OT: Two Free Days of Howard Stern

BerkleeBill

• Members

Originally posted by Paul J. Edwards

I first heard Howard when he made his debut on WNBC AM radio in NYC. That was like 20 years ago.

I listeneed to him till his departure to Serius. He really started to suck towards the end and I would never pay for radio.

He missed the mark. Most people will not pay for radio like they do for TV.

Personally I could care less what lesbian or dumb ass he is making fun of these days. I would never pay for that.

Stern oversetimated his influence. For free???? OK!!!!!!

Pay for it? Not many.

That's exactly what people said about cable television. Good thing cable never took off. :D

I'll gladly pay $13/month to listen to commercial free music of any genre I want at any time. Top it off with Stern and I'm hooked. I hadn't listened to terresterial radio in over a year but I can't stop listening to Sirius.

XM will be out of business in the near future. Either they'll merge with Sirius or they'll fall by the wayside.

• Members

Originally posted by facefirst

That's exactly what people said about cable television. Good thing cable never took off.
:D

I'll gladly pay $13/month to listen to commercial free music of any genre I want at any time. Top it off with Stern and I'm hooked. I hadn't listened to terresterial radio in over a year but I can't stop listening to Sirius.

XM will be out of business in the near future. Either they'll merge with Sirius or they'll fall by the wayside.

First off, you can't listen to every genre of music. There is only one music channel that plays "real" metal, and even then 90% of the music is lame. I can just click shuffle on my mp3 collection...much better sound.

Satellite radio is nothing new really, it is just just an overly complicated recycling of something old.

If Sirius as a company were really smart they would have done internet radio, and released cell phones or mp3 players that could go online and get a streaming live feed.

• Members

Originally posted by code_blue

Here is my stance on Sirius and Stern...

I have been a fan since I was 13, thats ten solid years. I got a radio about a month before Stern went to Sirius.

The connection can really suck bad sometimes, cutting out one second, and then coming back...and doing that for 30 minutes staight. The quality of everything sounds like a crappy mp3, too much bass, no clearity...pretty {censored}ty overall. And you will never hear about these problems on air obviously. Everyone on the Stern show tries to talk about the radios and connection like they are perfect, but they are not at all.

I know the only reason they waited so long to get the online streaming working was because they wanted to sell more radios, and that is {censored}ing slimey and a very {censored}ty thing to do.

And last but not least, the free streaming radio is low quality, you can pay a few bucks more a month to get slightly higher quality (total {censored}ing rip-off) and it still sounds pretty {censored}ty...

So, buyer be warned... I still listen, but I listen to the streaming internet feed, not the "upraded"
:rolleyes:
version.

your connection must be retarded because all of the rips I download of the show at 128, even sometimes 64 are great quality. How good of quality do you need for talk radio, not nearly as good as you expect for cd's ect...

I'm pretty sure your issue is isolated, I have a friend who has a membership and he's never once complained about the sound quality.

• Members

I have been a fan since I was 13, thats ten solid years. I got a radio about a month before Stern went to Sirius.

The connection can really suck bad sometimes, cutting out one second, and then coming back...and doing that for 30 minutes staight. The quality of everything sounds like a crappy mp3, too much bass, no clearity...pretty {censored}ty overall. And you will never hear about these problems on air obviously. Everyone on the Stern show tries to talk about the radios and connection like they are perfect, but they are not at all.

I know the only reason they waited so long to get the online streaming working was because they wanted to sell more radios, and that is {censored}ing slimey and a very {censored}ty thing to do.

And last but not least, the free streaming radio is low quality, you can pay a few bucks more a month to get slightly higher quality (total {censored}ing rip-off) and it still sounds pretty {censored}ty...

So, buyer be warned... I still listen, but I listen to the streaming internet feed, not the "upraded"
version.

mine is fine, cuts out in tunnels etc...thats it.

• Members

version.

I use an Aux input on my CD player in my car and i stuck the antenna outside on the roof towards the back and i rarely get drops now. And on music channels the quality is very good.

• Members

Originally posted by facefirst

That's exactly what people said about cable television. Good thing cable never took off.
:D

People will not pay for radio.

Different than TV. Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You act as if people aren't switching over to Satelite or something. Stern has brought over 5-6 Million new listeners this year. No Other entertainer could do that. Not One. Check your facts. You may find that It's alot bigger than what you thought

• Members

Tell that to the 6 Million plus and growing. That includes me and alot of people on this Board.:thu:

The thing you obviously don't understand is that people will absolutely pay for a Superior Product and Satelite is exactly that.

It has something for every mood. I love turning on Raw dog Comedy and hearing the best stand-up acts in the country. When my 2 yr old in the car we turn it to Kidstuff and listen to Kids tunes and he's happy. When I'm goin to work it's Hard Attack or Howard 101. Much much more programing and no Commercials. That's big because regular so-called "free" radio has about 6 Mins at a time of Commercial and it seems that all the stations of the same Genre take them at the same time.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarman967

Tell that to the 6 Million plus and growing. That includes me and alot of people on this Board.
:thu:
The thing you obviously don't understand is that people will absolutely pay for a Superior Product and Satelite is exactly that.

It has something for every mood. I love turning on Raw dog Comedy and hearing the best stand-up acts in the country. When my 2 yr old in the car we turn it to Kidstuff and listen to Kids tunes and he's happy. When I'm goin to work it's Hard Attack or Howard 101. Much much more programing and no Commercials. That's big because regular so-called "free" radio has about 6 Mins at a time of Commercial and it seems that all the stations of the same Genre take them at the same time.

+1 (or 6 million that is)lol!

• Members

Originally posted by guitarman967

Tell that to the 6 Million plus and growing. That includes me and alot of people on this Board.
:thu:

Fact is, most people, me included, don't listen to the radio enough to justify a monthly fee (and the price of the hardware), while we watch TV a lot more. I think satellite radio is a nice concept, since FM radio is terrible, but is ultimately doomed to either failure or being a fringe thing most people don't care about, since you're still stuck listening to music that's being played by some jock or some machine rather than what you want to hear.

• Members

It cracks me up when people say that no one would pay for radio----is that why the units have been sold out and millions of people have it now??

I signed up for sirius because of howard, commercial free radio, nfl, nba, nhl, raw dog, maxim, playboy channel......its one of the best things ive eer bought. Ive never had a problem with reception or sound quality either. People that say howard sucks now i dont think have really listened. I used go drive 20 minutes to school and alot of times there would be commercials the entire time before he went to satelite.

And yeah....hitting shuffle on your ipod will be better than listening to the radio because you arent going to put {censored} you dont like on your ipod. You cant have it all, but i think sirius is damn close.

You gotta give it up for Bubba too :thu:

Bye for now;)

EDIT: Another thing that i think people dont understand s that by getting sirius, radio is available to you where it wasnt before. I moved from a smaller town that has 2 radio stations. If you are in the car alot like i am......its def. worth $13 a month to listen to whatever you want. Not to mention that you can program it so it tells you when a song or band is playing on any station

• Members

Originally posted by blargh

Fact is, most people, me included, don't listen to the radio enough to justify a monthly fee (and the price of the hardware), while we watch TV a lot more. I think satellite radio is a nice concept, since FM radio is terrible, but is ultimately doomed to either failure or being a fringe thing most people don't care about, since you're still stuck listening to music that's being played by some jock or some machine rather than what you want to hear.

Let me guess...You don't have it right? So it can't be that good.

The Fee for it is Minimal and is Tax deductable (Because of the weather and traffic) so it's a win win. Once you have it you will never want to go back to Regular radio.

The fact that not everyone listens to the radio enough to pay for the service will have no bearing on the success of Satelite. There are many products that only certain groups of people buy that are highly successful...like um, AMPS for instance

• Members

i have a sirius sportster 4 radio.

i have had it for a month now, and i'm a truck driver,so i am traveling while i listen to it all the time.

i have no problems whatsoever with it. once in awhile the signal will cut out for a second,but it never gives me any problems- it always comes right back and doesn't do it very often at all. i don't have an upgraded antenna either- all i have is the little magnetic one and i just have it setting on my dashboard.

as far as audio quality- i went to a store and bought a little generic cassette adapter- which plugs right into the back of the radio,and it sounds great to me-

i couldn't be happier with mine.

• Members

First off, you can't listen to every genre of music.

why not?

There is only one music channel that plays "real" metal, and even then 90% of the music is lame.

no it's not-- 90% of the music on there kicks ass!

If Sirius as a company were really smart they would have done internet radio, and released cell phones or mp3 players that could go online and get a streaming live feed.

they have.

i can listen on my computer anytime i want.

they also have the portable "stiletto" radio now.

• Members

First off, you can't listen to every genre of music. There is only one music channel that plays "real" metal, and even then 90% of the music is lame. I can just click shuffle on my mp3 collection...much better sound.

Satellite radio is nothing new really, it is just just an overly complicated recycling of something old.

Weirdo, that's what the STILLETO does.

I've had sirius for a year and it's been perfect. You can listen to EVERY genre of music. 2 metal channels, a bunch of rock, etc. Ragae to classical. Commercial free.

Reception is awesome for me. 2 days free internet was to expose people to it. They also have the 1 cent howardTV preview in November.

• Members

Hmmmm......... Well Howard is more amazing than anyone thought I guess. When he anounced he was going to sirius they had 600,000 subscribers. less than a year later they have almost 6 million! That said however once you do get hooked up you realise how much great music IS available! -without commercials. I listen at work so its 5 hours of Howard then I switch over to the a hard rock station. I think your underestimating the availible audience.

• Members

Originally posted by rockon1000

Hmmmm......... Well Howard is more amazing than anyone thought I guess. When he anounced he was going to sirius they had 600,000 subscribers. less than a year later they have almost 6 million! That said however once you do get hooked up you realise how much great music IS available! -without commercials. I listen at work so its 5 hours of Howard then I switch over to the a hard rock station. I think your underestimating the availible audience.

So the only thing sattelite radio has going for it is Stern? Subscription rates are already slowing, and neither company is making a profit. Hey, I'd like to see sattelite radio succeed, but I'm not optimistic. Apple sold far more ipods in the last quarter alone than either sattelite company has subscribers.

Not that it matters really, but howard announced he was moving to sirius about 2 years ago, not less than a year. When he actually made the move I'm pretty sure their sub numbers were already in the 3 million, and from what I can find on the internet, Sirius is only at 5.1 million subscribers so far.

• Members

So the only thing sattelite radio has going for it is Stern? Subscription rates are already slowing, and neither company is making a profit. Hey, I'd like to see sattelite radio succeed, but I'm not optimistic. Apple sold far more ipods in the last quarter alone than either sattelite company has subscribers.

Not that it matters really, but howard announced he was moving to sirius about 2 years ago, not less than a year. When he actually made the move I'm pretty sure their sub numbers were already in the 3 million, and from what I can find on the internet, Sirius is only at 5.1 million subscribers so far.

GEEZ...read the whole post....

• Members

There's no reason to be so pesimistic about a Product that so many people love. What's the point? Satelite has way more to offer than Stern and that's the whole point in going Satelite..You know because of the Variety? It's not like regular Radio, you can fine tune your preferences.

BTW Howard did not say he was moving to Satelite two years in advance that's just crazy made up {censored}. The numbers you quote at 5.1 Million are debatable but what isn't is that the number is growing not slowing as you would have us believe

• Members

You're talking out your ass about something you know nothing about. Between Sirius and XM they have in the neighborhood of 12 million people who pay for radio.

Archived