FWAxeIbanez's Obscure Band Appreciation thread, #2

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

I'm kinda bored, and thought I'd rant a little bit about a band I've been listening to lately. I really don't know as much about these guys as I did about Amanda Woodward, and I really don't even know if they are that obscure, but I thought they deserved a mention. Stephen Brodsky's Octave Museum. It's great stuff, and from the guy from Cave-in.

Spacey, folky (kinda), rocky, pop songs. It's kind of a mouthful, and sounds a bit lame, but put it on and you'll understand. You could say it is a bit "vintage minded" too. It would definitely fit well between a zeppelin album and a mars volta album. Hell, it would fit well near a pinback album too. Elliott Smith? I dunno, you just gotta listen because I could go all day. Black Crowes? Quitter?

Stephen Brodsky's Octave Museum. Just pop that into a Soulseek search next time you are wanting to listen to something new. :thu: Oh, and it would help to not expect anything remotely heavy, if that doesn't really go without saying already from all the comparisons.

Calling Sixthsense, and possibly Telephant, but that might be a stretch. Chime in, if you've heard it.

• Members

Originally posted by 496dart

you sound really, really unsure about the public approving of the "music" you are listening to. Dont be a sheep . wow. dont ask the public what you should like--thats the problem with todays sheeple.

I'm not asking if it's ok to like it. I'm saying it struck a chord with me and I've been putting it on a lot lately.

Check it out, it's pretty upbeat sometimes, but never in a bad way.

• Members

Originally posted by 496dart

No thanks--

but listen to what you want bro

haha sure.

Anyone interested should check out "Prove Myself" first. I think it's great songwriting. Very basic, but very complete. Vocal lines rock, everything. Although any song would probably work fine.

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

haha sure.

Anyone interested should check out "Prove Myself" first. I think it's great songwriting. Very basic, but very complete. Vocal lines rock, everything. Although any song would probably work fine.

this statement ALWAYS equals a simplistic view that the listener can identify thus making it acceptable. way to find an out for the common.

• Members
Originally posted by sixthsense

hmm...it sounds really old school, like 60's/70's kind of stuff. I'll have to listen to it again. That album has an awesome cover btw. Oh and dude, did you still want to do the speaker swap?

Yessir. And yeah, I'd think it'd fit pretty well in the 70's. Except for the outstanding production. I think this album sounds fantastic.

Go hydrahead. Those guys don't care what you sound like, if you are good and interesting, they'll sign you. Gotta love that. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by nvcreations

this statement ALWAYS equals a simplistic view that the listener can identify thus making it acceptable. way to find an out for the common.

I'm not sure you even understand what you're saying. You're trying too hard. If someone doesn't agree with my opinion of the band, and dislikes them altogether, then they know to skip over my recommendations the next time around. What was really lost? And how is it simplistic? Your statement is largely gibberish.

Look guys, I come from a small town that is more or less a musical black hole. I missed out on seeing a lot of amazing bands because I didn't stumble blindly onto them in time. Now that I'm into forums and such, I'm finally meeting more people with similiar tastes and I get to see what they are listening to as well.

I get to give a band free publicity, and usually (like my last thread) I get a few "If you like this, you might like..." type posts.

No need to go on attack mode. I'm just trying to get a band some attention I think they deserve.

• Members

Originally posted by JoshuaLogan

hmm never heard of this one. i'll have to check 'em out since I know you and I why like a lot of the same music. amanda woodward = great by the way. apparently I missed that thread.

Search for it man... I don't know if the search is up yet, but when you can you should look it up. There was a TON of great music discussed in that thread. It was exactly what I was wanting it to be.

Archived