The best music of NES

AnalogGuy

• Members

Many times when playing games of my old trusty 8-bit Nintendo I am many times surprised how great music the composers were able to make, and how creative they truly were as NES music put some serious limitations!

First of all the music of nes consist of these elements;

- 2 voices of square/pulse waveforms (melody, accompanist)

- 1 voice for triangle waveform (bass, kick and percussions)

- 1 voice for white noise (effects, hi-hats, snare enhancement)

- 1 voice for very rudimentary PCM samples

in most cases one voice of square/pulse was sacrifice in order to emulate reverb/delay for melodies and so many times they managed to make BOTH bassline AND bass kick with same single voice!

Here's my ultimately favourite NES tunes which I think are pretty amazing at their own:

Power Blade. Notice the emulation of Simmons toms! The second song is also very groovy which is pretty rare at NES... wait, did I hear a real whistle sound there? :lol:

[YOUTUBE]OZZF-quBUA4[/YOUTUBE]

Werewolf, the last warrior. IMHO these are the BEST drum sounds of NES!

[YOUTUBE]K88EqLQvYjQ[/YOUTUBE]

(still makes my hair raising... this game and specially this music was so creepy when I played this as a kid)

[YOUTUBE]gg-_6mdKlhA[/YOUTUBE]

so COOL tune and drums! :thu:

[YOUTUBE]iofX0TwzBcQ[/YOUTUBE]

Batman, return of joker. The stage 1 music is so memorable.

[YOUTUBE]-bNCGR1D9WE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Solstice is great. So is Metroid. Though Super Metroid owns it, despite SNES soundchip not being as interesting... Also try having Aphex Twin SAW vol.2 on in the background of Super Metroid.

Some NES faves:

nXefXfB6IKI

...the whole game really, but I've played this on Amiga and Gameboy as well and the first level always gets me.

ErRZPpT2Tz0

...developed by Ocean, don't really care for their NES games but they had great music... another one with only bits and pieces...

1RyyRUwVHT8

• Members

Some of my favorites:

Castlevania (especially III)

all Marios/Zeldas, most of Koji Kondo's work

Metroid

Final Fantasy

Ducktales

Double Dragon (better than the arcade music)

Batman (Sunsoft- great drums)

Blaster Master

Adventure Island

Shatterhand

Wizards N' Warriors

Ninja Gaiden

Little Nemo

Nerdy admission #1: I can play most of these on command.

#2: The Flash Man stage from Megaman II mashes up really well with Fleetwood Mac's "Chain." It's only about 1-2 bpm difference, and in the same key.

:)

• Members

Sega games with Yamaha soundchips are my fave though... feel teh power of 4op FM!...

Althought this is offtopic, but yeah, I agree. Just listen these. I am still absolutely stunned how beautiful music they made with sega mega drive from the very first experience in my childhood and I still remember how these songs haunted me for a very long time:

World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck:

[YOUTUBE]ZpEUg6JJoyA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]fADYJqP24xI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]b4hQROMFsYA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]AEt2lhyqsDw[/YOUTUBE]

and specially this magical tune, absolutely wonderful!

[YOUTUBE]Hy2KhrdXs0w[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

this one is permanently etched into my brain:

god only knows how many 10p's i stuffed in one of those in the 80s, and never got that far in it, cira 2001 i played it for about 6 hours straight on my console thingy on a flight back from NY and didn;t do any better.

actually it is stupidly difficult to finish in MAME even with cheats enabled, and when i finally did manage, you get a message telling you that you haven't finished because the whole thing was an illusion sent by satan, and then you go back to the beginning... just couldn;t face going through it again by that point to find out if there is really a proper ending:facepalm:

• Members

god only knows how many 10p's i stuffed in one of those in the 80s, and never got that far in it, cira 2001 i played it for about 6 hours straight on my console thingy on a flight back from NY and didn;t do any better.

i know that feeling- a year or 2 ago i went to a friend's company picnic day at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (which hosts the bay area's most epic arcade from Pong to modern). they opened early for the business party's guests with the arcade on free-run. i played Dragon's Lair nearly 99 credits worth without getting even vaguely passable at it.

lair1204.jpg

• Members

i know that feeling- a year or 2 ago i went to a friend's company picnic day at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (which hosts the bay area's most epic arcade from Pong to modern). they opened early for the business party's guests with the arcade on free-run. i played Dragon's Lair nearly 99 credits worth without getting even vaguely passable at it.

lair1204.jpg

I've always been a Space Ace guy myself. Dirk the Daring or Dexter?

spaceace.jpg

Archived