAW. In fact, you may be going in the wrong direction. Maybe you should be looking at something like a MOTU 828 Mk3, or something by Apogee.

• Members

Yamaha, Behringer, Peavy....lots of choices for cheaper mixers. If you use it for live, I don't recommend Yamaha because the build is plastic, and the knobs/sliders tend to break. At least you need to mount it on the live mixer rack.

Behringer has actually decent build quality, but the "actual" EIN (noise parameter) is not so good. Probably Mackie is "best fit" for your needs. VLZ3 is actually quite decent mixer, IMO.

Here's a show how durable it is.....:facepalm:

• Members

I've owned 2 Behringer rackmounted mixers. The effects unit on one crapped out in one channel. The other still works fine, but one of the knobs broke off. Both are noisier, and have lower fidelity, than other mixers I've used. They're meant for musicians on tight budgets. You probably won't find a Behringer mixer on anyone's "best" list.

• Members

Why are you recording to tape??? Obviously, you have a computer. You'll get vastly better results with a DAW. In fact, you may be going in the wrong direction. Maybe you should be looking at something like a MOTU 828 Mk3, or something by Apogee.

Nah.. It's not how I roll.

I've done the whole computer multi-track thing with bands for years. Never really happy with the results.

Then I go and listen to recordings I made 10 years ago or more. Stereo out to VHS. sound much better to me. Something that I would be proud of when I'm dead..

• Members

I don't think you're going to find something that is both tailored specifically to your needs and fits your budget. I've been there too: looking for a mixer for synths only: no mic preamps, no effects, no send this and return that, etc. Just 8 or so line inputs [more is always better as one buys more synths], a set of balanced audio outs to go into balanced audio ins of a nice audio interface, panning, EQ would be nice, and of course a headphone out [missing in so many products of this type. Weird].

This is probably the closest I've found. But I don't have it and don't know anyone who does. It would be nice to know what people who have it have to say about its sonic quality, etc.

It doesn't have a headphone out, and each volume knob controls the entire channel [stereo] versus two knobs for left and right. But at least it has panning, which somewhat, "fixes" that problem.

$199 at zZounds

mm8line_angle_large-4b87fbba5b00c0f03f7c

mm8line_rear_large-a600cdf3b43bd4640953a

• Members

Well that's why I picked up Rane SM82, which has quite nice quality (demo'ed in pro audio shop before, but don't own it). Anyway, OP needs two aux buses (for stage monitor?), so the Alesis/Rane line mixers won't work.

I think Yamaha MG166 is the cheapest with two aux buses, tape outs, and enough number of channels. Is it "the best"? No, but at least works for the OP's purposes, even the EQ and effects are very close to "crap" (which won't be used anyway, right?).

• Members

Similar or maybe a tad up in quality from the Rane are the Ashley mixers, subjective of course.

I've never used this one but it seems to be the most popular with keyboard players. Never heard anyone say they wished they bought a Mackie instead.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LX308B/

I did own this for about 4 years when I was fronting/leading large bands in LA. After that kind of work slowed down, I sold it because it was overkill just for taking out a DP and a pair of powered speakers. It's great though, I wish I still had it. You could definitely record with it.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MX508/

My needs are different but I bought this for under $300 a few months back and I'm very happy with it. It does color the sound of my CP-5 but in a good way. I like my vocal and both of my DPs through this better then the Mackie 1202 VLZ.

http://www.allen-heath.co.uk/zed/zed-10FX.asp

• Members

I like the Rane (own it) but don't need a monitor send. I use a (cheap, at least compared with other similar choices) Presonous Central Station to switch between two sets of studio monitors. Both ins on that are nice to have (one from audio interface and the other from the Rane).

Do the non-Onyx Mackie mixers have the same quality wiring and components as the Onyx mixers? If the OP is not concerned about preamps for microphones and/or acoustic instrument pickups, then I suppose he could save some by not buying the Onyx mixers. On the flip side and for future reference, how do the preamps on the higher end Allen and Heath mixers compare with the Onyx preamps? I have a Carvin C844 mixer (only 8 channel but available in 16) which is functional and okay but sorta noisy. I would not recommend it unless the OP is on a budget. When I switched to the Rane for synths the sound improvement (clarity, low noise) was very noticeable.

• Members

The Mackie lm3204 seems almost perfect, but no inserts?? Prolly cause it's all stereo.

For cheap junk I've been using the Yamaha's for years live and like them enough. The effects are OK. But all I use is the karoke echo (effect 9?) and it sounds better than most small analog delays I've used... turn the parameter knob all the way right. 120 bpm.

right now I have a Yamaha MG 16/4. No effects, comp, etc. I use the EQ sometimes just for bass cuts, tiny tweeks, etc.

• Members

On the mackie lm3204, theres inserts on the first 8 channels i believe, dont remember without looking at it, but i know theres some, theres also two mic pres.

I would personally rather have a speck xtramix, but comparing $300 to $2000 give or take, the mackie wins :-)

• Members

I'm a big fan using a small "PA" mixer as opposed to the smaller "line" mixers. Of the small "PA" mixers - I'm a fan of the Yamaha stuff. I've always felt they've had a great balance of features, functions and price for me. I've been using an MG12/4FX for the past 5 years without any issues.

My mixer is used primarily for live performances - meaning that the ability to output multiple stereo sends - each with it's own overall signal level (i.e., L/R output to the FOH, L/R output to my stage monitor amplifier) is a key capability for me. I've given some thought to trying to reduce the footprint of the mixer by moving to a line mixer - but haven't because I haven't found a line mixer that has both the # of inputs I need (for me it's a minimum of 10 channels - must support 4 stereo keyboards plus an iPod) and the flexibility in outputs that the a small "PA" mixer provides.

The MG12/4CX can be had for $289 new pretty much anywhere - includes some useable effects, long throw faders, rack mountable - metal frame construction, useful routing capabilities (Main out, Group 1-2 out, Aux output).

• 3 years later...
  • Members

OK. I know this thread is 4 years old or more, but that is actually why I think it's valid to revive it! I have a similar question and there's a bunch of new equipment on the market, so much of the good advice is outdated now.

My problem:

I have a whole bunch of hardware synths - i'd usually want to use 4 or 5 of them at any one time.

I currently use a cheapy Alesis Multimix 8 - it only has 2 stereo inputs, but I use two monos in tandem where necessary. I don't need any mic or guitar inputs, as i'm a keyboard player and I can't sing anyway ;-)

The Alesis is poor quality, as mentioned and generates a bit of noise. I want to replace it with something better and currently looking at the Allen & Heath Zed10 or Mackie ProFX8. 

I want to use it for both DAW studio work, and also for live/creative play.

Any insight on these mixers, other suitable mixers (I hear Behringer are just as bad as Alesis) or alternative approaches to the problem are welcomed!

Thanks in advance

Archived