Naylor Superdrive 60 - good at low volumes?

ratter

• Members

I have an Electroverb 38 that works at low volumes, but also lower wattage than the amp you are asking about. That being said, one of the selling points for these amps at the time were that they all sounded great at lower volumes. I haven't played one that sounded like it had to be turned up really loud to hit the sweet spot.

Are you looking to pick up a new one, or have you found an original?

• Members

Originally posted by ratter

There are a couple originals out there for sale. It's one option I'm considering...I need to sell my current amp first though. But the Naylor is one of those amps that everybody raves about...

Dude..........Like butta. It's still my Fav amp and not just because I worked there. I still think the SC and SD are the flag ships. The electra verb is nice but not as gritty and less gain.

• Members

Originally posted by Spewbag

Dude..........Like butta. It's still my Fav amp and not just because I worked there. I still think the SC and SD are the flag ships. The electra verb is nice but not as gritty and less gain.

There's the man I'm lookin' for. There's no kind of half-power switch or anything, right? It's just one channel, bass/mid/treb/presence/gain/volume?

• Members

There's the man I'm lookin' for. There's no kind of half-power switch or anything, right? It's just one channel, bass/mid/treb/presence/gain/volume?

I'm not the man you were looking for, but no there is not a half-power switch. Naylor did make a two channel amp. But like most amps the one people rave about is the single channel. They come with Bass/Mid/Treble/Presence for the Super Club 38 and the Super Drive 60. The Electroverb doesn't have a Presence knob but instead has reverb. I don't like the reverb however, and never use it. Unless of course you play surf guitar, then it would be perfect for you.

My Electroverb 38 sounds amazing, but I would love to try a Super Drive 60 or Super Club 38. I think I would like it even more, judging by the comments people make about them.

Would you be willing to tell me where you found two for sale?

Peace,

Lloyd

• Members

Originally posted by Spewbag

Ya, you had me at "gritty". My EV is rich and smooth. Very nice, but I could handle a little more grit. Interesting that you say the other two have more gain. Kyle at Nayler 8 years ago told me there was no difference in the circuit except that instead of a presence knob they preset the presence at 8 and added the Reverb. And there is no problem with the amount of gain I get out of this amp. I never run the gain past 3 oclock. But even if you wanted to use all the gain, you can hear every note.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by LarryJ48

Man, I haven't been here for a while. Have you parted ways with the Superdrive 80?

Hey Larry. Sure have. The 80 went bye-bye. Had a Marshall 2061x for a brief while. Loved it, but replaced it with a 1959HW. Love it as well, but the volume just ain't happening. Somewhere in between amps, a baby happened :eek: , so I'm looking for something a little more manageable in volume.

Contenders at the moment are, of course, another Budda. Maybe a Mesa Lonestar. Maybe a Naylor. Another 2061x if I could find it. Or perhaps a Suhr Badger, if I can wait that long. Sifting through the options right now...

• Members

Originally posted by illini

Would you be willing to tell me where you found two for sale?

Peace,

Lloyd

If I had cash in hand ready to go, I wouldn't tell ya. ;)

But since I don't....Mike Landau's SD60 is on ebay right now. And Lonnie Totman is selling one on Huge Racks.

• Members

If I had cash in hand ready to go, I wouldn't tell ya.
;)

But since I don't....Mike Landau's SD60 is on ebay right now. And Lonnie Totman is selling one on Huge Racks.

Thanks man. :thu:

I saw the Landau one on ebay, but since you said you saw two up for sale...

I may need to bid on that as well.

• Members

Hey Larry. Sure have. The 80 went bye-bye. Had a Marshall 2061x for a brief while. Loved it, but replaced it with a 1959HW. Love it as well, but the volume just ain't happening. Somewhere in between amps, a baby happened
:eek:
, so I'm looking for something a little more manageable in volume.

Contenders at the moment are, of course, another Budda. Maybe a Mesa Lonestar. Maybe a Naylor. Another 2061x if I could find it. Or perhaps a Suhr Badger, if I can wait that long. Sifting through the options right now...

2061 is definitely a cool one. I could definitely understand the volume issues with the 1959. Even with a hot plate you still gotta move some air for a plexi to feel right. Not sure on the volume on the Naylor but the one I heard (can't remember the model) definitely fits the bill with that list of amps. Not very far off from a Budda in the OD department. Well I can only compare it to an SD30. Have you considered the SD30? The one I had did pretty well at maintaining the goods at lower volume.

Did you ever do any clips with the 1959 with the 70 Fuzz? I bet that sounds nice!

• Members

Hey Dale,

Did you sell your SD60?

Yeah, I sold my combo. I got tired of lugging that thing around. I sold it to a guy named Scott in Houston. He bought my EV60 from me as well.

The funny thing is that the guy who is the current high bidder on Landau's SD60 bought an SD60 from me and I bought it back from him. It's like there is an underground Naylor click on the internet. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by LarryJ48

2061 is definitely a cool one. I could definitely understand the volume issues with the 1959. Even with a hot plate you still gotta move some air for a plexi to feel right. Not sure on the volume on the Naylor but the one I heard (can't remember the model) definitely fits the bill with that list of amps. Not very far off from a Budda in the OD department. Well I can only compare it to an SD30. Have you considered the SD30? The one I had did pretty well at maintaining the goods at lower volume.

Did you ever do any clips with the 1959 with the 70 Fuzz? I bet that sounds nice!

I may have, I'll have to look. The SD30 is definitely on the short list. Budda is the most likely result of my search, but I might "play the field" a bit first!

• Members

I may have, I'll have to look. The SD30 is definitely on the short list. Budda is the most likely result of my search, but I might "play the field" a bit first!

I've always been interested in Budda and Demeter. Those two companies have always had this illusive mystique to me. It's weird.

• Members

Originally posted by XxBognerengoBxX

It's like there is an underground Naylor click on the internet.
;)

Ya it sure does. But what a wonderful click it is.:thu:

I sent you a PM to ask you about the 6L6's you put in your SD. What did it do to the amp that you liked so much?

• Members

Ya it sure does. But what a wonderful click it is.
:thu:

I sent you a PM to ask you about the 6L6's you put in your SD. What did it do to the amp that you liked so much?

I liked the SED 6L6GC's in those amps. It was kind of a sweeter sound to my ears. I tried JJ 6L6GC's in them as well. It was a little warmer and grindy. I liked the SED's more than the JJ's.

The stock Sovtek 12ax7wb's are where it's at, but I always liked GE 12ax7wa's in them. They had the same amount of gain and the tone was just sweeter, chimier and more detailed. A Telefunken in V1 was the "Be All/End All". ;)

The stock Sovtek 5881's are super rugged and pretty much laugh at the plate voltage. The plate voltage ran anywhere from 475 to 505 depending on what tubes were in the amp. Most of the time it was right there at 495.

The SED 6L6GC's are a very good choice if you're wanting to try out 6L6GC's. :thu:

Archived