Mesa V30's or mc90's or X pattern of both

warped79

• Members

Hi - I was hoping someone could give me their thoughts on this. I have a Mesa Recto oversize v30 4x12.. Does anyone think I'd gain much from changing 2 of the V30's out for 2 Mesa mc90 (Black Shadow) speakers to make an X pattern? How do the mc90's compare to the v30's in Mesa cabs? I'm using the cab for de-tuned metal with a Sherlock Fat Head (I guess it can have a similar sound to a dual rect for reference)

Thanks!

Daz m/

• Members

Originally posted by stangme01

just don't get v30's cause they really suck IMO. The only time i've heard them sound good is in the mesa traditional cab (not the oversized) besides that they sound like ass.

You won't find too many opinions like this. Sure, not everybody loves V30s but I personally consider them one of the better speakers out there. I know many will agree.

I would go with the V30s over the C-90s, which can be too bassy and lack that upper midrange cut. I love C-90s for clean tones (I have one in my F-50) but for distorted stuff, I prefer V30s by a long shot.

V30s have a lot of bass too, it's very tight though so it cleans up a bassy amp a lot without taking bass out. They also have a fairly aggressive sounding midrange.

• Members

Well I definately don't want any more bass out of this cab - esp with the de-tuning.. I think I'll save my money and skip getting the 2 c90's on ebay and put the $350 towards something else... (Like Amp Mods!!).

I've heard some people rave about the c90 Mesa cabs being better than the V30 cabs - thought I'd get some new opinons..

Thanks for your help guys!!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by warped79

Well I definately don't want any more bass out of this cab - esp with the de-tuning.. I think I'll save my money and skip getting the 2 c90's on ebay and put the $350 towards something else... (Like Amp Mods!!).

I've heard some people rave about the c90 Mesa cabs being better than the V30 cabs - thought I'd get some new opinons..

Thanks for your help guys!!

Meh...

Get a Mesa trad. 4x12 (sounds thick, vintage 30's), or for less, a Marshall 1960a (Less bass, more clarity).

Archived