Kurzweil PC3 keybed

• Members

I didn't like it at all, but these are very much a matter of personal taste, as you can see. For me, it did not cross the threshold of being satisfying enough for piano. For non-piano sounds, I thought the non-weighted board on the PC361 was better. So, when moving "up" from the PC361 to the PC3, I felt the action got worse for non piano sounds, but piano still didn't get good enough to be usable, therefore I found it to be the worst of all worlds. I should mention that I hardly played it (that's how much I disliked it), so it's not inconceivable that someone who was willing to spend some more time with it could "adjust." I'm impatient that way... if I don't like a keyboard feel right away, it gets crossed off the list.

Rather than buy a PC3, I'd be inclined to buy a PC361 for a nice unweighted action, and a light cheap weighted 88 (like a Yamaha P-95), and MIDI them together so I could play the Kurzweil piano sounds from the superior weighted 88 and the non-piano sounds from the superior unweighted 61. Same sounds and capabilities, but with two good keyboards instead of one compromised one.

• Members

Kind of related here: I don't usually like to cross link to topics, but 'that other forum' has a great topic about the controller capabilities of the PC3 series going here: http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2240184/Kurzweil_PC3_as_midi_controlle#Post2240184

Good info for those curious, and even current owners might pick up a few tips.

About the action - it's all personal preference. If you're looking at the X(88) model, I'd say it's a bit lighter than the Yamaha stuff I've used, but its got a quick return, and of course, it's got release velocity too, that can be put to very good use. Not sure how their current keys compare to previous ones, but my K2600 is a good all arounder, semi-weighted, quick return board. I'm pretty satisfied with it.

• Members

Guess you could say I like it well - had my PC3X since March, 2008; bought a PC3 (76key) 11 months later for gigging. Very pleased with both. I was already used to Kurz sound - having had a K2000VP, PC2, SP88X, and 2661.

The 88 usually stays in the studio, the 76 is used for gigging (sometimes with an Electro 3 as well). Hint - what amp/speakers are used with it makes a good bit of difference.

• Members

Compared to Yammie Id say I would classify it as relatively light and a bit springy, a good all rounder...it is even possible to do some organ stuff without too much effort, also it has the best aftertouch response Ive experienced on a weighted keyboard, allows for very expressive playing of the synth patches.

Definitely try it out as I have witnessed some veeeery different reactions from people so I cant say its great with calm conscience even though I love it and find it very playable if not completely realistic...the sort of action that keeps me coming back to play even though I spent the last 8 hours pounding away and should really do some studying.

Archived