SPAM! Fall cleanup sale; TB-303s, 606, etc

ripe

• Members

Poor analogy.

it's no more ridiculous than the suggestion that the 303 experience can be easily simulated.

the only thing that comes close is the x0xb0x, and even that isn't programmed in the same way.

TB-303s sound the way they do because of the way that you interact with them first, insides second. just like any other viable music instrument.

if you want a TB-303 because you want to play TB-303 repertoire in an authentic and period fashion you need a TB-303.

for the record, i prefer the x0xb0x. it's a bit easier to program. i think it could be a lot better though, and hopefully i'll explore that sometime. my only problem with the x0xb0x is that while it's a marginal improvement on the 303 it still needs a lot of work.

• Members

The 303 has what is arguably the most unique position in music history having started a whole genre of music, plus an entire lifestyle and musical revolution. It's history is a large part of the high value. But so is the hype.

i read this and immediately thought:

Banjo_Large%281%29.jpg

:lol:

and then i thought maybe also:

harp.jpg

anyways- back to the delicious offerings!

• Members

it's no more ridiculous than the suggestion that the 303 experience can be easily simulated.

To use your guitar analogy, the closest thing to the 303 phenomenon would be something like a sudden unforeseen surge in the popularity of "vintage" Esteban guitars -- you know, because of that special tone.

• Members

sorry for the n00b sentiment but Roland could do so much for its brand if it reissued the classic TB-303.

True enough. They could certainly produce them cheaply enough, relatively speaking.

Even Korg could have done something close to it with the Monotron. All they had to do was make it playable, give it MIDI and knobs for ADSR, cutoff, res, and maybe an analog distortion circuit, and they could have priced it at 3x-4x the going price of the Monotron.

• Members

True enough. They could certainly produce them cheaply enough, relatively speaking.

Even Korg could have done something close to it with the Monotron. All they had to do was make it playable, give it MIDI and knobs for ADSR, cutoff, res, and maybe an analog distortion circuit, and they could have priced it at 3x-4x the going price of the Monotron.

yeah see that's what i was thinking. it wouldn't exactly be "innovative" but it would have a lot of people talking. like if they had done it when the GAIA came out. i mean don't know how it would work production cost-wise. but i don't see why not.

okay this is the way i see it: when the TB-303 came out in 1982 it cost roughly $400, which IDK is nominally-speaking about the cost of what a neu Korg Electribe goes for today right. now. if you adjust that price for inflation, all things being equal, basically a TB-303 would cost $905 today right. & then if you factor in the law of scarity. i mean the used price seem fair. & like sure if it was like a few nerds in the UK still nostalgic about Acid then yeah maybe its over-valued but when take into account the actual DEMAND for the TB-303 that even w/software & clones don't exactly abate. & the DEMAND is not just for a certain nostalgia for a narrow "sub-genre" like Acid House--Newcleus' "Jam On It" was made w/ a TB-303 a few years BEFORE Acid even came into fruition--becuz it ain't just Acid it's Techno (& the litany of Techno sub-genres), Hip-Hop, R & B, "Dance," Electronic Music, IDM, Electro, Pop & like a whole bunch of post-Rave sub-genres Jesus & all these people & probably some other studio dudes all on ebay looking for a vintage TB-303.

• Members

beautiful pieces, and considering the ultimate immaculate and extremely rare condition, reasonable prices IMHO. if i had a buyer for my slightly cosmetically worn 303, and some cash on the side, id definetely jump on one of your 303's.

probably best damn lookin 303 i've ever seen.

Archived