The official "how do those speaker mixes sound" thread!

rog951

• Members

For you guys who mix your speakers (and for us guys that want to try it) I thought it'd be a good idea to have a dedicated thread where we could discuss the successes and the failures we've had with certain combinations of speakers. I'm hoping to get beyond "V30s and G12H30s sound good together" and collect some detailed info, including which amps certain speaker combos seem to like/dislike. The more specifics you can give, the better IMO.

Obviously, I realize how subjective this topic is and also how wide-ranging it can be. It might be too big of a subject for a single thread? I'm sure you guys will have no problems letting me know if it's a dumb idea! :thu:

I'll start with a question: I've got a 4x12 with four Greenbacks and a 4x12 with four V30s that I'm pretty happy with as is, using a JCM800 2204 and a 5150, respectively. I have a third, empty 4x12 (front-loaded) that I'd like to try mixing some speakers in. The head I'll most likely be using with this cab the most is a Single Recto, but I also want to try and make sure this cab covers some ground the others don't. My speaker choices are the following: G12T-75s, CL80s, MC-90s, Emi Governors and Emi Legend V12s. These are speakers I already own in 16 ohm pairs so it'd be great to hear good pair combos out of that batch. I'd even consider putting four different speakers in the cab if anyone though it'd be a worthwhile experiment. Whatcha think?

:wave:

• Members

I liked CL80s with Greenbacks. I used it with my Triple Recto filled with JJ KT-77s. Maybe the MC-90s would work even better with the Greenbacks? The Cl80s have a pretty tight bottom end and a certain "growl" to them, and the Greenbacks have a bump in the upper-mids where it seems Rectos are kinda missing something. I used it with my LP and a Dimarzio Super 3 if that helps, too. :)

• Members

Weber Blue Dog 12" + Weber Chicago 12" = :)

Emi Wizard + Emi Cannabis Rex = :)

Weber Blue Dog 12" + Emi Ramrod 10" = :)

Emi Cannabis Rex + Emi Blue Tick Hound = :)

Weber 12A125 + Emi 10216 10" = :)

Weber Cali 12" + Emi 10216 10" = :)

Emi Cannabis Rex + Emi GB12 = :)

All the above are with parallel wiring. :thu:

Archived