Will a Triple XXX get me closer to the new Bury Your Dead tone than my 5150 ?

syxstringslayer

• Members

Its about that trade for my 5150 for a XXX.

With Rubys in it.

Im ball parking the new Bury Your Dead sound.

You should hear it on myspace if you havnt already.

And i really like the new Cradle of Filth sound too.

Id like to build my sound in that area...

So based on that.... What is verdict.

• Members

Originally posted by mightyjoeyoungxnj

Don't they use Rectos?? When I played a show with them they were. Hmmm...Not really sure either Peavey would get you very close to their tone, but the Triple XXX might be closer. Have you looked into a single rectifier??

-Joe

Not really looked into that. And from what i understand they used duals and krank on the new album.

I dont have money for a new amp.

I have a block 5150, and a guy wants to trade me

his roadcased XXX for it straight out....

• Members
Originally posted by wok

What's up with all the copycat-ing? How about get a good sound of your own.

Besides that, remember that bands like Cradle record in big sudio's and their guitar sound is heavily processed.

:freak:

Read the post. it said "ball park" and "build my sound" from that general sound. Didnt say i wanted to be exactly that did i?

Sure didnt. :wave:

• Members

Why not? As mentioned above, the XXX will get far closer to the Recto sound than a 5150, I find it to be alot more flexable than the 5150 for a variety of reasons too. No matter how you slice it, a 5150 is pretty much going to sound like a 5150, there's not much getting away from it's unique sound.(not like that's a bad thing by any means)

Hell, the road case seals the deal IMHO, go for it! :thu::cool:

Oh yea, checked out Bury The Dead's myspace:

206951118_l.jpg

Looks like a Framus Cobra and a Series 2 Dual Recto.

• Members

Yeah i liked the road case thrown in there too :cool:

Im gonna have to do something with the faceplate though.
Not that i DONT like the trucker girls, I just dont think its all that heavy looking... I liked a guys blacked out tread plate. And I wish i could get the actual plate where the knobs are chrome plated rather than the peavey black... But who knows.

Ive had this 5150 forever, And i was approached with a trade like this a couple years ago and i said no. But I like compression. I hear XXXs are more compressed. And it would probly sound even more Beasty with a boost out front. And i already have a 7 band EQ that im sure i can find use in the loop with.

Im almost sure im gonna do it.....

....almost:evil:

• Members
Originally posted by syxstringslayer

Yeah i liked the road case thrown in there too
:cool:

Im gonna have to do something with the faceplate though.

Not that i DONT like the trucker girls, I just dont think its all that heavy looking... I liked a guys blacked out tread plate. And I wish i could get the actual plate where the knobs are chrome plated rather than the peavey black... But who knows.

Haha, can't say that I blame you, I got tired of looking at the trucker chicks after several years and especially after seeing some inventive Triple XXX owner's custom jobs, I wanted to take a stab at it. :cool: That pic in my sig is my first attempt with a can of flat black industrial strength spray paint with my original knobs and a chrome diamondplate. I recently got the new black plate and knobs came in semi-gloss flat black since the old chrome knobs and plate's industrial spray paint wouldn't resist chipping as long as I would like.(and it was a bitch to strip the paint off of it!!!)

BTW, the Triple XXX comes stock with the trucker chix plate and chrome knobs. I got some (my new) black and chrome diamond plate for mine from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180032715815

Contact him quick if you go with a Triple XXX as he's got one left it looks like. Now for the knobs there's a guy I used to get my new black knobs from: (and even have dimples to mark the direction of the knob!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130022525552

Now I have a black diamondplate/black knobs set and a chrome diamondplate/chrome knobs set to play with or swap back and forth with on my Triple XXX. :D I had to butcher the trucker chix plate with a pair of tin snips for the Triple XXX logo though...

Originally posted by syxstringslayer

Ive had this 5150 forever, And i was approached with a trade like this a couple years ago and i said no. But I like compression. I hear XXXs are more compressed. And it would probly sound even more Beasty with a boost out front. And i already have a 7 band EQ that im sure i can find use in the loop with.

Im almost sure im gonna do it.....

....almost:evil:

I dunno why some people say compression is such a bad thing IMHO, it's great for solos that's for sure. Most high gain amps are typically compressed sounding anyway. I can testify to the boost on the crunch channel and a parametric EQ in the loop. My RP2000 is a absolute necessity with my Triple XXX now so where I can change EQ and boost settings on the fly with patches for my rhythm sounds and solo sounds in conjunction with channel switching. After the retube with JJ's I wouldn't trade this amp for anything, it's cosmetic overhaul is just icing on the cake. :thu:

• Members

you can get diamond plate at virtually any machine shop. I got the piece for mine for 5 dollars. I drilled the four holes myself (it's aluminum so you can drill thru it easily with a regular bit and within thirty minutes my amp looked great. As far as running a metal zone into the clean channel that would probably sound good quiet but I have yet to hear that sound even remotely good at gig levels.

• Members

When ran as a stand alone distortion source yes, the Metalzone is pretty horrid Shane, however... Used as a booster with it's semi-parametric EQ, turning the gain off and the level up on a amp's gain channel it's a pretty wicked little pedal. :thu::cool: It certainly surprised the hell outta me. :D

• Members
Originally posted by M-III

When ran as a stand alone distortion source yes, the Metalzone is pretty horrid Shane, however... Used as a booster with it's semi-parametric EQ, turning the gain off and the level up on a amp's gain channel it's a pretty wicked little pedal.
:thu::cool:
It certainly surprised the hell outta me.
:D

That I would believe Jay and I have heard that from a lot of people.

• Members

i engineered and mixed beauty and the breakdown along with jason suecof. I used a recto and 5150 for all guitar tones through a v30 loaded marshall cab. The main sound of that record is mostly recto. the 5150 was mixed a bit lower. We also tracked using slims esp hollow body loaded with emgs. Both amps boosted with my maxon 808. Strings were 11-70 and tuned to drop A. XXX will definitely not get you very close to the tone, it just doesnt have the bit and growl of the 5150. glad you like the record though, thats one of my fave guitar tones i've ever gotten on record, and one of my fave records i've ever done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by M-III

Why not? As mentioned above, the XXX will get far closer to the Recto sound than a 5150, I find it to be alot more flexable than the 5150 for a variety of reasons too. No matter how you slice it, a 5150 is pretty much going to sound like a 5150, there's not much getting away from it's unique sound.(not like that's a bad thing by any means)

Hell, the road case seals the deal IMHO, go for it!
:thu::cool:

Oh yea, checked out Bury The Dead's myspace:

206951118_l.jpg

Looks like a Framus Cobra and a Series 2 Dual Recto.

I have that exact guitar but I wouldn't put damn EMG's in it! :mad:

• Members
Originally posted by Sordid1

why not? EMG makes great pickups! I'm not using them right now but I would without hesitation again.

Oh I love the EMG's in my Viper 400 but in my Xtone PC-1 its gotta be passive. A semi-hollow with EMG's is almost sacrilegious!

:D

• Members

i'm going to a show next month where they're playing, i might be able to give a gear rollcall, provided i get there in time to see a couple of their songs. i'm planning on missing their set, mainly because i think they suck. good tone? maybe. good live show? yet to be seen. good cd? oh hell no.

Archived