Kurzweil SP4 sounds ... better than SP2?

edc1800

• Members

A little background ... I got a Kurzweil SP2-76 a little over a year ago, and I have to say I'm more than a little disappointed with it. Nice features for the price and the action is just how I like it, but the patches are all kinda blah. I kept the older SP76 just for practicing (and I'm glad I did now), and I much prefer its sounds to the SP2. Pianos sound brighter, organs - as weak as they are - are still better than the SP2. Consequently the SP2 is relegated to the nice big hard case I got just for it and little else.

I need a basic 76-key stage piano with decent, full-sounding rock organs and strings; the ability to layer and split would be a plus, but not necessary if the factory patches are good enough (which the SP2's are not, even layered :rolleyes:). I just caught sight of the SP4, which is right for the budget once I unload the SP2. It claims to have 128 patches taken from the PC3, but I've never heard a PC3 either to have any idea how it compares. I'm wondering if I should take another shot with Kurzweil, or go look for something else that I know is going to set me back even more but will sound half way decent.

So here's where I need some help, especially since Kurzweil's to demo are nowhere to be found. If anyone could shed a little light on the sound quality of the SP4 vs. the SP2, or at least the sound quality of the PC3, I'd be most grateful.

Thanx in advance ...

• Members

As far as I know, the SP4 has the identical sound quality as the PC3. It doesn't have the editing, the sequencer, aftertouch, as many sounds, as many zones, as many storable presets, etc. etc. but the sound quality should be the same. It doesn't have as many effects, but it is rare to need many effects if you're playing one sound at a a time. OTOH, if you're using it with a sequencer for running 16 tracks at a time, then yeah, you can easily get bit by running out of fx. Anyway, you can at least hear some sound samples under the audio tab at http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/Product.php?id=207

• Members

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses so far. Maybe I should also have mentioned that this board will mainly be used for live performances. I also have an Alesis QS 6.1 that serves as my secondary board which, although never could be considered 'top of the line', does everything I need it to that's not a piano very well. The Kurz is/will be my 'main' board in that its primary function will be pianos; but I also need it to fill in organs or strings when needed if the Alesis is set up for other leads. It's this extra organ & string duty where the SP2 really falls short for me. And while the pianos are passable, they're nowhere close to what I expect from a Kurzweil.

Since this board will be for live use, I don't need a gazillion sounds, effects, insane 'editability', or a sequencer; in fact, the simpler the better. The SP2 has all the functionality I need, but I'm not happy with the flat-sounding patches. The organs are especially bleghh. I did listen to all the SP4's piano samples at the Kurzweil site, and from what I heard it's eons better than the SP2 -- bright, full and rich, especially the Studio Grand. I don't know how much of that could be attributed to a good engineer with a high-end eq; but there's only so much lipstick you can put on a pig, so my first impression is that it inherently has the good sound I'm looking for. ;) If the rock organs are of the same quality, I'd be very happy (there are none of those in the audio tab on the Kurzweil site, which itself gives me pause...). I guess what I'm trying to confirm as best as possible is how the SP4 (or PC3) sounds compared to the SP2 series without being able to actually hear it -- and without having heard a PC3 -- for myself.

Meanwhile, anybody want to buy a 1-year-old SP2? :D

thanks again ...

• Members

Hm, "worse" for Kurzweil is not the same "worse" as with other vendors. Less FX doesn't mean much when even the basic 1 unit reverb sounds amazing! Sample content and VAST is the same (except isn't editable as on PC3), so basic sound quality won't suffer much.

Yeah... I came way too harsh, I just meant it is basically the small brother of PC3. Synths are very similar but PC3 has way more editing and sequencers etc...

Anyway the Piano is the same, but AFAIK kurzweil has been programming some new piano patches. And the reverb is also better I guess. So this translates into better sound overall.

The strings are good, though korg probably still remains the "pad string" king. For realistic stuff big libraries are better. But they are better than SP2 as there is the new string expansion. So you do probably be very happy with these.

Organs, AFAIK the KB-3 is on the SP4. Which means better organs. I am not sure if SP4 has enough FX to run the leslie as well though. And in general the leslie lacks just a bit.

I think overall it is very solid choice. You may also want to look at some nord keyboards.

• Members

You may also want to look at some nord keyboards.

I like Nord stuff, but I don't think they make anything suitable for the OP. He's looking for a "76-key stage piano with decent, full-sounding rock organs and strings." The Stage EX 76 doesn't have real strings (the closest would be a VA style string patch from its synth section). The Electro 3 isn't available with more than 73 keys, and even then, its action is quite poor for piano (plus you can't layer the piano and strings, if that's an issue... it's strictly monotimbral).

• Members

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses so far. Maybe I should also have mentioned that this board will mainly be used for live performances. I also have an Alesis QS 6.1 that serves as my secondary board which, although never could be considered 'top of the line', does everything I need it to that's not a piano very well. The Kurz is/will be my 'main' board in that its primary function will be pianos; but I also need it to fill in organs or strings when needed if the Alesis is set up for other leads. It's this extra organ & string duty where the SP2 really falls short for me. And while the pianos are passable, they're nowhere close to what I expect from a Kurzweil.

Since this board will be for live use, I don't need a gazillion sounds, effects, insane 'editability', or a sequencer; in fact, the simpler the better. The SP2 has all the functionality I need, but I'm not happy with the flat-sounding patches. The organs are especially bleghh. I did listen to all the SP4's piano samples at the Kurzweil site, and from what I heard it's eons better than the SP2 -- bright, full and rich, especially the Studio Grand. I don't know how much of that could be attributed to a good engineer with a high-end eq; but there's only so much lipstick you can put on a pig, so my first impression is that it inherently has the good sound I'm looking for.
;)
If the rock organs are of the same quality, I'd be very happy (there are none of those in the audio tab on the Kurzweil site, which itself gives me pause...). I guess what I'm trying to confirm as best as possible is how the SP4 (or PC3) sounds compared to the SP2 series without being able to actually hear it -- and without having heard a PC3 -- for myself.

Meanwhile, anybody want to buy a 1-year-old SP2?
:D

thanks again ...

The SP2 was a spin off of the PC2 (not Pc3), developed by our now defunct Korean R&D office. The sounds are 10+ years old and the synthesis under the hood is completely different than what's in a PC3.

KB3 audio demos are still on my list of things to get done before xmas.

The Pc3/SP4 organs are light years ahead of what's in the SP2.

• Members

The SP2 was a spin off of the PC2 (not Pc3), developed by our now defunct Korean R&D office. The sounds are 10+ years old and the synthesis under the hood is completely different than what's in a PC3.

KB3 audio demos are still on my list of things to get done before xmas.

The Pc3/SP4 organs are light years ahead of what's in the SP2.

Ahhh ... that's exactly the kind of comparison I was looking for, short of someone bringing one into my living room for a demo. It sounds like this one is very much worth taking a chance on (if the Studio Grand sounds anywhere near as good through my amp as the sample online, that'll be worth the price alone).

Now wish me luck - the SP2 is on eBay, and if I get my price for it, in 10 days I'll be placing an order for an SP4.

Thank you very much ... I really appreciate the info. :thu:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Ok ... the SP2 is sold. Will be pulling the trigger soon for a replacement, but for now I want to take the opportunity to do a little more digging to make sure the SP4 is THE board for me, without the benefit being able to actually listen to one first. Any more feedback from SP4 owners out there, particularly on the sound quality?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Sound quality is awesome. Consider this: I own every major orchestral library from VSL to Project Sam to EWQLSO and also own Lounge lizard, Omnisphere, Kontakt 4, just a lot of soft synths. As soon as I got my SP4 which was originally just for it's semi weighted action as a controller, I fell in live with it's sounds. Seriously great sounds and so easy to program your own custom setups. Sound wise it kills all other digital pianos.

Archived