Naylor Superdrive 60 - good at low volumes?

ratter

• Members

Originally posted by XxBognerengoBxX

I liked the SED 6L6GC's in those amps. It was kind of a sweeter sound to my ears. I tried JJ 6L6GC's in them as well. It was a little warmer and grindy. I liked the SED's more than the JJ's.

The stock Sovtek 12ax7wb's are where it's at, but I always liked GE 12ax7wa's in them. They had the same amount of gain and the tone was just sweeter, chimier and more detailed. A Telefunken in V1 was the "Be All/End All".
;)

The stock Sovtek 5881's are super rugged and pretty much laugh at the plate voltage. The plate voltage ran anywhere from 475 to 505 depending on what tubes were in the amp. Most of the time it was right there at 495.

The SED 6L6GC's are a very good choice if you're wanting to try out 6L6GC's.
:thu:

I was using the JJ ecc83s in V1. My Soldano came stock with this tube, and I pretty much hated it with every other amp I have, but it sounded good in Naylor. I have since switched back to the Sovtek 12ax7wb.

I am not looking to switch the output tubes. I was just wondering what made you want to try them out, and what it changed in the amp that you liked so much? Didn't know if it happened to give the high end a little more shimmer?

• Members

Originally posted by illini

I was using the JJ ecc83s in V1. My Soldano came stock with this tube, and I pretty much hated it with every other amp I have, but it sounded good in Naylor. I have since switched back to the Sovtek 12ax7wb.

I am not looking to switch the output tubes. I was just wondering what made you want to try them out, and what it changed in the amp that you liked so much? Didn't know if it happened to give the high end a little more shimmer?

I have a ton of preamp and power tubes. I just got a little curious and tried them out. I wound up loving the SED's.

It was mainly just the detail and sweetness that those tubes added. The amp sounded a bit more like a Fender while I was plugged into the low input.

If I can land another SD60, I'm going to stick with the stock tubes for a little while before I start messing around with it.

Dale

• Members

Originally posted by ratter

So is $1400-1500 a fair ballpark price for the SD60? There's also an SC38 on TGP...

Yeah, more or less. I sold my last one for 1650. Lonnie has a good price on his, but I don't know what someone would be looking at as far as getting it back into the states. He is in Toronto.

Someone told me once that if a product is made in the USA, there wouldn't be any brokerage fees. I've never shipped anything to Canada or bought anything from there, so I haven't the first clue about any of that.

Maybe someone could chime in and let you know? :wave:

• Members

Ya, you had me at "gritty". My EV is rich and smooth. Very nice, but I could handle a little more grit. Interesting that you say the other two have more gain. Kyle at Nayler 8 years ago told me there was no difference in the circuit except that instead of a presence knob they preset the presence at 8 and added the Reverb. And there is no problem with the amount of gain I get out of this amp. I never run the gain past 3 oclock. But even if you wanted to use all the gain, you can hear every note.
:thu:

Well that's not entirely true. There's obviously a reverb circut in the electraverb and if memory serves me right half a gain stage gets borrowed by the reverb circuit.

• Members

Originally posted by Spewbag

Well that's not entirely true. There's obviously a reverb circut in the electraverb and if memory serves me right half a gain stage gets borrowed by the reverb circuit.

How difficult would it be to remove the reverb from the circut since I don't use it anyway? And, would this make it sound more like the Super Club or Super Drive?

• Members

How difficult would it be to remove the reverb from the circut since I don't use it anyway? And, would this make it sound more like the Super Club or Super Drive?

Hey loyd your mail box is full.

Spew

• Members

I played two SD60s Great amps, but they just didn't do it for me. They didn't have the girth I was looking for and were too smooth, or nice sounding.

They can do what they do at a very low volume though, great master volumes.

Every one should playthrough one to eperience a great amp that still comes in at a decent price. Even though it wasn't for me, I could still hear the excellence in the design. No fizz or flub, very responsive to touch.

Archived